"my son's first sled". what was yours.

i'm not sure which came first. we had several as kids (i have 2 brothers)
- yamaha el433b
- john deere JDX8
- arctic cat puma 340
- sno pony > ugly yellow with the optional wheel kit (i remember riding it once in the summer)
- john deere cyclone 440

mine was a 1969 skidoo bubble cab 320 cc i was 10 i would have to stand on a crate and fall back to start it i loved the sled drove it everywere even to school we would drive 5 miles and feltlike we were going all day the good old days

First sleds where all Mercury, My Uncle was a dealer so we had a couple each year from 68 to 75, I really remember the first of my memory was the 644 Hurricane mark II. I broke so many items on this machine, my Dad should have taken it away. Next was the Trail twister, must faster and lighter, but smaller engine. We did not switch to Yamaha until 77, Al

Started on a used kitty kat when I was around 4 or 5, then my dad bought me a brand new kitty kat when I was around 5 or 6 for Christmas. That didn't last long though as he had a brand new 1998 Formula III, and I would always ride that with him. And when I was 15(last spring) I bought my viper! 17 now, and this is my second season with the Viper.

Had a 1990 jag 340 my grampa bought then handed down. Couldn't tell you the miles I put on around my parents house. Then took a long hiatus and A late 70s jag was given to me from a neighbor then I found a 94 zr 580 cheap at a garage sale, then a 94 zr 700, then got my 96 vmax 600 and then I got my dream sled a 96 vmax 4 800. Then over the summer I picked up my 76 one owner gp300 + matching yamaha sleigh my stable of yamis is up to 3 and all the cats are gone. Wish I still had the 90 jag still fo sentimental reasons.

My first was a 1979 Arctic Cat Jag 340. Dad had a 440 Jag. I always wanted to ride the 440 because it was faster.

my first sled was a 69 sno prince with about a 4 foot wind shield i bought it from my uncle for 25 dollars you learned not to were a scarf it would suck it right in the carb and into the cylinder and you always smelled like gas but boy did me and the neighbor kid have fun with it

1970/71? SL338b yamaha, i made ski spreaders 2inch aside and ended up breaking the spindles loose in the unitized chassis and every jump you had to stop and flip the booge wheels back over LOL! yamaha has come a long way

My first ride on a sled was a 72 AC Panther 440 at 2 or 3 years old. My mom said she would put me on the back and go across the street in the baseball field from our Standard full service gas station. She would do laps around the field and when I stopped singing she new I was asleep. They would drop me off at the station in the office and my two older brothers and her would then go riding.

My first sled was a kitty kat I got for christmas at 5 years old. Took it for a ride that day went 30 yards got cut off by my middle brother and wrapped it around the clothes line pole. When I was 9 I got to move up to our 74 AC Lynx with the 295 wankle. Ever time you turned it of exactly five seconds later it would back fire. Burnt that up and dad put a 340 rockwell in it.

In 85 mom and dad got rid of the cats and bought a XL-V. The reason for this was my oldest brother bought a used SRV and everybody was impressed with the ride and power. Thanks bro.

Then my first purchased sled was a used 87 Exciter. Firend of mine burnt that up for me, nice. Then a new 96 600 XT, then a new 97 Vmax4, and lastly I traded a 78 Ford Bronce for my 95 Vmax4.

Oh, I almost forgot my last purchase. A 73 SL338 for $25 bucks. This is for the Balls Beater run. Think I have $30 bucks wrapped up in it so far.

my first sled was about a month ago, my buddy blew it up last winter and i got it for 100 dollars, dumped 130 to rebuild it then another 120 legalizing it, im 18 years old and my dad never does anything for me due to money issues, but i think its going to be fun, i have a problem with it atm, so people please look its under 88 yamaha exciter 570...

dimebag darrell was the man

vmax4rules said:
SnoPony 180 here!
Just noticed your avitar has the greatest guitar player of all time in it. Pantera Rules and will always be my fav. hardcore band.
Oh yeah btw my first sled was a 1988 exciter 570 w/ electric start. That sled was fast!

My first sled was a 1979 MotoSki Garand Prix Special, the same sled as a SkiDoo Blizzard 5500. What a piece of JUNK!!!! Worked on it more than I rode it, spent more money on belts rather than gas. Took me 10 years to see the light and convert to Yamaha, sure glad I did!!

my first sleds were a couple of 72 tnts. one was a 340 and the other a 640. never got either od them running. then i had a 72 panther 400. had two 94 polaris's one a indy 400 with a hopped up xcr440 motor in it and a storm bored to 860. now i have an srx 700 and an 80 enticer 250.

Last edited:
Mine was a 1980 yamaha 440 exciter..I was about 8-9 at that time can still remember riding up to the gas station thinking I was BIG shit..I took everything I had to pull it over...
1980 440 exciter
1982 340 polaris colt
1976 440 Mercury Trail Twister ( loved it)
1975 440 merc trail twister
1982 500 Pantera
198? 440 exciter SS
1996 600 V-max xt
2002 700 VIPER all mods no stock
2004 120 Ski doo Brand NEW for the Kid
Man do I miss my Mercs....
26 years and still LOVING IT!!!!

Back