2002 780 Big Bore - What Other Mods To Do?

With stock drivers you can only go with like 1.075 length studs and a 1" lug track. You can go a little longer on the studs but the track has to be run tighter. With a 1.25 track lug you need to trim the lugs that are in line with the tunnel protectors and you wouldn't be able to stud unless you go with smaller drivers and that changes other things like cluthing and gearing. That 780 needs to be studded or you will just be spinning the track while the stock 700's go flying by you.

With stock drivers you can only go with like 1.075 length studs and a 1" lug track. You can go a little longer on the studs but the track has to be run tighter. With a 1.25 track lug you need to trim the lugs that are in line with the tunnel protectors and you wouldn't be able to stud unless you go with smaller drivers and that changes other things like cluthing and gearing. That 780 needs to be studded or you will just be spinning the track while the stock 700's go flying by you.

Well the previous owner put on a new 1.38" lug track and no signs on the lugs of rubbing up against the heat exchanger/rad.

So after finding out a bit more slowly at a time about the SRX I have, it has the following:

- Simons Stage II 780 Big Bore Kit
- Simons Improved CDI Box
- Clutched (clutching specs still unknown)
- Jetted (152.5)
- Cobra 1.38" Lug Track
- Koso Temp Gauge

The further improvements I want to make/add is:

- Studs
- Exhaust (Hauck, Bender or Power Inc.)

Until then, money is a factor and it won't be till sometime after March, 2016. I think I found a set of Power Inc. pipes and can (silencer), will have to wait till tomorrow (November 30th) for pictures. One question, how much do these Power Inc. pipes and can (silencer) go for used these days?

Last edited:
That could be the box from Hauck, it's just a viper CDI

I had a message passed on from the previous owner, the improved CDI box isn't a Hauck one, it was specifically made from Simons for that 780 Big Bore Kit. Made for 700 ft. racing. I'm getting it shipped to me on Wednesday.

Last edited:
Does it still have the front tunnel protectors on that go over the front heat exchanger and if it does then how many teeth are the front drivers?

Oh, and if anyone in here knows, I was referred by a guy in Ontario, to "look for either a set of 38mm tmx's or a set of mach z 38 mm flat slides that are racked". Now I have a couple of questions. What type of Mach Z, an 800 triple, or 780 triple? Lastly, those 38mm tmx's, are they the single carbs like I have depicted below?

Pic #1 (1999 Mach Z Flat Slide Carbs)
$_57.jpg

Pic #2 (TMX 38mm Carb)
$_12.JPG

You want the 800 carbs and the nozzles are usually huge and need changing in a 780 srx. I'd have to look back at my notes to give you better info. I ran stock carbs, bored carbs, Mach z 38s, and TMX 38s before going to lectrons. They all have their good and bad points but bored carbs were the worst of them all IMO

You want the 800 carbs and the nozzles are usually huge and need changing in a 780 srx. I'd have to look back at my notes to give you better info. I ran stock carbs, bored carbs, Mach z 38s, and TMX 38s before going to lectrons. They all have their good and bad points but bored carbs were the worst of them all IMO

Okay thanks. I'm not looking to have the fastest machine around, so I'm not wanting to pour a lot of money into it. I will be searching and searching for a good deal (if it ever arises) for a used 780 big bore exhaust. For the time being, what would be the best setup for my carbs? The carbs are stock and just jetted at 152.5.

the power inc are great pipes. slightly better than stk and stk is very good. can,t beat bender big bores like i posted. i also have a 780 in my 02 but with stk pipes. 3:16X (yammie tony)

the power inc are great pipes. slightly better than stk and stk is very good. can,t beat bender big bores like i posted. i also have a 780 in my 02 but with stk pipes. 3:16X (yammie tony)
Tonight, I was told to stay away from POWER INC. pipes, or any other non-780 big bore pipes, because for a 780, it needs 780 big bore pipes.

If you have a decent lead on a set of Power Inc. pipes and they don't want a fortune for them then I would take Tony's word on how well those pipes work and pick them up.

If you have a decent lead on a set of Power Inc. pipes and they don't want a fortune for them then I would take Tony's word on how well those pipes work and pick them up.

Yeah? The guy who suggested not to get them Power Inc. pipes, builds race sleds and trail big bore's. He said on the 780 big bores, Power Inc's aren't that much different than stock pipes.

Yeah? The guy who suggested not to get them Power Inc. pipes, builds race sleds and trail big bore's. He said on the 780 big bores, Power Inc's aren't that much different than stock pipes.
It was stated they are slightly better by tony. Pretty sure nobody would argue big bore pipes are the way to go. If cost is an issue then you really should stick to stock anyway. I wouldn't lay out cash for slightly better.

It was stated they are slightly better by tony. Pretty sure nobody would argue big bore pipes are the way to go. If cost is an issue then you really should stick to stock anyway. I wouldn't lay out cash for slightly better.

Yeah, for the moment, I am going to find a good set of spare SRX carbs and a 800 Mach Z flat slide carbs and get them sent to someone who knows their work and can mod the Mach Z carbs with using the spare SRX carbs to work on my sled.

Last edited:

Back