Project SRX has begun

Hey blue, did you polish those rear wheels in the first pic you posted? if you did, How did you get them that nice? I was thinking of doing mine like that.

Silver

change_up..you are a long ways from me.It will take us at least 3days each on the sleds to meet up somewhere in the middle of no-where.Make sense to you.LOLThose wheels were never polished,they just come that way.Got the same ones for my SRX today,along with the 5.35 idler wheels in blue.Got all new bearings for the sled complete also.I can start putting my skid back together now.

Well I got all the bearings replaced in the rear suspension today.Installed my Blue 5.375" idlers also and am painting components in the suspension.Working on the w-arms today and last night.Got pieces of 3/4" band steel cut to be welded to specific areas on the arms as suggested.Also will have 10 angle brackets(1/8" heavy by 1"x1")welded to all the inside joints on each w-arm.Tomorrow I will be taking the arms to a friend of my dad,about 15 minutes from me.He will weld the arms up for me and he won't take any money to do it either.He has always been like that,never takes anything for his work.He is a good guy to know,especially when it comes to welding.
Been painting the w-arm mounting brackets,a-arm,transfer rod bodies today first coat of Blue.Once I get them arms back and washed good ,I will put on first coat of primer on them.First coat of Blue later in the day tomorrow.I will put at least 3-4 coats of Blue on and then a clear coat on top of that.That will be good enough for that.Then I can start to assemble the skid by next weekend.I will have to take air box and carbs out so I can get to the jackshaft and change clutch side bearing.
Once that is done,back goes the axle and new bearings,chaincase/chain and the track.

Attachments

• Picture 032.jpg
    Picture 032.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Picture 033.jpg
    Picture 033.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 332
  • Picture 034.jpg
    Picture 034.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 327
  • Picture 035.jpg
    Picture 035.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 324
Last edited:
Almost forgot.First I have to mount the rear wheels,the new 7.5" wheels I bought.Like in the SXR in which I did the same,I have to cut down the aluminum spacers between the wheels in order to get the correct spacing since them wheels are a little thicker.
A question for you guys.Should I just leave my gearing stock..23/39 or can I afford to go up one tooth upper to 24 teeth.That will get me a little more top end speed.The SRX has a lot of torque out of the hole,will it really effect my launch and acceleration that much?

Well I got 1 w-arm re-inforced and welded today.It was a little rough because we did not have enough 6012 1/8" welding rod.The bigger rods were burning holes.Will buy more rods and get the other one welded and
re-inforced in early June on my holidays.Grinded and cleaned this one today really good and put on coat of primer to it.Got my other pieces sprayed a second coat of Blue also.

Attachments

• Picture 036.jpg
    Picture 036.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 314
  • Picture 038.jpg
    Picture 038.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 15
Well I took air box out and removed the carbs.Will take them apart and clean everything.Got the new 40 pilet jets to put in also.
Got my jackshaft out and got the clutch side bearing off with a puller.It was really a snug fit in there.Cleaned the shaft up with emery and steel wool.Got the new bearing back on there and ready to put things back together.
Still have to apply 2-3 more coats of paint to the w-arm before it and other skid parts can be put back together.Just have to figure out how much I have to remove from the rear wheel spacers in order to mount the new 7.5" rear wheels and get the spacing just right.That I will do on the weekend since the weather will be rain,rain,rain.

Was a little tricky getting them spacers cut just the right lengths.Have to line up the 2 rear wheels in line with the 2 inside idler wheels.Tightened everything up and the back of rails pulled together,but were 1/8" in to much according to the rest of the rail measurements.Had to take 2 washers from my spare spare parts pile and fit them in there.Now the rails are parallel to each other all the way from front to back.Still had to trim a tad off each outside spacer in order for the shaft to be able to be all the way in the bearing on the outside wheel where the tightening nut is.
By the way thanks Jon(SNOWRULES) for the 50/38 Dalton helix,got it today.Perfect.

Attachments

• Picture 039.jpg
    Picture 039.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 248
  • Picture 040.jpg
    Picture 040.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
well got the paint and clear coat on the w-arm.It'll do and I'll maybe start assembling the skid on weekend.Only hold up is that I need 4 circlips for the new rear wheels and they are on back order.So that could be a little of a hold up on getting my skid back on and the track installed.

Attachments

• Picture 042.jpg
    Picture 042.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Picture 041.jpg
    Picture 041.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 11
Got my w-arm installed now and torqued mounting brackets,idler mounts ,front shock and idler wheels.Still haven't heard anything on the rear wheel circlips.It is holding everything up for now.Got my front skid shock adjusted just enough so the spring don't slide up and down,basically 0 pre-load.When I install the rear pivet arm and the rear shock,what preload do you guys suggest on the shock.It is easier to adjust it now since the shock is out. Last pic is dark,but shows 2 grease zerks per w-arm mounting brackets.

Attachments

• Picture 047.jpg
    Picture 047.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 15
  • Picture 048.jpg
    Picture 048.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Picture 049.jpg
    Picture 049.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 237
not a swear word thus far.

