cat 153 skid and 162 install complete! EASY!

mightymg

OK well I got the cat skid in, and it was way easier than I ever imagined.. The skid was out of a 2007 m8 153 with foz zero pro shocks, and the track is a 162 camoplast..

Well as you can see in the pictures, the cat skid goes in the yamaha stock mounting holes, and fits almost perfect. the only thing that didnt quite fit right was the front H arm on the Cat skid, it was about 1/2 and inch to skinny between the tunnel, I put in a 1/4 inch nylon bush on each side, and It was perfect.. Just so everyone knows, if you interested in doing this, a 141 skid will house a 151 track in the stock yammy holes, and a 153 skid will house a 162 in the stock yammy holes... anyways Check it out... IM stoked to go give her a rip.. my 20T 42B gears are on there way, my anti ratchets are installed, and im reeady to go..

As for weight differences.. the cat skid weighed in at a whopping 47.8 lbs at Fed Ex in a shipping box, the Yammy skid about 80.. so with 40 lbs shaved off the back it should perform very well in the deep powder... If you have any Questions Ask and Ill be happy to help out..
ohh and yes I know the front mounting bolts still need nuts, my limiter strap needs connecting, and I need the front rail protectors( On order)

Attachments

• 162 skid 004.jpg
    162 skid 004.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 109
  • 162 skid 002.jpg
    162 skid 002.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 158
  • 162 skid 012.jpg
    162 skid 012.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 202
  • 162 skid 006.jpg
    162 skid 006.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 145
  • 162 skid 008.jpg
    162 skid 008.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 130

Nice job. I love one off cool mods like that. Good to hear the skid holes line up that easy

Looks very cool

Nice work
Later

so if you were to bolt a 141 m7 skid in the stock holes would you have to use a 151 inch track then. i'm surprised that they fit almost perfect. i'm really thinking of doing this to my srx. cheaper than getting a different sled.

How did you determine that the Exsisting mounting holes would work? Do the mounting holes have the same Center to Center (my 121" was 23 3/4") as in the Cat chasis that the skid came out of? If not I would be concernd that there will be major binding as the skid is compressed through its travel. If this happens, it could cause some major Tunnel damage(twisting, ripping, etc).
I did a 121" Cat skid in my Viper, and the mounting points were no where near the exsisting holes. But again, that was 121" to 121".
Skid looks good, good luck

jr_amsoil said:
so if you were to bolt a 141 m7 skid in the stock holes would you have to use a 151 inch track then. i'm surprised that they fit almost perfect. i'm really thinking of doing this to my srx. cheaper than getting a different sled.

Holes are nowhere near the same.

cacsrx1 said:
Holes are nowhere near the same.

so how did you know exactly where to drill the new holes, without having any problems with binding and what not. i'm thinkng hard about this cause my sled just don't go through the deep good enough. by the time i sold my stuff and got the other stuff to do it, it would be a cheap long track job.

hey cacsrx1, i was in the hills the last couple weekends damn good snow. and they just got about 1.5 foot more. we should get a group rounded up and go out for a weekend sometime yet this year. few stumps here and there yet though. found one with my trailing arm. kinked her.

Last edited:
jr_amsoil said:
so how did you know exactly where to drill the new holes, without having any problems with binding and what not. i'm thinkng hard about this cause my sled just don't go through the deep good enough. by the time i sold my stuff and got the other stuff to do it, it would be a cheap long track job.

hey cacsrx1, i was in the hills the last couple weekends damn good snow. and they just got about 1.5 foot more. we should get a group rounded up and go out for a weekend sometime yet this year. few stumps here and there yet though. found one with my trailing arm. kinked her.

Yamiman measured an M series mounting points in relation to the driveshaft and top of tunnel. That info and some math and geometry and your done. Good luck finding a 151 challanger that isnt destroyed, took me 6 months.

i havn't found a skid let alone a track yet. does you sled still handle good and all that on and off trail. me and clifford are gonna longtrack her either with a 151 rx1 skid or with m7 skid.

Sorry ive havent been on in a while..

the 153 skid fits in the stock viper mount holes for a 162 track, ive now been on 6 rides wiht it, and no problems it amazing, I love the set up...

so a 153 -162 9 inches so a 141 -151 is 10, so a 141 sikd in a viper( not sure on a srx) would fit a 151 track wiht no changes to mounting positions, Alot of guys on TY 4 have done the 141 skid in their rx1s for a 151 track// Good luck man..

mightymg said:
Sorry ive havent been on in a while..

the 153 skid fits in the stock viper mount holes for a 162 track, ive now been on 6 rides wiht it, and no problems it amazing, I love the set up...

so a 153 -162 9 inches so a 141 -151 is 10, so a 141 sikd in a viper( not sure on a srx) would fit a 151 track wiht no changes to mounting positions, Alot of guys on TY 4 have done the 141 skid in their rx1s for a 151 track// Good luck man..

I see where yours mounted, mine wouldnt go there could be a srx vs. viper thing. My front arm is about 2 inches lower and an inch forward. I agree they work fricken great. ;):D

brandon_markie said:
are the mounting holes the same between a mtn viper and a short track viper? Or do the CAT holes only line up with a mtn viper?

yea thats what im curious about. an srx and viper i believe are the same tunnels and same mounting locations so i would think if mightymg got it to bolt in stock location it should work with both a srx and viper. but i'm not positive cause i havn't tryed it.

Sorry guys I have no Idea, I bet if you call tom hartman he would know.. i think the holes are the same.. because when they longtrack a shortrack viper its just a tunnell extension, and rail extensions..

Try whatever you want Jr. You must know more than Tom Hartman who I have talked to several times. He is the one who told me to use a cat or polaris skid. He said using a mountain RX1 or Mt viper skid would require changing all the mounts.

cacsrx1 said:
Try whatever you want Jr. You must know more than Tom Hartman who I have talked to several times. He is the one who told me to use a cat or polaris skid. He said using a mountain RX1 or Mt viper skid would require changing all the mounts.

i wasn't meaning it like that. there's kinda a reason i'm asking questions cause i don't know more than mr.hartman who i havn't talked to. so do you think you could help me out if i do the 141 cat skid conversion. i don't really wanna get it and be out in the dark when doing it. i have also seen that that quit a few guys have been having problems setting the skid back with the rails spearing the track. but i'm sure you took your time and did it very precisely and correctly the first time.

Back