fuel filter for dirty pilots jets. 3:16x

Thanks got that link. I'm curious how you determined that wouldn't adversely affect fuel delivery for the sled. I see it can flow 1 gallon per hour. I think it's a good call to add an easy to replace filter outside the tank. That filter is a pain and at least on a Viper you will only be able to remove that suction fitting at the bottom of the tank so many times before those threads start to wear/strip out.

I'm curious how you determined that wouldn't adversely affect fuel delivery for the sled. I see it can flow 1 gallon per hour.
That's 1 gal/ minute, not hour. If your going through 1 gallon per minute, you've got bigger problems.

Burst Pressure (psi): 58 psi
Flow Rate (gpm): 1 gpm
Inlet Size (In): 5/16 Inch
Material: Plastic
Filter Media: Plastic Mesh
Micron Rating: 50 Micron
Outlet Size (In): 5/16 Inch
Outside Diameter (In): 2.086 Inch
Style: In-Line

The filter is designed to function as the "clunk" and move around to find the low spot. Same deal as a chain saw so the pickup is alway in the deepest corner. If you can look in your tank with a descent flashlight the filter should be up against the back of the tank with the gas line straight. If you couldn't get yours out it might have been cut previously when the filter was replaced. Ethanol resistant hose is good. Just make sure it's something good like tygon that stays flexible when its cold. That is the benefit of the grey yamaha hose is its rubber not plastic and moves even when it gets cold.

Backwoods M Max is totally right. I replaced this on mine because it was 20 years old and all stiff, along with a new hose in the tank. After a little fiddling, I got it at the lowest point possible, when I summerized my VT500, it sucked the tank bone dry.

Hmm. So this worries me a bit. I had the concern about the hose not being flexible at all. I wonder if I should just buy the Yamaha part and swap it out. It's only about $3!

The hose I used is blue plastic, definitely not rubber. And it's going to stay fairly straight and not really move around or slosh around. Is that bad? Is the deepest part of the tank the back (where it hits the seat)?

Last edited:
Hmm. So this worries me a bit. I had the concern about the hose not being flexible at all. I wonder if I should just buy the Yamaha part and swap it out. It's only about $3!

The hose I used is blue plastic, definitely not rubber. And it's going to stay fairly straight and not really move around or slosh around. Is that bad? Is the deepest part of the tank the back (where it hits the seat)?

What's more of a problem is that yamaha uses metric hose and available tygon hose is inch size. It's either too big and your relying on the clamp to keep it tight or a size too small and having to really shove it on then its smaller than oem. The back is meant to be the low spot. It's more of an issue on a mountain sled where its going to be getting laid over but assuming your running on fumes and go hard into a corner and slosh the gas to one side you want the clunk to follow the gas.

You know, funny you say that on the hose sizes. I found just that. 1/4" ID was a bit too small, and 5/16" fit snug, but not like the original.

I don't want to worry about it, so I ordered the hose and clip from the dealer for $6. They will have it tomorrow. I'll pull the airbox and just replace the intank hose with the proper one.

So I grabbed one of those Wix fuel filters tonight for my Viper. I was swapping out the fuel hose I used last week with the Yamaha supplied hose and am worried I nicked the tank filter when I was trying to fish it out of the tank. So I figured I'd put the filter on outside the tank. But it's much bigger than I expected. I don't see where I can fit it behind the air box on a Viper. The box fills almost all the room and is even notched for the fuel hose itself.

Any ideas or suggestions on mounting locations? I don't see many options.

Following up to my own post, I see two spots I could make this fit. One is way up high near the steering column and the other is low, next to the fuel pump on the frame floor.

Does the loop in the fuel line have to be there for properly fuel delivery and operation of fuel pump? Does it prevent burping or air in line or stuff like that? This is the loop I'm talking about. Any of my locations require changing that fuel loop.

321a507a80dfc7421c5e8491f74149ea.jpg

To change the line that the "in tank" filter connects to, did you have to drain the fuel tank? I would assume so but had to ask?

Also, to just change the "in tank" filter, can this be done without draining the fuel tank provided the line is long enough?

Yes you do have to drain the tank if you are going to replace the in tank hose (called the suction pipe on parts diagram). Careful with the 2 bolts holding the suction fitting to the tank too. If those end up stripping out, you will have quite a mess on your hands to fix.

If your in tank hose is long enough, I don't see why you would need to drain the tank, but I would rather do that than fish around inside a full tank of gas.

I don't think I'm going to add the inline filter. Just no good spot for it, and worried about creating other issues. I think the likliehood that I tore the element on my new in tank filter when removing it is very low. I didn't see any signs I tore it, but just felt like I gave it a couple of jabs.

steveg,

I may just drain it so I can get a good look in there. I bought a filter but I should have picked up some suction pipe also. Might as well replace the suction tube while I'm in there. I'm sure I'm dealing with original equipment and it's probably due a refresh.

The "in tank" filter is good enough for me. It was designed that way, so as long is it's maintained, it will probably be good to go imo.

Thanks for the info.

I'm with you. The only reason I was going to add the inline was because I was worried that I damaged the new in tank filter when I pulled it to replace the gas line I used in the tank last week, with the proper suction pipe from Yamaha. Just being paranoid. I don't want to pull those tank bolts again on the suction fitting if I don't have to, so thought the external in line would prevent that in the future. But I'm passing on that, so hopefully I'm correct and didn't damage the filter. Nothing I could see at least. Weird design though, to not be able to get it our of the tank easily.

I think I know what you men steveg_nh. You pulled on the gas line to the filter and then you got a slop in the nozzle of the filter right? If so, I did the same thing when replacing mine on a Venture 500. I think it should be good, the filter material covers the suction nozzle inside it anyway.

Actually no. I had the suction fitting off so there was no tension on the hose. What I did was reach into the filler opening with long needle nose pliers and grabbed the cage of the filter. I went a bit deep touching the element itself. I was worried I could have damaged the element/media.

I see, that sounds worse than my case. I think I'm going to open up a used one when I get home, to see how it is constructed inside.

Last edited:
I did break the nipple off an old one trying to fit the right size gas line though. It was just sliding in and out. Had a done that in a new one I would have replaced it.

Yes, breaking off is worse. Mine is just loose. I fit the suction hose tight against the "base" of the filter, so it would require a lot of suction to suck in contaminated gas in between the nipple and the base it is attached to.

Back