1976 Merc Trail Twister

Oh ya see them hanging out the bottom. Sorry about that. Not use to seeing bolts, most motors I have dealt with use studs

a long awaited update! things look a LOT cleaner now lol! brake cleaner is the best thing ever on those hard to clean cooling fins :) and oxisolv makes aluminum look NEW for sure.
IMG_3459.jpg

IMG_3460.jpg

IMG_3461.jpg

and a few more. I didnt want to spray all the degreaser crap down in the case, so I have put the top end back on, with nice new seals to KEEP it clean, and will be cleaning the botttom half today with any luck! let me know what you think!
IMG_3462.jpg

IMG_3463.jpg

IMG_3466.jpg

IMG_3467.jpg

IMG_3468.jpg

is that vid working for anyone, cause I amnot sure if it is me or not but it just never seems to actually play.........

thanks! gotta get a short vid of me running it around, sounds pretty wicked at speed lol!! I actually wear earplugs with it, and it has the stock pipe!!

Great thread. But, I have to ask you, why after all of that didn't you split the cases and atleast check out the crank and install new crank seals(they are very cheap)? I just bought a trail twister and this week I'm pulling the engine down to do just that. Its not worth burning it down and other drivability problems that go along with leaking crank seals.

Also, replace the cdi box on it...go to www.cdibox.com and talk to Scott, he's a buddy of mine and straight up stand up guy. He makes cdi boxes for those. The cdi boxes are very prone to taking a crap when you least expect it so if you plan on trail riding this or spending any time on a lake I'd buy one.

Lastly, who makes twin pipes for these machines? Can you pass along the info?

Last edited:
honestly, I didnt have the tools to take the case apart and they dont seem to be leaking as it is now. have the seals and plan to when I get the time to get back to this sled. I also plan on the firebox, seems great :) the twin pipes are from popatop racing in CT. if you google them you can find them posting on a lot of vintage sites, especially nh site. hope this helps, and post some pics of your rebuild/teardown! Eric

ya owned one of them they are fast for a 440 fan they were faster than the 440 yami exciters as had one of each, the merc u could never keep the sled straight as the *** end was every place but straight, it needed studs and never did that, fastest we had it going was 70 mph but it still had about another 10 mph at least Al Larson

I had 2 of those... What a blast I had riding on them...
Everywhere you went it seemed that someone had a story about a MERC...
That thing would eat up alot of sleds...I studded mine that thing ripped..

back from the dead lol! I actually JUST took this sled out for a 18 miles loop as I finally got back to it to figure out why it ALWAYS wanted to flood. well I have worked on a lot more carbs and now kow what parts should be in there and it was missing the springs that hold the air screws at a setting. so when it started up it would only hold the setting for about 10-15 seconds before they would thread all the way in and be set full rich. the thing handles WAY better than I expected, as far as cornering and holding a line. the end sure does like to come out, but I was going the same speed as I do on my viper on the same trail, so I thought that was pretty good!

few shots from that ride. the pic with the grass was the only bare spot all trip. just the top of a hill in a feild, all blown off in the winter and now the ice melted with it being out in the sun.
2009-03-07002.jpg

2009-03-07003.jpg

dad rode my viper, I took the merc :)

Back