I got the pivot arm and large shock installed last night.Still wanna check on the pre-load for this beast.Skid is ready to go in.This morning got the axle and bearing on and slipped everything thru my new Predator 1" track.Got the chaincase mounted,the brake re-installed and all went good.Torqued the bolts to specs.After lunch here will get the sprockets and chain on and will adjust properly and get cover on and that will be it.Not a swear word yet.Ah,but that is yet to come.Now will manage to slide the skid into the track and line everything up...wish me luck here...trying to stay calm and use my brain more on this install.Will let you know what happens with this...good or bad.HeHe!!!!

Attachments

• Picture 051.jpg
    Picture 051.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 213
  • Picture 050.jpg
    Picture 050.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Just as I F'in thought.Can't get the mother #$%&* bolts to line up the middle section.Can't get the arm to go back far enough to line up holes.Pisses me right off.Thank someone there is no other human being around me right now...they wouldn't be standing because of the wrench I threw at them.Boy can I ever lose it,especially when it is friggin hot and the humidity is high to.
I tried to stay calm...but F it.
Going to take the rear bolts out,get the center ones in,and do the rear ones last.That better #$%&* #$%&* work man.Thank goodness my wife isn't around to see me blow today,but she would stay away from me if I did anyways.What can I say,got my old man's temper.and when he got mad,you had to run...for your life.LOL.Seriously .

After hours and hours try ing to figure out why the damn 2 holes wouldn't line up in the middle.I saw the light.First I tried bolting front holes and rear holes.That still wouldn't work.Just couldn't move anything over the 1/2" I needed.After a good loss of my temper again,I basically was giving up.Tried straps,tried lifting back end,shimming front rails..but nothing.I just lay on the floor with a light and looked the damn skid over and over.Something is not right here.Then I figured it out.Went to the shed to confirm it by looking at the SXR skid.BINGO!!!.
I installed the upper 2 idlers and the frame it is mounted to the wrong friggin way.Opposite actually.FRA arms where pointing towards rear,but should be pointing to the front.So took that part off,disconnected top of rear shock,and unbolted the 2 flat arms that run along the side of this shock.Took it out,flipped everything the other way and re-installed it.Got the 2 bolts in in about 15 seconds then.Can't believe it.Well I guess when things are all apart on the floor,you figure you are putting it together the right way.What a simple thing.All that swearing and hot boiling blood all for not.
Now I notice the track is now rubbing on the front exchanger protectors.Another thing to fix.Could cut them off,or trim the track.Don't know about running the track that way until things wear off.
Well I am beat now,need to get some rest.Sled does sit a little higher now,but is the suspension ever smooth now when I sit on the sled.More travel is sure noticeable.Will have to flip the shock mounts up front and install the shocks upside down,should gain nearly an 1" with that.

Attachments

• Picture 053.jpg
    Picture 053.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Picture 054.jpg
    Picture 054.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Last night I didn't mention that I stripped the threads in the shaft that has the large upper idler wheels,the one where the rear shock is attached to and the transfer rods.So today I removed that section,removed transfer rods and the wheels and then the shaft.Got my backup shaft from the SRX skid,the old suspension.The suspension I now have is a long travelled one from a 2001 SXR.When I got the shaft from the old skid,noticed it was heavier.It is a steel shaft,the SXR one was an aluminum shaft.I was happy that I would be putting in the stronger shaft,less chance of stripping threads to.Spent time today putting that section back into the skid.Had to do it,couldn't feel save knowing one bolt would not be holding very good.This skid install yesterday and today has really killed me.My back and all my muscles are aching.Lying on the cement floor wrenching will do that to you.
I took a utility knife and cut the little nibs from the track that was hitting the front protectors.Still hear a little rubbing,could be on the top protectors up front more touching slightly,but can't see anything.It'll wear in time.
Got my other circlip for the rear wheel that was missing one today.Now got everything all installed and complete.Suspension sure seems less harsh,there is more of a cushion feel to it.Back end has raised up a bit I noticed.It is around 23 inches from floor to bumper.Feels smooth when I sit on the sled and bounce on it.
Now I will be getting at the front end of sled next.Complete tear down and re-adjustment.With the Simmon's ski's I have to have 0 camber because of the dual runners on them.And toe out will be minimal also when I am done.Will check and shim all bushings,flip the front shock mounts for a little more height,check all steering components and replace if worn.Will take trailing arms and the control arms out and have them painted blue probably,just like on my SXR.
But for now will take a breather from all this,I am still on holidays.Got to rest a bit before going back to work next week.

Attachments

• Picture 055.jpg
    Picture 055.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Picture 056.jpg
    Picture 056.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
If your never going to stud the track then just take the protectors off. That's what I did. Or take them off and get you welding buddy to make them a little shallower and reinstall.

I just can't see the logic in "trimming" a brand new track!

Got my shock's off the SRX,did the shock bracket mod and switched from left to right side and upside down.Got it grinded and shimmed with washer to fit.Noticed shock does move over about an 1" because of a slight angle change in the bracket when you reverse and flip bracket,but can pull shock over to connect to trailing arm.But my main question is,are the bushings in these shocks needle bearing with seal.They are really nice and tight for sure,not like plastic bushings that wear.But the steel collar that goes inside it won't move or rotate.Can't pull them out to grease.All 4 of them the same.If you tighten the shock in upper bracket,shock won't swivel,there is pressure from the parts sticking.Basically shock is not rotating on the collars.How can I solve this without destroying the inerds.Tried( Release All )spray,but doubt it can get in there.Seems like moisture could have gotton in there and seized the collar.Any hints here how to release things.

Back