Giving the SRX a face lift

what kind of heater are you using in that room? those fumes, i believe, are flamable and you need plenty of good ventilation. not only for health, but for safety. and also, like all the other guys said, much goes out to ya for being a perfectionist. its the best way to learn (even if its not the cheapest, haha!)!

Hi guys!
Thanks alot for the nice replies, makes me really happy:). Makes it more fun to work.

SXviper32 the heater is a propane heater, but don`t worry I turn it off before I start painting:). There is a fan that is suppost to suck the spray-dust-gasses out of the room, but it`s really bad and almost doesn`t suck at all.
I have the window open when I paint to get fresh air, but with the fresh air comes also the colder air, so it`s not a good painting room.

I`m trying to find a cheap "brakke" (those ""houses"" that are being placed on construction areas, used as lunch room etc) that I can buy and use as a painting room. Would be cool to make it real nice inside, white walls, lights everywhere and a good suction fan.

If you look closely in the pictures you can see how bad the painting room is, I actually have to step carefully so that I don`t go through the floor.

I just got the hood back home, now it`s resting in our livingroom, can`t wait to put some decals on it.

Wellwell goodnigt, and thanks again for the nice replies:).

Hi guys!

While I`m waiting for clear paint I figured I had to do something with the hood air vent-webs :).

First I printed out some letters on photopapter:
HPIM1939Medium.jpg

Then I cut them out with a knife:
HPIM1940Medium.jpg

Then I attached them to the webs by using "double adhesive tape" .

HPIM1942Medium.jpg

Then I painted them silver, this is how it looked after I removed the letters, think it looked OK.

HPIM1943Medium.jpg

The SRX letters didn`t turn out that well because the holes in the "web" was so big that it didn`t look good, so I painted the whole web silver.

Oh btw. JSP is my initials hehe, my name is Joakim Steinmo Pedersen.

I also went down to my couison and painted three thin coats with plastic primer on the headlight surrounding.. .
Will be painting the trailingarms , radius rods and headlight surrounding as soon as I get more clear.

Wellwell that`s all for now:)

Hey there!

Looking really great!
I wish my shroud had a crack or two so I would have GOOD excuse for painting it..:) But for now Iam satisfied with just swapping the engine.
I really like the air-vents you've painted and the way added the "700" and "J.S.P" marks.
Mine was black and silver, but i painted them white. Looks alot better than the black ones.

Well, Its impressive work you've done this far, can't say anything but to keep up the good work.

Simon.

Hi man!

Thanks for the nice reply:).

Today I painted the headlight-surrounding, radius rods and the trailing arms, turned out OK enough.

Here`s some pics:

HPIM1968Medium.jpg

orn045Medium.jpg

orn047Medium.jpg

I just installed the decals, think it looks good:).

Wellwell have a nice evening everyone!

Ciao

Hi guys !
Thanks for the nice replies:), I really appreciate it.
Overall I`m happy with the job but I will not paint any other objects before I get a new paint booth, there`s to much dust where I paint now. The room is directly connected to a tree-workshop, really bad combination.
I`m thinking of either buying a steel container and isolate it, or make a little wood garage, and add wheels to it so that I can trailer it down to my cousin who has a huge compressor.

The only thing I can do now before I get my package from Rich is to start working on the footboards, remove the paint and polish them, will be interesting:).
(will be getting the special rivets for the air vents to the hood, snowflap and som other stuff from Rich). I wonder if the air vent-web will be easier to install if I mount the hood on the sled and let it sit in open position?.

On Monday I think my bender canister will show up in the mail, taken over a month now! (from Canada).

Wellwell goodnight guys:)

Hi guys !

I just came home from work and guess what I found when I came home??.
HPIM1969Large.jpg

Gees I`m so happy:):). Fun to know that a fellow TYM`er from Canada has ridden around with this canister. I would like to thank ReaperSRX for giving me the oppurtunity to buy this used canister from him, I`m so happy !!.

