This guy claims UPS told him $140 to ship these

Yama49601 said:
That's a pretty good deal then.

Yeah and we all have to pay for their $30 an hour drivers you know. Well actually more than that. They start their drivers out at $31 an hour.

Good for them,there isnt to many jobs around that pay that kind of money.I like to see good jobs like that in our home country.Too many of our good paying jobs are going overseas.

Zachalyse said:
By the sounds of things, you agreed to buy this without an agreed price on shipping? I never purchase anything from anyone without an agreed price. If he told you something different prior to the sale, I can see your point. But, If you simply purchased it without an agreed price on shipping, I have to say he is in the right on this one and you most likely will get negative feed back.

I'd try and work out some other shipping method with him and request a receipt for the shipping cost.

We tried that. He hung up on my friend. My friend agreed to buy these and pay all reasonable shipping costs. Not some astronomical price. Oh well. I guess we'll see what happens now. ;):D

blueblooded said:
Good for them,there isnt to many jobs around that pay that kind of money.I like to see good jobs like that in our home country.Too many of our good paying jobs are going overseas.

It's great if you work for them.

I'm trying to ship a belly pan for an SRX from Canada to the US and becase of the size its very close to being almost $400.00 for shipping. It is within inches of being a difference in $100.0 to $400.00. Either way its very expensive becasue of the size.

I just thought of another idea. Tell him to give you the box dimensions, and weight. Go to ups online and get the shipper. Then email it to him tell him to tape it on the box and drop it off. That way there are not extra charges.

did he actually give you the dimensions and weight of the box? If so you can figure out what it REALLY costs.

I had a set of 4 jeep wheels shipped fro AR to WI, and it should have only cost 40 dollars UPS ground even with 2 bigger boxes. The guy charged me 60 for shipping and I did not complain at all since it wouldn't get me anywhere. But he did make an extra 20 bucks off of me.

Far too often folks try to screw others over on shipping charges from Ebay.

I deal with some logistics of parts where I work, and I see what freight/ shipping costs are. Sometimes these shipments are big and oversized but do not weigh much like ceramic insulation.

About your negative feedback. My wife sells alot on ebay and she was just telling me that there changing things up and only the buyer can leave feedback about the seller and NOT visa versa. I don't know if they started that yet. She's kinda ticked off about it cause if she gets a bunk buyer she's screwed. Just keep trying to get ahold of him and work something out. I noticed he's new to ebay and if he's wants to keep a good standing he'll do what he can to take of the matter.

You can't really assume he's a snake here. Sounds like UPS is. Many agree with what UPS told him. If he won't work with you, than that's another thing.

I never use fed ex. There prices are a joke. They are fast but very expensive. For convience I use ups and if I want to drive to the post office I use them. At my store ive shipped small items less than a pound and it cost me 31.00 for about an hours drive south. I have an account set up on ups.com and I do all my own packaging, and trust me if there was a cheaper way I would have found it. I very cheap! I need to check out dhl though I forgot about them till you guys mentioned them. There needs to be more compitition to keep prices competitive.imo

Last edited:
joe.snow said:
About your negative feedback. My wife sells alot on ebay and she was just telling me that there changing things up and only the buyer can leave feedback about the seller and NOT visa versa. I don't know if they started that yet. She's kinda ticked off about it cause if she gets a bunk buyer she's screwed. Just keep trying to get ahold of him and work something out. I noticed he's new to ebay and if he's wants to keep a good standing he'll do what he can to take of the matter.

Yeah, it's been a flawed system that they have.

As far as feedback from the seller to the buyer, as soon as it is payed for the seller should give feedback, because at that time, the buyer's responsibilities are taken care of.

Most times the sellers will not leave feedback, despite them wanting feedback asap. It seems like they wait to make sure you give them a positive rating, then, they may or may not give you any feedback. We can't give feedback until the item shows up, so they don't give out feedback until they know you gave them a positive feedback.

That and the other problem of sellers (and buyers being dumb enough) to bid way more than what an item is worth. The used parts market is crazy there, with folks paying as much for used parts as new ones.

The price is most likely right. Get the size, weight and Zip code and check it yourself. There isn't anything wrong with the guy charging a little to box it up, get it to UPS etc. Gas and time isn't cheap anymore. You also have some responsibilitiy to check on shipping price before you bid also. I won't sell to Canada anymore because It has become a hassle dealing with the canadiens over the shipping costs. It has gone up and is expensive. The last bunch of stuff I sold two Canadians didn't pay because of the shipping costs, but neither asked and neither responded, just didn't pay. One very reasonable way to ship big items is with Greyhound, but you have to get it to a terminal and it has to be picked up from a terminal, but the prices are so low it is worth paying a little extra for the service. I have sold a bunch of sled parts on Ebay and sometimes the shipping is expensve just because of the size of the box. That is why you should always ask what shipping is before you bid.

