I Got A Sno Scoot!

Backwoods M Max

Well not me, but my father in law found one for my not yet born son. He bought one for my wife and her sister when they were 6 and 8 twenty five years ago so it was a nice nostalgic throw back for him. The plastic is good, it has a faired windshield with some gold/black decals that look to be a special edition. It will need a track, ski spindle bolt bushings and I'm thinking some ski skins. It runs pretty good now but I'll give the carb a good cleaning when we pull it apart for the track and replace the fuel line and in tank filter.

Are there any other common issues to address when rehabing one of these sleds?

scoot-scoot.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 30

This one came from barre vt. Everything on it looks original it doesn't seem to have any aftermarket stuff on it or been monkey'd around with.

great to see!

if its an 88 the carbs can be a real PITA! awesome little machines- keep an eye on the driveshaft, the splines were prone to rusting and deteriorating then stripping/slipping. inspect it when you do the track. a huge upgrade for young kids is to change the brake to a hydraulic set up off a Nytro. i'll post pics of my set up if you wish. other than that just usual wear and tear. I installed a remote kill switch good for up to 250 feet, heated bars, nytro brake etc..

the windshield and fairing though are definitely not factory. That is from a phazer, a very common mod guys do to them. They never came with one. The gas line is an odd ball size fyi, 5/16 ID. check out snoscootman.com and snoscoot.com for parts and great technicial info on that site!

I just got a scoot for my son & am very interested in the brake conversion! my sons hands are too small for good brake control.

I would love to see how to do the hydraulic brake conversion. Since we will have it torn down it would be an ideal time to do it. I will have to get a pic of the decals on the cowl because they reminded me of an srv but probably are from a phazer. They are 4 layer black/gold stripes and the Yamaha decal is black and gold. The thing is super fun, we're a little bummed about the track but we'll get it all tuned up by the time the little guy is here.

okay fellas.. here it is.. this is my 2015 Yamaha Sno Scoot that I just gave to my son for Christmas.. I restored it over the past 7 months from a trashed scoot I found.. lots of elbow grease..

for the brake, here is why I like it.. the crappy old mechanical brake on them is junk for the following reasons 1= it sticks out way to far for small hands to grab 2= it is very hard for a small hand to pull- takes strength 3= the stopping power is crap compared to hydraulic dual piston of a Nytro - this equals way way better stopping power, an adjustable lever (adjust it so its close to the bar for small hands, easier to reach), and super super easy to squeeze since its hydraulic.. So.. grab yourself a used caliper and brake lever from a Nytro on ebay. I got one off an 08 for 40 bucks. A steal since the caliper lists for 340 bucks new. take the rotor off, flip it around then slide it back on, position the Nytro caliper, then make yourself a little bracket to mount it too, run the cable up underneath the steering post then mount the lever and reservoir, super easy and bolts right on. This is THE best mode you could ever do to a scoot and now your kids can stop safely and actually have a chance of getting stopped. too many kids panicking trying to pull that old crappy stock brake.

Next thing, the stock tail light switch on the scoot is the exact same as on the nytro - crazy eh 20 years later!, except for the plug- just swap the plug on the nytro switch for the scoot switch and your tail light will still work.

next thing, take your high/low beam switch and relocate it where you want it - easy. got mine right in front of bar clamps.

then, get yourself a remote kill switch from 3built and install it. another huge safety upgrade

IMG-20141224-01759.jpgIMG-20141207-01607.jpgIMG-20141213-01683.jpgIMG-20141220-01715.jpgIMG-20141223-01743.jpgIMG-20141223-01730.jpgIMG-20141204-01563.jpg

Thanks man! I'm on it. C&A's & front fairing looks good too. Is your mounting bracket aluminum? how thick of a piece? looks like 1/2 inch plate?

Thanks man! I'm on it. C&A's & front fairing looks good too. Is your mounting bracket aluminum? how thick of a piece? looks like 1/2 inch plate?

ya the C&A;s are sweet! Huge improvemtn over the stock steely's in turning ability and weight.

the plate is aircraft grade aluminum, sandblasted to remove the tool markings and take the shine off it so it doesn't grab they eye too much!

Here's some pics of the plate todd..
where are you in upstate NY?!

Attachments

• IMG-20141105-01421.jpg
    IMG-20141105-01421.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG-20141114-01481.jpg
    IMG-20141114-01481.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG-20141204-01567.jpg
    IMG-20141204-01567.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG-20141220-01709.jpg
    IMG-20141220-01709.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG-20141220-01710.jpg
    IMG-20141220-01710.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG-20140601-00819.jpg
    IMG-20140601-00819.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 9
Thanks again! those pieces look cnc machined ! You work at a machine shop? I'll get the parts 1st & then I'll figure out a plan. I live in the Saratoga Springs, Lake George area.

Thanks again! those pieces look cnc machined ! You work at a machine shop? I'll get the parts 1st & then I'll figure out a plan. I live in the Saratoga Springs, Lake George area.

Yupp its machined.. if there is enough interest I may do a run of them for guys. id make 5 at a time.

I LOVE that area you live!!!! I asked my wife to marry me in Bolton Landing, near the Sagamore hotel. My dad is a big horse guy, he loves Saratoga Springs. So jealous you live there.

also, try to get a set up that has the caliper still hooked up.. that way you don't need to bleed anything.. that caliper is pretty high end, could be a PITA to bleed. I purposely got one that was still all together. ive seen them range on there from 40 to 175 for the complete set up. be patient and wait for the right deal/price and try the best offer feature. Also, im pretty sure there is a guy somewhere near you the parts out Yamaha 4 strokes exclusively, so rx1, venture, apex, nytro's etc... run the nytro part numbers for the brake set up on parts.com or partzilla and see what other sleds it may be on. other set ups may work just as well too im sure but im only familiar with the fitting the Nytro set up.

Back