one day in february

skidooboy

my good friend grape ape picked lynne and a very under the weather me, up at the house the first friday in february early in the evening. there was a warm up forcasted for everywhere south of hudson bay. our destination was backwood's Bill's place in the grand marais area of the UP of michigan by invitation from bushman. mostly an uneventful drive up, except for a stop at pondagrosa in gaylord, a fuel stop in st ignace, and a snow squall between newberry and seney. we arrived very late friday, actually early morning saturday at bill and kelly's place. met the group bushman brought up, including reddog, flounder, and pat. woke up to bill's common wake up call "HOLY F#$% GOMEZ!" (inside joke) this is our cue, to get up and start getting ready for breakfast. Now, i wanna tell you breakfast at bill's is no less than awesome. Kelly is one heck of a cook, and with her and bill hand picking blueberry's for our pancakes half the fall is very much appreciated every chance we get to try them. then you add in eggs, potatoes and anything else you want or need, you darn near cant roll yourself to your gear bag to get dressed to ride. Bill lives in grand marais and knows the area very well and guides us through the backwoods and two tracks to areas most only dream about finding. here are a few pics throughout the day as the story continues...

Attachments

• guide and host, bill.jpg
    guide and host, bill.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 33
  • small buny.jpg
    small buny.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:

bill, took us over the river, and through the woods, past the airport, out to see jerry at the hot dog stand under dreary skies, looking like it may rain at anytime. then out to the bush for playtime, it was like it was meant to be a great day, when the sun pierced the dark clouds and started to shine down on us making for a beautiful day. there was some bikini time in there somewhere but due to the past problems those pics will be ommited, sorry guys. it was about 55 that day and for those that were there, it was a sight to see. we started bowl hopping till we got deep into a river valley that we said look very deep but "doable". we talked it over then, bushman, grape and reddog decided it was time to see how deep was deep. after few short climbs testing the waters, bushy attempted a big climb and got almost out, till big red ate till she was standing on her tail. then the bungies came out for a workout. then we pushed reddog's buttons till he made the commitment for the big climb out, only to roll back down on his hood on the first try. after few laughs, alot of pictures, and some great fun, bill gave the signal to saddle up for more riding the two tracks....

Attachments

• bungies at work.jpg
    bungies at work.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 55
  • standing tall randy.jpg
    standing tall randy.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
more pics

Attachments

• flounder and bill.jpg
    flounder and bill.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 42
  • wheelie chris.jpg
    wheelie chris.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 24
  • up and sunny.jpg
    up and sunny.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 45
  • wheelie charlie.jpg
    wheelie charlie.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
more pics of one of randy's climbs ...

Attachments

• randy5.jpg
    randy5.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 51
  • randy4.jpg
    randy4.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 24
  • randy 3.jpg
    randy 3.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 23
  • randy2.jpg
    randy2.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 25
  • randy 1.jpg
    randy 1.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
cant forget charlie's climb....

Attachments

• charlie1.jpg
    charlie1.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 28
  • charlie2.jpg
    charlie2.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 23
  • charlie3.jpg
    charlie3.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 36
  • charlie4.jpg
    charlie4.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 31
  • charlie5.jpg
    charlie5.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 53
a very big stuck..... and all jammed up!

Attachments

• all jammed up 2.jpg
    all jammed up 2.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 32
  • bigstuck3.jpg
    bigstuck3.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 35
  • bigstuck2.jpg
    bigstuck2.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 25
  • bigstuck1.jpg
    bigstuck1.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 31
posers....

Attachments

• reddog.jpg
    reddog.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 21
  • grape ape.jpg
    grape ape.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 40
  • ski.jpg
    ski.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 37
  • draino.jpg
    draino.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 22
  • pat & the buny.jpg
    pat & the buny.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 47
well, low and behold we didnt travel too far and bill stopped us at a large bowl on top of a pine ridge in the same valley. i went up a cornice area to check the landing before trying to defy gravity too much, showing the group a path to a little air, some of us gradually tested the waters while others in the canine world decided, if alittle air was fun... alot was down right spectacular....

Attachments

• air charlie2.jpg
    air charlie2.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 54
  • air randy.jpg
    air randy.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 30
  • air charlie 1.jpg
    air charlie 1.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 49
  • air grape2.jpg
    air grape2.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 31
  • air ski.jpg
    air ski.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 55
after picking up the pieces of the carnage, reflecting and resting awhile, the shadows started getting longer, and bill cued us to start heading toward the homestead for the night. we picked our way through the two tracks, and a few groomed sections, soaking up the remainder of the days sunlight, and thinking back to all the fun and lasting memories made on this great day. i have skimmed over the days fun for your viewing pleasures, hope you enjoy the photos as much as we had making them. although most of you dont get the reminders that those of us that were there do by viewing these pics, know in these images those that were there made lasting memories for themselves and new friendships were formed. the sights, smells, and jokes told in sled camp, are those comparable to any comeradries done past and present. the way bill wakes us, the way camp smells at breakfast, crisp mornings with fresh snow and good friends to share the trail with, poking fun at getting stuck or missing a corner, burning down and getting towed (multiple times for some of us), boardmeetings, long pulls up steep banks, catwalks, carving 8's, dipping your head under pine boughs to go where no one has tracked today, sunsets with friends, sitting and listening to the snowfalling just before heading home to the camp for a fantastic charcoal grilled marinated filet mignon meal that sets you in a food coma, reliving the days events by photo on the dvd screen, late night card games, and jokes before bed, everyone turning in and falling fast to sleep without hardly a word, from all the excitement and enjoyment from a day those of us there will be hard pressed to ever forget. to my friends and now family that i honor and respect, here in photo and print, i salute you all. you are my salt of the earth, you brighten my days when i think back to them, i am proud and humbled to call you friends. thanks to you all, you got me through a very tough time, you know who you are.... thank you one and all. eric

Attachments

• sx.jpg
    sx.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 35
  • pat & randy.jpg
    pat & randy.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 26
  • bill & charlie.jpg
    bill & charlie.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 19
  • charlie eric and pat.jpg
    charlie eric and pat.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 20
  • groupsmall1.jpg
    groupsmall1.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Thanks Ski for the pics, and the story to go with them. You couldn't have said it better. If I had not met you or the other friends pictured above, I would not be as lucky in life as I feel I am.

if you guys like the story and pics, i'll pick a day we rode, and use verbage & our photos and try to write one a couple times a month. this can get us through the summer if we all did it. we can relive our best days over and over together. let me know, ski

That looks like a group of guys that really needs to go to the Mountains :) ===SRXSRULE===

Back