Wow, I have some catching up to do here..

jaydaniels, that sucks

jwiedmayer, I would love to do that or get him to check with DHL or something else but I talked to him on the phone before he got the shipping quote and my first thought about how bright the guy is wasn't good (if you know what I mean). :o|

horkn, No he didn't give me the dimensions of the box. As soon as he heard that $140 was too high (when my friend called him) he hung up. Which makes me wonder if he just wanted to make a little extra off of this or something. Who knows. Maybe they really did tell him $140, but maybe he just wanted to get more out of the 3 pieces than the $53 and figured since we already agreed to pay the shipping and hadn't already agreed on an amount that he would just charge more for the shipping.

joe.snow, I know about the change they are making to feedback on there. That isn't going into effect until May. A lot of people are extremely unhappy about that too including me. Why shouldn't the seller be able to leave feedback? They claim one of the reasons it's changing is because as it is right now, buyers are afraid to leave honest feedback in fear of getting a negative from the seller. Someone made the comment about sellers leaving feedback as soon as the buyer pays, I have always left feedback for the buyer as soon as I receive payment. ALWAYS And I still have never gotten a negative feedback. I also always used to state in the auction that I would only charge actual shipping and to email me if you wanted a shipping quote. The problem with that was that I would get 20 people asking me how much to ship to 20 different locations. I tried using UPS's online calculator for a while (I have a couple different accurate digital scales) but it was never the same as what they charged me in my local UPS. And no, it is not a UPS Store either. There wasn't even a UPS Store in Cadillac until a few years ago and they charge more so I don't ever go there. That guy being new to ebay kind of sucks if you ask me. He has nothing to lose by just abandoning that account and starting over. :o|

Zachalyse, I don't know if he's a snake or not. I just wish he wouldn't have hung up as soon as he heard the words "$140 for shipping is too high". Why would he hang up? Why not try to work something out? If he is really only gonna charge actual shipping (which is what he claimed before I bid) what difference should it make to him if it costs less?

daman, I don't have a Toyota. :rofl:

YAMAHIZAL700, I have used DHL in the past. But it was for shipping goods to a guy out in Washington that we sell to every spring. He has the account set up so I don't know how much they charge. They come right to my house and pick the goods up.

horkn, I already commented about the seller leaving feedback first above. ebay should require the seller to leave feedback first. Sellers holding out to leave it for the buyer is a bunch of BS. I never get feedback left for me when I buy something until I leave it first. I also should have a lot more positive feedbacks as a buyer that they just never left. :o|

dmsrx700, If I was the one selling these to you or someone else I would get the best price possible. I wouldn't just tell you that I checked UPS and it's $140 and leave it at that. I know they can be shipped cheaper. I also would not #$%&* someone over just because a price hadn't already been agreed on. Which is what I'm thinking he might be trying to do since he hung up and wouldn't answer when we tried to call back.

Yama49601 said:
$250 to ship a hood is absurd. I've never even heard of Greyhound Freight.

Ive heard of a lot of people shipping oversized through Greyhound as well. I forgot about them. This would probably be the cheapest way if the seller isn't being a total dink about the whole thing.

yama49601, unfortunately not everyone on ebay does the right thing like you do regarding trader ratings of buyers.

Which is why the change is going to take place

You both share the blame IMO - you should have got a shipping quote before bidding, and he should have listed it saying he would provide one. $140 is steep for a <$60 item.

That just plain sucks, especially if he left you negative feedback.

YAMAHIZAL700 said:
I never use fed ex. There prices are a joke. They are fast but very expensive. For convience I use ups and if I want to drive to the post office I use them. At my store ive shipped small items less than a pound and it cost me 31.00 for about an hours drive south.

Something is not right, or the UPS places you guys use are a rip-off. I shipped a 96 pound package(800 VES complete motor and primary clutch) to Shakopee, MN which is 300 miles away(5 hours) for $50 one way.

I know it is also cheaper to go directly to UPS than to go to the shipping depot and use UPS through them. Then you cut out there cut.

I just shipped a 96# Viper motor to CANADA with UPS from Chicago suburb. This box went across the border and was pretty good sized and it was $79, and insured for $1300 bumped it up to $96. It's not UPS ripping you off, it's the SHIPPER! Don't blame the $31/hr drivers. I am one, and have been one for 12 yrs. I don't make $31/hr, nor will my next yearly raise take me from $27 to 31/hr.

Back