Well well that`s all :)

Hi guys!

Today I decided to polish the floor boards, had to move the sled down into the garage due to bad weather. It was actually kind of tricky since I didn`t have the skis on it, but it`s amazing how easy things become when you have a tractor:).

HPIM1971Medium.jpg

Here`s how it looked before I started

HPIM1972Medium.jpg

Then applied a coat with paint remover, amazing stuff!

HPIM1973Medium.jpg

After removing the paint it looked like this, then applied some more paint remover

HPIM1974Medium.jpg

Here all the paint is gone

HPIM1975Medium.jpg

Then I started polishing, used Simichrome polish.

HPIM1978Medium.jpg

Here I`m done

The floor boards had some minor scratches in them, I guess I could have removed them with some fine sand paper but I thought "what the heck, there will be more scratches after this winter" .

HPIM1979Medium.jpg

HPIM1980Medium.jpg

I`m happy with the result, not as shiny as 2000SRX`s but... he`s a champ with this stuff.

On Thursday (if nothing else shows up) I plan to pull the carbs and clean them, mount the trailing arms/radiusrods/skis and put the pipes back on with the new Bender can :).

Well thats all for now.

kimoaj they make a dye for vinal.There has been guys doing it to their seats on the 4 stroke side.I just did mine last night I took the blue out now my seat's all black. Here's the link but you have to be logged in on the 4 stroke side to see the pics.

Last edited:
Hi guys! Thanks for the replies:).

Redmater, I spent half an hour with the electric drill w/buffer & simichrome on the tunnel extension, it just wouldn`t shine better.. very strange.. I don`t know why it`s like that.. . When I got the sled the extension looked awful, had started to corrode, but anyway I should be able to polish it.. wierd.

Pro116 I don`t know exactly what you mean, but I guess you mean that I should change the color of my seat?. I kind if like the blue seat, but I don`t know how it will look when I get the black hood back on, will be interesting. But I`ve always liked a little contrast:).
Oh, the link is missing ??.

Hi guys!
Thanks 92vwgti:). But I don`t think it looks that cool yet.. will be better when it`s finished, or atleast I hope so.

Today I put the pipes back on and also put the canister on.
Then I tried starting her.. not easy.

I tried starting her this summer, but after 40 pulls I gave up.
Anyway, put fresh plugs in and started pulling. I pulled, pulled, pulled, pulled and pulled some more. Wouldn`t fire at all. Pulled plugs and they were freakin dry. Gees maybe I`m out of gas, I thought. But I wasn`t. Put plugs back in and pulled 10000 times more. I was starting to wonder wether something was wrong. So I went down to the cowhouse and found a used needle (those you use for blood samples and shit). Connected a thin hose to it and sucked some gas from my tank and then put a little gas in each cylinder through the plug hole.
Pulled it and it fired imediately, but only run for a few seconds. I pulled pulled and pulled but wouldnt fire anymore. I then poured some more gas into the cyls and then she fired imediately, but still wouldn`t run. I then pulled a few times with full choke and then she started fireing, eventually she started and gees it was nice to hear the sound again:). I let her run for a few minutes and then I rewed it a little just to clear it up. Then I stopped her with the choke to make the powervavles go into "cleaing mode" .
Then I pulled the pipes again and removed the manifoils to check the that the powervalves were aligned, they didn`t seem that bad, but I adjusted them so that they were flush with the exhaust port.
I did not replace the gaskets, I hate not to replace gaskets but I didn`t find it necessary, they were almost new anyway. (I know it doesn`t matter, a used gasket is a used gasket, but anyway, like Junior`s uncle once said "Junior, it`s not a ****ing piano".

HPIM1981Large.jpg

Look at all the fresh two stroke syntethic oil smoke, nice.

After the valves were adjusted I pulled the chaincase cover and removed the gears, I`m thinking of gearing it up to get more track speed.

HPIM1982Medium2.jpg

Look, the chain ain`t supposed to be that loose!!.

Back