cat 153 skid and 162 install complete! EASY!

jr_amsoil said:
i havn't found a skid let alone a track yet. does you sled still handle good and all that on and off trail. me and clifford are gonna longtrack her either with a 151 rx1 skid or with m7 skid.

I have an 02 viper short track that I put an 03 RX-1 MTN skid in with a 151 camo challenger that is fully clipped and in near new condition. I am looking at parting this sled out. Let me know if you might be interested in any of this stuff.

i just went into the cat dealership and the front of the skid on the crossfire looks like it hangs in there just like a mountain cat (comparing to one of theses pics in this thread) so it might bolt right in without having to set it back a couple of inches. but more researh is to be done first

brandon_markie said:
i just went into the cat dealership and the front of the skid on the crossfire looks like it hangs in there just like a mountain cat (comparing to one of theses pics in this thread) so it might bolt right in without having to set it back a couple of inches. but more researh is to be done first
To do the swap correctly you need to take mounting point measurements from the sled the skid came out of and work from there. Things to consider are rail to driver contact and track approach angle.

i talked with hartman, i think i am gonna go with his 144'' rail kit. very nice guy. hey cacsrx1, did you have to remove you slead treads of the running boards when you did the in stall.i hope i don't have to remove mine, but if i have to i will.

jr_amsoil said:
i talked with hartman, i think i am gonna go with his 144'' rail kit. very nice guy. hey cacsrx1, did you have to remove you slead treads of the running boards when you did the in stall.i hope i don't have to remove mine, but if i have to i will.
no I didnt

I just thought I would throw in that the first time I jumped my sled with the hartman 151 kit on it I bent the reail extensions. Then Tom sent me a new set and I built a bracket to stiffen them and then I had no troubles. Then I found a used skid and I think that works way better anyways. The short track skid just doesn't perform like a true mountain skid. If I were to do it all over again I would find a used skid right away. I just thought I would throw that out there for you to think about.

Just my .02

I agree, if I could go back and do mine again I would've bought a full rail 144" skid, either that or an RMK to begin with. I'm looking at an '03 Vertical Escape RMK 159" chassis for $2K or best offer though. Thinking about putting a triple in it. :)

Last edited:
shortstop20 said:
I agree, if I could go back and do mine again I would've bought a full rail 144" skid, either that or an RMK to begin with. I'm looking at an '03 Vertical Escape RMK 159" chassis for $2K or best offer though. Thinking about putting a triple in it. :)
Your getting smarter all the time. :hide:

I've still got a long ways to go. :rofl:

When I was young and niave I thought extensions would make a short track just like a mountain sled of the same length. As we know though it's just not true. It carves and boondocks fine(alot better with Powder Pro's than stock skis, feels more like a RMK now), but it still doesn't compare to a true mountain sled when climbing hills. It's gotta be the approach angle and suspension geometry/setup.

Last edited:
shortstop20 said:
I've still got a long ways to go. :rofl:

When I was young and niave I thought extensions would make a short track just like a mountain sled of the same length. As we know though it's just not true. It carves and boondocks fine(alot better with Powder Pro's than stock skis, feels more like a RMK now), but it still doesn't compare to a true mountain sled when climbing hills. It's gotta be the approach angle and suspension geometry/setup.

No I mean the TRIPPLE.

Oh I see. Ya I should've known that's what you were talking about. Question is do I go with a slightly modded 800 XCR triple, or a 1050/1200cc watercraft triple with 700 or 800 VES cylinders? LOL Maybe I should re-read my life insurance policy before I decide I want a 1000+ cc triple. :bump:

cacsrx1 said:
I wouldnt use extensions either given the choice.

hey cac do you think that me and clifford could handle doing the 141 cat swap with the template that yammiman has in a different thread. is this the same template you used,

http://www.totallyamaha.net/forums/showthread.php?t=43526

if thats the same template i don't think it would be hard. just making sure a guys measurements are spot on.

Last edited:
shortstop20 said:
Oh I see. Ya I should've known that's what you were talking about. Question is do I go with a slightly modded 800 XCR triple, or a 1050/1200cc watercraft triple with 700 or 800 VES cylinders? LOL Maybe I should re-read my life insurance policy before I decide I want a 1000+ cc triple. :bump:
XCR 800 and send it to HTG.

jr_amsoil said:
hey cac do you think that me and clifford could handle doing the 141 cat swap with the template that yammiman has in a different thread. is this the same template you used,

http://www.totallyamaha.net/forums/showthread.php?t=43526

if thats the same template i don't think it would be hard. just making sure a guys measurements are spot on.

Yes those are the measurements. Just remember the drivers, jackshaft/chaincase bearings,hoses, gearing, getting the srx cooler to fit, fabbed brackets......etc. Getting the skid to fit is the easy part.

is it a must to use the srx rear cooler. hartman told me you don't need it, but i don't want problems overheating. was it hard getting the drivers and what not to go together correctly.

jr_amsoil said:
hartman told me you don't need it, but i don't want problems overheating.

I'm not questioning Hartman by any means but I just can't see the sled staying cool on hard trails without a rear cooler, unless you buy ice scratchers for it. Even just scratchers might not be enough. My sled would've ran perfectly fine in W. Yellowstone last year if I had a rear cooler, right where ALL of the snow was getting blasted is where my rear cooler is going to be but instead I was riding it like a 500 so the temp light wouldn't come on and still had to stop every 10 minutes. :o| Even those running board coolers won't help if the snow is too hard to get to them. For a sled that was designed from the factory to be a long track I wouldn't worry, but for a conversion and our type of riding I would definitly want a rear cooler if I was you. my .02

Last edited:
cacsrx1 said:
XCR 800 and send it to HTG.

That 180HP Hot Trail Package that they sell should rip pretty good. I hate feeling like I'm riding a 10 year old 600cc twin when I'm at 8-10K feet. Can you say pooch! That's probably part of the reason you got the 780 eh? I thought about boring my 800 out to a 910 but I don't want to spend $2500 on something that might throw a crank in 2-3 years. I'd rather spend a little more now and have something that will last a while.......along with just as much HP and that oh so sweet triple sound.

Last edited:

Back