How Fast Do You Drive? Be Honest!!!!!

Diceman

I just replied to the post I NEED A FASTER SLED and it got me thinking, how fast to you guys ride on the trails? I am not a speed demon and have never understood guys wanting to drive in excess of 100 mph on trails. I want to make it home in one piece and don't want to hurt anyone else. So if you can be honest, how fast do you ride on the trails??? Let The Fun Begin!!!! Diceman

I think it's more fun to ride a tight twisty trail where you have to work your *** off to run 40-50 mph, rather than just letting it rip on a wide open trail.

Old Thumper said:
I think it's more fun to ride a tight twisty trail where you have to work your *** off to run 40-50 mph, rather than just letting it rip on a wide open trail.

AMEN!!! People: vote for this man!!!!! NOTHING, and i mean nothing i love more about snowmobiling than tearing a tight twisty trail, building a big sweat in -15*F weather. Total rush.

depends on the trail, this weekend the gps had a max of 86.5 mph with an average of 34 mph. on some trails 40 is too fast, but others (trail 8 in michigan) 80+ is safe in some spots! i ride fairly quick, but safe and at a comfortable pace.

Last edited:
i hit an average around 60 on the trailes around here and tehre pretty windy and most are only a little wider as the sled. u gotta go off teh trail to let other riders by coming the other way most of the time. my brotehr would ride 80 or so in the same trails. i only hit around 100 on the closed down roads on savoy and on the mountain(greylock). and i to love the bumps i get bored riding grey lock when its gromed i love goin 70 on 3 foot deep mogals.

Old Thumper said:

I am not a smart or good looking man but isn't 50 mph maybe just alittle fast for a tight, twisty trail. You might be a nice guy but I hope I never meet you on a tight, twisty trail that I am on. Diceman

On trails in northern Ontario that use logging roads and visibility is excellent for a mile or so ahead 100+ can be fun and relatively safe, for a while. Please slow down when you cannot see beyond your stopping distance as others use them roads as well. A tight twisty trail at a fast but controlled pace is fun too. Out of control, ripping down trails is definitely an adrenaline rush, but the risk of death to self and others is ridiculous and irresponsible.

However, the most fun of all is, off trail, in the deep, at much less than 50 mph. There just is not anything else like it, and if you haven't tried it long enough to develop a little skill at it, you are missing a lot. The feeling of blasting through powder and around trees, up hills, along the side of them, and back down them is unreal. In addition, you can wreck your sled without seriously hurting yourself. Try that at high speed. Even if you are lucky, it is still going to hurt. I have the aches and pains from years gone by to prove it.

Ding said:
On trails in northern Ontario that use logging roads and visibility is excellent for a mile or so ahead 100+ can be fun and relatively safe, for a while. Please slow down when you cannot see beyond your stopping distance as others use them roads as well. A tight twisty trail at a fast but controlled pace is fun too. Out of control, ripping down trails is definitely an adrenaline rush, but the risk of death to self and others is ridiculous and irresponsible.

However, the most fun of all is, off trail, in the deep, at much less than 50 mph. There just is not anything else like it, and if you haven't tried it long enough to develop a little skill at it, you are missing a lot. The feeling of blasting through powder and around trees, up hills, along the side of them, and back down them is unreal. In addition, you can wreck your sled without seriously hurting yourself. Try that at high speed. Even if you are lucky, it is still going to hurt. I have the aches and pains from years gone by to prove it.
well said as always!

Ding said:

I thought Ontario has a speed limit?

I ride about 25-40mph down most trails and wait for wide open spaces and lakes to open her up. Most importantly, I ride in control and slow enough to make all turns on my side of the trail.

i always take corners tight and keep right. i like to ride at night so i can see the head lights coming and can slow down befor hand. or seeing how im in school me and my buddy go out in teh weekday after noon when were usaly the only people on the trails. if its a saterday or sunday after noon we take it easy. but its only been the last few years when u had to start worring about meeting some one on teh trail around here. now every tom dick and harry have a sled and alot of them dont know any of the hand signals and are always one the left of the trail takeing corners. i dont remeber how many time ive give the 2 fingers for 2 riders still behind and they think im giving teh peace sing and give it back when they are the last or have 4 or 5 riders behind them.

Last edited:
2001SRX=Fast said:
As fast as the trail will let me go.

;)! ;)! It's not really about how fast. It's more about staying within your ability. I am a speed demon, but NEVER go faster than my ability to stay in control and not endanger someone else. On the throttle and always anticipating something or someone ahead of me. Staying right and slowing down in the corners;)!

It's the idiots that loose focus and don't think that endanger themselves and others. :o|

Under control in the twisties. On my hometown trails??? They are absolutely wide open country in many places so I guess I do break the law there ocaasionally.(shame on me) But I can see all around me ,so the only person I am endangering is myself.

Diceman said:
I am not a smart or good looking man but isn't 50 mph maybe just alittle fast for a tight, twisty trail. You might be a nice guy but I hope I never meet you on a tight, twisty trail that I am on. Diceman

Night riding is best for pushing hard in the twisties. Headlights give good advance notice of oncoming sleds, plus there's usually very few riders out. In daylight I am much more conservative on tight trails because I know well how oncoming traffic can show up at the worst time. I've been taken out by an out of control rider - I know and respect the risks. I'm not a yahoo Diceman - I know when to have fun and when to be cautious. Several times I've been the grumpy old guy chewing out the young hotdogs who are riding way over their head and way too fast for the situation. Also - I meant 40-50 as max, not average.

Last edited:
I dunno, I'm too busy holding on....D'oh! I always ride within my ability and am aware of my surroundings and respect the trail and other riders. Sounds cheezy, but something about it just makes sence.

Back