Viper heel clicker tuning

PMaine

Hi guys, I've been running heel clickers in my Viper for this season and I have a low rpm condition.

Tip. Mid. Sholder. Rpm
4.3. 3.3. 4.3. 8,000
0. 3.3. 4.3. 8,700
0. 4.3. 4.3. 8,600
4.3. 0. 4.3. 8,300
4.3. 0. 3.8. 8,000
3.3. 0. 3.8. 8,200

I can't seem to get my 8400. Any tips? Stock helix.

I think what I'm asking is, why does reduced tip weight not yield more rpm?

It seem like according to what you're showing, reduced tip weight does produce higher rpm.

Not according to the bottom setup, which is what I am currently running.

Red spring. Sled has a 136" track with a 1.25" paddle. Gearing has been dropped a tooth on bottom.

4.3. 0. 4.3. 8,300 but with 3,3 in tip. Yes I know it tells you to use the lock washer, but I dont think there will be a problem if you use locktite and watch that the bolt does not scratch the spider pocket.

your using the stock 47 degree helix so you cant run any real amount of weight in the arms to clamp the belt because your loading via the secondary clutch. You need a helix with shallower finish angle if you want to get some good performance from it. a single pipe viper makes its max hp output at 8600rpm ,not 8400rpm, try to get it at least at 8500 climb to 8600rpm is the sweet spot on top.

I found the following helix's to purchase:

41/35 or a 46/41 would either of these be worth doing or should I keep looking?

check with ulmer racing on this site he has some helix for sale.

No response from Ulmer, if you have any other contacts I'd really appreciate it.

I moved the tip weight to the middle, so I've got 3.3 in the heel and middle. I will report back.

you need to call ulmer, he will either answer or leave a message and he will call you back, he has the helixs you need and has good pricing on them. You can get all his information on this site where advertisers are, phone,etc.

Thanks, I called and left him a message.

The 3.3 in the mid and 3.3 in the heel works pretty good, RPM is at 8500 ish typically. I noticed that it's a bit inconsistent, it will rev to 8500 and shift back down to 8200 on occasion which I assume is the helix. Once I get the helix I will be curious to re-dial it in and see the difference!

its gonna be kinda all over with the stock 47 degree helix, the rear clutch is torq sensing so going from say hardpack to slushy stuff or powder to hardpack as examples. lowering rpm because it sees a increase/decrease in load, it tries to put it in a lower/higher gear depending on what conditions you go from. the intial 47 degree start is fine its the 47 degree finish is what screws it up.

get the multi angle helix in it and a new front hardware placement and youll find the full potential and smile on your face.

Awesome! Should I use the factory spring in the secondary? Should I get a new one? Thank for all your help!

im useing heavy hitters,in my stocker,team spring,naked it turns 8700 i put about 3.3 in the heel and am running a 43/39 super tourquer roller stock gears,pulls like its piped 0-86 mph as fast as i can get my thumb to the bar!! i have clickers i tried but just too heavy for 120 hp sled, pipe it and put those clickers to good use!!

im useing heavy hitters,in my stocker,team spring,naked it turns 8700 i put about 3.3 in the heel and am running a 43/39 super tourquer roller stock gears,pulls like its piped 0-86 mph as fast as i can get my thumb to the bar!! i have clickers i tried but just too heavy for 120 hp sled, pipe it and put those clickers to good use!!

that sounds like a good set up working well for you. I tried the heavy hitters back when I grass raced the viper when they were new. I got a better et with the heel clickers, and have since just stuck with what won me races. Theres all kinds of clutch set ups that will work, some do things better then others, as long as your on the right rpm, go for it if it works for you. the heel clcickers have just flat out worked awesome for me, I tried others but went back to these because they flat out worked the best.
I even ran almost the identical set up I give to people on here a couple years back on a oval race.( I geared the sled down for the 3/8 oval so I added another gram to the tip) I used my daughters single piped viper, it has 96 studs in the track with a 1 inch lug. I raced it in the 800 class with mach z 800 triple triple, srx 700 triple triple, pro x 800,zrt800 triple triple. It was a very icy day and they ran atv's on the track before this race so it was riding on loose snirt on ice basicly, so traction was not great. Youll notice me spin off the line and slide a bit going into the corner the first few laps... but watch the little heel clicker viper run those guys and win against those with much more hp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feFGlX3DOFU

Back