cat 153 skid and 162 install complete! EASY!

ok , hey cacsrx1 i found a deal on a 153'' skid, but i dont wanna make it to a 159 or 162. with that template if i drill the new holes to those exact measurements, will a 153'' track work. not sure if a guy can even drill the holes there without tearing into mine. also will the angle be to much if i do this.

There is some false info in previous posts to this thread. It would be great if it got cleaned up.

The stock mounting locations for a Mtn Viper vs. a 121 Viper are NOT the same. I have both and have also put the '03-'04 Mtn Viper skid in a 121 Proaction chassis. They are significantly different.

Several have posted this, but you most certainly need to keep the same geometry of the skid that it was designed for. Just because it fits doesn't mean that it will work the way it was intended to work. You can also cause the skid to bind with measurements off as little as 1/4" or less.

glad you brought it up Ding. you beat me to it.

another thing to consider with the ac skid transplant is the fact that the ac skid is mounted 4" or so forward of the stock mtn yamaha sleds when it is in its ac tunnel. this based on the m series sled with the 153 skid.

this dimension will need to be factored in when choosing a track length if you opt to use the stock front mount hole on your yamaha mtn sled. in essence, you have moved the skid back approximately 4" so the 153 configuration will not work. i am assuming this is where dirtjumpers 162 came into play simply by doing the math.

just for the info, the 00 and up mtn maxes have the same dimensions for skid mounting as the 03 and 04 viper mtns.

Ok... This is a great thread for sure. I have a 2007 M8 153 Skid. Is a 2000 700MM 141 have the same mounting points here as the viper? I also wanted to use a polaris 155 track Series V. I do have a attack 20 162 as well...

All the info you asking is in the post above you unless I'm reading your question wrong.
When I got my cat skid I ended up with a 162 even tho I ordered a 153. This required me to mount it forward of stock holes. I have a big wheel kit also so that magnified it. I went 4.5inches forward of stock front hole I believe and with that I barely have the clearance to run a 162. It would fit better with a 166 on...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

All the info you asking is in the post above you unless I'm reading your question wrong.
When I got my cat skid I ended up with a 162 even tho I ordered a 153. This required me to mount it forward of stock holes. I have a big wheel kit also so that magnified it. I went 4.5inches forward of stock front hole I believe and with that I barely have the clearance to run a 162. It would fit better with a 166 on...

Guess what I'm asking is this... Does the Viper have the same stock mounting measurements as the Mountain Max?

the 2000 and up mtn max and the 03 and 04 mtn vipers share the same mount locations. 05 mtn viper had a different skid and I cant say 100% if it mounted the same.The 121 vipers do not!, but you can easily relocate and replicate what you need to achieve your goal if your dealing with a short track viper or any short track trailing arm 2 stroke yamaha. The next factor in the equation is what are you doing with the drivers? The 155 your considering is a 2.86 pitch and the 153 and 162 are 3" pitch. Your coming off 2.52 pitch.

In my opinion, the 2.86 is easier to adapt and maintain a balance so to speak along with clearance at the bulkhead over the 3" pitch. Somehow I have think those running the 3" pitch tracks in a stock mtn yamaha tunnel had clearance issues, or lacked the performance they could have had with better snow evacuation.

There are 162" available in 2.52 pitch from skidoos but they are 16 wide and need trimmed down which is messy. That is what I have in mine. With my big wheel kit also though I'm looking for a cheap used 166 from an rmk as that would fit over my rails better.. I wish I had the 153 skid I wanted instead of the 162 I got sent.

the 2000 and up mtn max and the 03 and 04 mtn vipers share the same mount locations. 05 mtn viper had a different skid and I cant say 100% if it mounted the same.The 121 vipers do not!, but you can easily relocate and replicate what you need to achieve your goal if your dealing with a short track viper or any short track trailing arm 2 stroke yamaha. The next factor in the equation is what are you doing with the drivers? The 155 your considering is a 2.86 pitch and the 153 and 162 are 3" pitch. Your coming off 2.52 pitch.

In my opinion, the 2.86 is easier to adapt and maintain a balance so to speak along with clearance at the bulkhead over the 3" pitch. Somehow I have think those running the 3" pitch tracks in a stock mtn yamaha tunnel had clearance issues, or lacked the performance they could have had with better snow evacuation.

Yes, I realize the 2.86 pitch and all. Just talked to Tripleswillneverdie and he is going to build me a extended chain case that moves it 1 3/4" down and 1 3/4" back. So no driver issues. And with the Fabcraft Tunnel and edge cooler wont be a problem with the chain case. So now its all about the details. LOL Trying to learn from others here and hope to make a improvement. I do appreciate all the help and info given. I will share and post the build

Back