fuel filter for dirty pilots jets. 3:16x

There is one in the tank but it doesn't hurt to have another one just in case the tank filter starts to break down and lets some crap get through. Mine had one on it when I bought it, left it on there and hadn't had any problems with it.

Another question, how old is your fuel filter in the tank? I bet it's many many many years, start by replacing that.

is it dirt, or varnish clogging them up? fuel filter would fix dirt but not varnish, thats dreaded ethanol. maybe try adding fuel stabilizer if its going to sit for an extended period.

I maintain 2 vipers, 1 venom, 2 srx's and a vmax for my family. We get dirty premium from the gas station down the road. I was consistently having to pull carb racks because of it. I installed inline fuel filters on all of them and its made a huge difference. No more mid season carb cleaning.

How did you determine what inline filter to install? I have to pull my carb rack to clean them and am thinking the in tank filter isn't doing much anymore. How do you even get that one out?

Remove airbox, loosen the fitting, push the filter out the filling hole, replace and put everything back in place again.

Last edited:
Going to stop at dealer for a new filter today. I bet this is why my carbs keep getting clogged. I would bet it's never been changed by previous owners, or me yet (I've owned it 4 years).

Remove airbox, loosen the fitting, push the filter out the filling hole, replace and put everything back in place again.

The hose is long enough to pull it out through the fill hole and change it right there. remove the white neck thats in the tank then catch the hose with a hook. avoid the float if you have an electric fuel gauge. The yamaha filter is rather large and won't fit through the bulkhead fitting. I know exactly what your referring to on other sleds. I've found a weighted clunk on polaris and doo sleds that will pass through the bulkhead, these filters won't

I just did my Viper today. The hose was not long enough to get the filter out of the fill hole. Close, but not enough. My buddy and I pulled a bit and the hose tore right at the suction fitting at the bottom of the tank, so the hose was fairly deteriorated and weak. I put in new 5/16' blue ethanol resistant fuel line and installed the new filter. The spring clip at the bottom of the tank is reusable. I opted to NOT lengthen the hose as the new hose was less flexible and I was worried about it not laying flat on bottom of tank (and therefore not picking up fuel still in tank). So I went with a nice straight section of what I bought, and left it at 11". Then I cleaned my carbs. :D

From what I gather, I guess I need to see if the hose is long enough to fish the filter out with a hook/pliers etc, if not I need to remove the air box and then remove the "suction fitting", and then remove the hose from the fitting, then I can fish out the filter through the fill cap hole correct?

If it's not long enough you will remove the suction fitting and disconnect inner fuel tank house from it. Tie a long string to the hose end nice and tight. Then fish the filter and disconnected inner tank hose out of fill hole. Change filter (and hose if it looks weakened. Mine looked fine but was brittle when we pulled on it).

Use string to pull the hose back through lower tank opening. Reinstall hose on auction fitting, slide up the spring clip and then remount auction fitting nice and snug but carefully so you don't strip it. Before you reinstall the fitting make sure rubber o ring is clean of debris. My bolts had red locktite on them which I was surprised to see. I used blue this time.

If the hose isn't long enough you can use a barbed fitting or a piece of threaded rod or even a small wood dowl, stick one end in the hose, get another piece of fuel line and stick it on the other end to make your hose longer, then you can pull the filter through the hole.

Back