136 or 144

Snowdad- when you did your drop brackets, did you have to adjust shock geometry up in the front of the tunnel to prevent binding? Or didn't ya jack it up high enough that it wasn't an issue?
Tunnel extension I'll do and the skid extension, Hartman said he'd help me out on that.

Last edited:

typically no adjustments are necessary, but i only raise the rear enough to suit the track choice along with a slight drop of the front mount holes to compensate. if you keep everything within the same arc using templates, you will be surprised at high high you can actually go.

i always make provisional holes in my drop brackets for one step higher and one lower for fine tuning if needed, track lug specific. on those chassis's, i just duplicate the original mounting holes for that funny 3 bolt triangular mount and re-install my new drops with button head allens along with whizlock nuts and loctite. drops end up being about 5" wide and you can get creative on he lower portion that extends below the tunnel. almost a "T" shape to reduce bulk, but not necessary. i simply use a table saw and chop saw for the rough shape, fine tune with the grinder and sanding wheel.

Thanks for the comments guys.

I'll try to get some pics of the cooler to you this week. I was out in Colorado for work the past two weeks. And not much time before i leave again.

cooler pics

Here are some pics. Sorry it took so long.

Attachments

• pink camera 057.jpg
    pink camera 057.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 7
  • pink camera 058.jpg
    pink camera 058.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 7
Yes. It was the one that came with the sled a 95 vmax4. I'm assuming it was the original cooler. I cut it where it made the bend. Then milled the ends square and had it welded up.

Now the 96XT and the 97 Vmax4 have the same rear cooler as it sits up in the tunnel cut out. Not mounted to the bottom of the tunnel like my 95. My guess was Yamaha needed more room for travel with the proaction.

Do you see any problem not making it flat. And then mounting it it the rear of the tunnel extension I'll fabricate. I'll probably extend the tunnel 18ish inches. It'll be close to the same size as the one in the picture in post #1. But I can do whatever it takes.

cant recall of those had the front exchanger or not, but i have done a couple of those chassis without the bend on the rear cooler without any ill effects. in fact, even ran a few without the front cooler without overheats except in extreme icy conditions. in hindsight, ice scratchers would would have been the ticket, but who knew about those way back then.

i realize we ride in different conditions out here than what you have back there, but i sent one out the door with that same mod to the rear exchanger due to the fact the st style was unavailable for that project and the recipient never had any heating issues. on the flip side, i eliminated that same cooler on a 93 exciter sx way back when, and it would flash the temp light on hard pack. again, pre- scratcher days.

i have a short track rear cooler sitting in the scrap pile you can have for shipping if you want a practice one.

Do you see any problem not making it flat. And then mounting it it the rear of the tunnel extension I'll fabricate. I'll probably extend the tunnel 18ish inches. It'll be close to the same size as the one in the picture in post #1. But I can do whatever it takes.

The only thing I could see is you'll have coolant hoses exposed and the back of the stock seat would need modifications. You could make a cover to hid the hoses and have it but up tight against the seat back to hide the mod. I have no idea what would happen cooling wise not running it with the rear cooler. I think they tried it on the viper one year and alot of people added one due to over heating.

Back