Need Help, Srx Headlight relay install

wanasrx

I have the headlight relay and wiring but no directions. Can someone help? Does the existing wiring plug into the new? It has two other plugs also on the other end????? A total of 4 pluds are on it , one which is for the relay itself. :o| ;):D

you'll have to use the harness as a jumper from the headlamp hi-low switch under the handlebar pad area, then install the relay behind the left footwell cover (as you sit on the sled). the relay replaces the existing headlamp relay and does not go into the harness that comes with it. the wiring goes under the handle bar pad area. what it is, is a bypass of sorts. i have done it to my 01 srx a few years ago, it wasnt that hard. but without being there and looking right at it i cant give exact directions. if you go to your dealer they have the bulletin and the directions on which wires to attach to. if i remember right you leave one current wiring plug loose and not in use. ski

Last edited:
Ski,
I guess you don't have to untape the existing wires to the old relay, you kind of leave them in place but do not use? Leave old relay out also?
New wires have the end that goes to the new relay with another plug at that end with about a six inch lead. The opposite end has two plugs, one which looks like it would go to the hi/low beam switch and another lead about 2 inched long with a plug. Where that goes I can't tell.(it has one wire ). My local dealer is crap, they've never even heard of the relay.
Thanks for your help. :rockon:

This is the description given for an '01 SRX:

Remove the three screws securing the left side of the instrument panel.
Remove the handlebar pad assembly and disconnect the high/low beam switch three pin coupler (Yellow/Green/Blue wires in the switch side; Green/Blue/White or Green/Blue wires in the main harness side).

Install the new sub-harness assembly in-line between the two high/low beam switch couplers.

Route the sub-harness assembly along the left side of the steering gate using the existing plastic wire bands to secure it.

Remove the existing unit headlight relay (blue color). Connect the new sub-harness at the headlight relay coupler. Then, connect the new relay to the new sub-lead.

Reinstall the instrument panel and handlebar pad assembly.

There is a graphic description of this in the Tech manual showing where each connector goes, however I don't have the ability to take a pic of it and post it.

In a nut shell, disconnect coupler of high/low beam switch and connect wire sub-lead.
Route the wire along the other wires down along the steering gate using the existing plastic ties. Remove the existing relay and connect wire sub-lead to wire harness. Also, connect new relay to wire sub-lead

(There are four ends of the new wire harness; two of them should be connected at the top where the high/low beam switch is (unplug existing and plug the ends between them) and the other end (lower left side) also has two new plug ends; plug what looks like the small end into the vacancy left after removing the old relay, and plug the larger end into the new provided relay.

Make sense?

Have fun. Hope it fits, cause it sure didn't on my '02.

Jon

Back