Anyone still running 500-600 twins?

norwegian

Norwegian-Americans are the funniest. When they don't know the traditions 100% right, hehe.

norwegian

I am going to clutch it now. The stock weights are way too light with this gearing, even though I tried to max out the total weight with small bolts and nuts. What weights can I use that are heavier? I have 8 bu 00 weights, hauck X weights, and some other weights but they all seem to be lighter than the 8AB weights. Also do the tall springs even fit in that clutch even with the tall cover? I tried and it scratched the spring.

Last edited:

74Nitro

I am going to clutch it now. The stock weights are way too light with this gearing, even though I tried to max out the total weight with small bolts and nuts. What weights can I use that are heavier? I have 8 bu 00 weights, hauck X weights, and some other weights but they all seem to be lighter than the 8AB weights. Also do the tall springs even fit in that clutch even with the tall cover? I tried and it scratched the spring.

8BU are heavier weights for sure. The 8CA is almost identical to the 8AB, except it is two grams heavier. I have used the 8DN-20 before loaded with the 4.5 gram rivets with the straight 43 helix.

norwegian

I had to go to hauck x (made for the srx) weights to get enough weight to keep it from overrevving. Now with fully loaded outer locationas on the weights (61 grams), and a straight 47 deg helix with red spring wrappet at 70 deg, it finally underrevs. It is geared down to 21/39. All I have to do now is to try another spring and helix combo and possibly lighten the weights a bit.

Last edited:

norwegian

Today:
Downside: I might have to replace the piston rings because I went too far with the throttle today, like 80% and the sled has like 111 km/ 69 miles on the new pistons and rings.
Upside: The dream o meter showed 100 mph, with 80% throttle!

norwegian

I don't think I may have caused piston damage, but have not ridden in a varied way, prolonged 3/4 throttle on the river. But I guess we will just have to see, I'll ride out this season with this anyway. The motor geels good. Also the variation is that there is a 1,3 mile trip to get to the river on a slow trail. And back again. When I have broken in the pistons and rings and give WOT, I'm sure I'll see 170 kph/ 105 mph even with that gearing, on the dreamometer.

norwegian

Allright, it's been 180 km since the pistons and rings so I tried it. The geotracker gps for android said 159 km/h (98,8 mp/h) in a "free" distance, not sure what it was. That's with a 21/39 gearing. According to the gearing calculator, the theoretical top speed is 92,5 mp/h or 148,9 km/h.

norwegian

Thanks. it is close to stock but not quite. It has hauck headgasket, dupont sliders, hauck x weights, hauck roller secondary and a 39 deg helix. Blue white blue in primary. 22/39 gearing now.

norwegian

Update: -2 c (36f). Compact but kind of soft trail, tailwind. 166 kph/103 mph on gps!

norwegian

Btw, the speedometer indicated pretty close to 180 kph ( 111,8 mph), I think it showed like 178 km/h (110 mph)

MURDER YAMAHA

VIP Life Member
I put my build on hold, as I am trying to finish my 835 motor.
But, when I tackle it, I will come find you.