MM more power?

Kodman

hey guys i have a 2001 yamaha mountian max 700 and would like to get more power out of it everything is stock and i use ths as a trapping sled as well as a fun sled so reliability is very important whats the best mods todo?

1 layer head gasket mod and drill out the exhaust can.But you will need to run premium fuel.Work on clutching as weell,make sure all components are ok..such as bushings,springs,belt center to center..etc

Reed stopper notch, hauck headgasket and a decent heel clicker setup.

i personally would not do the head gasket as you need to make sure you have good quality gas at all times. that can be hard back in the woods while trapping based on my experience. all the other stuff is good to go though.

I did the reed stopper notches, boyesen reeds and dropped the main jets down one size and seemed to really crispen up the throttle response alot, didn't cost much either.

Ya, forgot about dropping the main jets. They came pig rich from the factory. If you don't do long runs at real cold temps, you can drop them.

we put triple pipes on the 98 xtcp 700 and man that thing was making good power.Throttle response was crisp to say the least.Gas mileage does suffer some,but that is the price for the "FUN FACTOR" I guess.Stepson(his sled) had no problem racing the newer Doo's either,they could not keep up with him.

i know the stopper notch and spacers do the same thing, but i am a bigger fan of the spacers ever since i went to put in my own set of spacers in and saw that 4 of the 6, un notched stoppers were cracked! i just feel the notch would make them even more prone to cracking.

Do you have updated reed stoppers? There was a update on them once.
I ordered the stainless stoppers at the beginning of last season. Put the notch on them as well. Still looks good. The stainless are very sturdy. I ordered mine through a Cat dealer with a Parts Unlimited catalog. They're a lot closer than the Yami dealer.

Last edited:
The wife's MM has a bender package on it with the triple pipes, reeds, & clutch kit. That thing boogies down for a redhead!

Everybody has mentioned a lot of great ideas. I didn't see anybody mention the gears, If you are still running the 21/40 gears in there, it wouldn't hurt to go to a 20 tooth top gear. You'll need to go to a 68 tooth chain then as well. You could also go to a 19/39 setup. But I liked the gear drop to 20/40, nice kick when you're hitting the throttle, but don't lose too much top end.

Back