1976 Merc Trail Twister

I used to race mercs. I loved beating Indy 650's in the 1/4 mile. I had the same year with some mods. I shaved the heads, ported and polished, upped the carbs to dual 38's and bored them out to 40's. Stupid fast for its era. I had a 440 in a 340 chassis and the racers would always laugh as I pull to the line. Them and thier 500's would be at the line still when I get had the skis hitting the snow. Only bad part is I went through 3 engines in 1 and a half years. Bring a tow rope.

it is a lot snappier than I would have thought for an old sled, and it really handles a lot better as well. I am thinking about putting a few popatop things on it, they are a company in CT that races them. they make a twin pipe setup that looks pretty sweet :)

Kenogami Marine in Northern Ontatio bought all of mercury's inventory when they stopped making them. They had a storage room full of brand new jugs. May want to see if they still have stuff. The father died years ago, I am not sure if the kids kept them.

I remember my father giving me heck for going to fast, I was racing across the lake and he said my skis never hit the ice except to just graze a high spot. Looked like butter knives flapping loose across the ice. Those things are not heavy at all.

yeah, and the prices on them are getting higher and higher! I bought mine for 300 and could probably get nearly 1000-1500 for it now, nevermind if I give it a teardown and good cleaning, not even putting any real $$$$ into it! vintage is getting nuts :)

I have a studded track and windshield for the trail twister and some other parts.
Send me a PM if interested

We did a bunch of powder coating for this sled..
Its at the bottom of the page.. http://halfbakedcoatings.com/CUSTOMERRIDES.aspx

The guy paid $1500 for it, completely tore it down, we did $500 worth of powder coating to it.. he had another place rebuild the engine at $1500.. and tune it..

Ya he has some money in it..

Attachments

• Mercury Sno twister (600 x 450).jpg
    Mercury Sno twister (600 x 450).jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 13
Hey let me know if you need help changing out those crank seals if you haven't done so. I'm just down the road a bit in Rochester. I work on sleds part time out of my garage. I didn't notice you were from NH until I saw the pics a few pages back rding in the wind blown field...and thought "hey that's Peasleys field in Farmington".

I have a '79 SRX that I am going to be tearing into at some point soon here. Once its done we'll have to get together for some NH vintage riding.

hey, someone local :) I never did get around to the crank seals, the old ones (so far) seem to be sealing up nicely. ride a motorcycle?

03viperguy said:
hey, someone local :) I never did get around to the crank seals, the old ones (so far) seem to be sealing up nicely. ride a motorcycle?

Just figured I would throw the offer out there if you felt like doing it. I've never worked on a Merc, but have torn down and reassembled many, many motors. Like said, I would love to hook up and get some riding in this coming winter if I can get my srx going....if not got a line on a running '73 Ski-Doo Oly that I am hoping to run in the great northwoods vintage race series this winter. This machine will be trail ready this winter.

Sorry, no bike.....summer is reserved for running a sled on asphalt at New England dragway and my '71 Nova. ;)!

03viperguy said:
hmmm, I may have you do some of that for mine, looks like you do great work :)

Hey, if you are thinking about doing any powder coating there is a guy in Somersworth I know that can get you a deal. Just let me know.

Back