2002 780 Big Bore - What Other Mods To Do?

Big Bore Pipes

I have to second the big bore pipes!! Once you add these it wakes up this engine like crazy.. If you decide to do the pipes it will change your complete set up so you will need clutching and gearing again... Id do the pipes first!!!

As in a silencer?

I don't know what the previous owner updated me with, it might mean a lot...or not...but he said it has an "improved cdi box". Can someone fill me in about this, I'm semi-tech savy when it comes to sleds, but not "improved cdi box".

They are kind of hard to find used but for $1300 you can still get them new from Bender. I picked up a used set awhile back reasonable but I plan to use them on a 780 I picked up a couple weeks ago.

Power Incs are great on a stock engine but when you start uping the displacement, the big bores will have much more volume and better performance. The power Incs would be a slight improvement over stock though.

Good to know, seeing how I don't want to spend an 'arm and a leg' for a new big bore exhaust setup, I'll scour around for those Power Inc's.

To see any noticeable gains over the stock pipes you need a big bore specific pipe. Bender is the most common. There are other companies that can build a set.

Last edited:
One other thing to consider with the Big Bore pipes is that there not going to exit the stock hole so you will probably have to cut some extra holes in your right side panel. Nothing big but I have an 02 SRX that I bought new and had a 780 BB on it that I used for trail use and didn't want the extra noise or to have to cut holes in the side panel. I still have the 2002,2000 and a 1998 so I will cut the holes on the 98 as it has extra holes already.

I just messaged a guy here in Canada who is selling a Power Inc. pipes w/ can, depending on how much he's selling it all for, I am interested!

I think it was a Cyberdine from Summit Racing. A must have for under $100. I would run in snow at around 145 and run up to around 180 in low snow. It has a blink alarm that you can set for high temp. And you can recall highest temp. But it resets after you turn the sled off.

Now I'm thinking about getting studs for the track (Cobra 1.38"). Now my question is, what size/length stud should I use, without it damaging the heat exchanger (rad)?

Back