The making of "Darth Viper"

Darth Viper is coming along nicely!

I got darth viper back from the paint shop yesterday, they took some photos for me to post, all I can say is "WOW!!" the paint job is so nice I am afraid to even try and assemble the sled its 100 percent show quality!! I would like to personally thank Bob and Tim for the flawless job they did on this sled for me, they are members of this site and it always shows what great people are on this site!! I will get a few pics of the sled going together, it is gonna be stunning when done! Bye,bye blue paint!!

Attachments

• basehood1.jpg
    basehood1.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 28
  • basehood2.jpg
    basehood2.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 20
  • clearcoathood2.jpg
    clearcoathood2.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 22
  • clearcthood.jpg
    clearcthood.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 23
  • hoodfairing.jpg
    hoodfairing.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

More paint shop pics!

You cant beleive how nice the paint is on this thing!! :bling:

Attachments

• tunnelbaseclear1.jpg
    tunnelbaseclear1.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 21
  • tunnel2.jpg
    tunnel2.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 22
  • tunnel3.jpg
    tunnel3.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 24
  • hoodbuff1.jpg
    hoodbuff1.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 22
  • hoodbuff2.jpg
    hoodbuff2.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 19
I would have to ask Bob, I dont honestly know, all I know is, it is as black as black can be, and it shines like it was dipped in paint, there isnt a spec of dust,dirt,fuzz, sanding mark or any flaw anywhere on the entire sled where it was painted. If someone needs something done like this, he is "the man" to take it too. :bling: :bling: :bling: :bling: :bling: :bling:

Last edited:
Daman, all the paint is base coat clear coat.

Shes gonna go together quickly now........its so black, its hard to take pics of it.............thats just cool!! :bling:

Attachments

• P1000783.jpg
    P1000783.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 28
  • P1000785.jpg
    P1000785.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 24
  • P1000787.jpg
    P1000787.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 28
I am thinking I should have made the bulkhead on the sides by front suspension black too??? Have not decided on what to do in engine bay, I may polish all the frame,bumper supports and clutch guard to like chrome finish as the rest of the sled is so shiny and smooth it will look dumb if something isnt done on the frame up front. Ceramic coated pipes will be a must to go along with the rest of the sleds finish.

When they painted the hood, they did the inside of the hood as well in a satin black.

Hood screens black or dark charcoal metallic grey???

polish frame/front end of chassis under hood or scrub it with a scotch brite pad and make a satin alum finish????

give me some of your guys ideas, opinions.

Last edited:
Just my $.02 ,

yes on the bulkhead sides, but it'll be cool
not sure on the frame,bumper supports,maybe polish yea.
hood screens metallic grey oh yea!!

under hood needs to have things shinny looking back at ya i think??

I really like the silver/black scheme. But the dark grey would look good too. You need something on there to contrast the black a little bit. The ceramic coated pipes will look great under the hood! You got a black windshield too? You have decals that you plan on putting on it?

Hood is now together but still deciding on the color for hood screens?? My wife just loved me assembling it on the table, I was too afraid to scratch it out in the shop. The pics just dont show the paint quality, its so black it just eats up all the light from the camera...lol ! This thing is just perfect. Bob even took the time to paint the inside of the hood and fairings satin black, so when the hoods up it all goes together!

Attachments

• P1000788.jpg
    P1000788.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 25
  • P1000789.jpg
    P1000789.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Is that dry enought?? usally takes a day or two before i start assembly..

i just scratches way too easy..

He painted it last week, its dry, no problems so far, you cant make a mark in it with your fingernail edge, I checked that before handling it, its too nice to screw up!

Black is the toughest color it shows EVERY flaw. I gotta say it looks awesome! Black vipers rule!

What engine you going with?

Thanks for showing the squaring tips, I actually did that to mine just didn;t know it had a official name :) The polaris Edge skid was DEAD on perfect...mmmmm

It will have a very healthy tuned up 780cc for now....it might just have a 964cc bored and stroked engine before too long though... a sled this black has to be fast!!!LOL!

I cant wait to get the sled outside and snap a few pics of it so you can actually see it!

Kinger, I have seen stock skids so bad that when you get them out the wheels dont touch because they are a good 1/8th off the floor!

I beleive this will be the last 2 stroke I build for myself, so I am kinda going all out on it. I am picking up a black rx1 this coming weekend and am gonna install a large turbo and make a 4 stroke drag sled from it, I need 300+ yamaha hp!

Last edited:
mrviper700 said:
I am picking up a black rx1 this coming weekend and am gonna install a large turbo and make a 4 stroke drag sled from it, I need 300+ yamaha hp!
I look forward to you getting into the 4 strokes Don, whats the highest hp sled you've had as of now?

my own personal stuff??....only stock, I dont supe them up...cough,cough...LOL!!

other customer engines.... have done a 1000cc srx that was 248hp and now we did some more minor tweaks should bust into the 250hp mark next time it goes on the pump! :2strokes: I believe this was the biggest to date, but we shall see when I find out what my new frankenstein creation will make when completed.

I am looking forward to the rx1 hair dryer project, should be alot of fun, and a real ball to hang onto on the asphalt! Go big boost(20lbs) or go home!! LOL!!

Last edited:
white goes good with black, especially if you go with white on the decals (if you decide to use decals). pretty much, whatever accent color you use on the decals would offset nicely with the hood screen color. white or chrome would be my choice on the decal accent colors and screen colors.

Back