Viper rebuild, finally

03viperguy

Been a few years waiting to do it, finally there. List the center bearing a few years back. It's on its way home from a rebuild by Midwest crank. Question...If my pistons check out to be in spec, not gouged, should I just reuse them? New rings obviously. The caveat, the motor has 9000 miles. Opinions please!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

When I redid my top end my pistons and cylinders spec's out so just reringed. But if out of spec new rings will buy you some time but eventually the pistons will start rocking and break a skirt. Then there goes your new crank!

I would replace the pistons for peace of mind. You know new ones will go another 9k. A used one could break at any time and cause a lot of damage.

I had 8000 on mine when I put new rings in and they were well withing spec. These engines wear well if taken care of.

Mine was also very well taken care of, exactly why I am kind of leaning towards using the originals if within spec. original owner, and always picky about how it was warmed up etc. was pretty bummed the crank let go, just a real damp spring and ended up with a little rust on the bearing. otherwise it was a trouble free 9k miles :)

Mine was also very well taken care of, exactly why I am kind of leaning towards using the originals if within spec. original owner, and always picky about how it was warmed up etc. was pretty bummed the crank let go, just a real damp spring and ended up with a little rust on the bearing. otherwise it was a trouble free 9k miles :)

I was told and believe that spec is spec regardless of age. As long as no other defects are seen I would reuse and not even think about it. I got 10000 on mine 2000 since rering and it runs as good as it ever has. Now that miles will slow down on it I will rering again with another 2000 miles.

just ordered rings, wrist pin bearings and clips, and crank seals. Should be up and running in the next few weeks! pretty damn excited! Thanks Port Yamaha

got in the rest of the parts, starting to clean and then assemble. checking the old rings, just because we can. compressed and slid into the jug. measured the opening between the ends to see how much wear. zero. exact same measurement as the brand new ones. I guess I was still strong at 9000 miles! damn rust on the crank! I had many more miles to go!

Yeah i almost always change them, peace of mind. any little play does not do the lower rod bearing any good.

anyone happen to have a picture of the oil line routing? want to make sure I have it right and after 5 years (+/-) it's a little foggy. and what's everyone run for premix in the first tank after a rebuild? thanks boys! hoping to have the motor in the chassis by the end of the day, motor is all assembled!

no need to premix fuel, just start it up and hold the oilpump cable out for the first minute or so and your good to go.

what do you mean oil line routing, on the bottom of the case? otherwise theres only the line from the oiltank to the pump on engine.

Back