Exciter 570 Gods unite.. i need your help

exciter 89 i have sx carbs on the 87 exciter i bought . my throttle does not start to pull the carbs until about 1/4 to 1/2 way i think it is because they (the carbs) need to use the sx throttle block, i believe the pull ratio is different than the round slides. are you having the same problem?

i-m not sure. my kill switch was broken so i swapped the throttle block the same times i did the carbs. i'm using one from a 96 vmax XT

i've also got a 3" handlebar riser and am usind the powermadd cable extension which is adjustable. the throttle opens almost right away. its perfect in my opinion

according to yamaha part numbers the same throttle block was used from 87-91. 92 had a different number. 93 had another different number and the SX part is different again. starting with 8AY

UPDATE, I have the carbs completely rebuilt to SX specs, only part that is not SX is the slides. the carbs still have the 3.0 slides not the 2.5 SX slides. will this matter? i have the correct SX 570 needles, still idles fine, still falls flat on its face when i try to open the throttle. i've tried it with TORS hooked up, and tried it with TORS bypassed, (just loop the carb wires together right?) i'm really stumped here, i honestly don't know what to look for anymore. we were going to go up north for one last time on the 28th. so off to the dealer it goes on monday. hopefully they can tell me something and get it to run by friday. fat chance i know but its worth a last minute shot.

i would drop the pilots a couple sizes and lean it out some and try it. still sounds rich.how is it in the midrange?

i tried dropping the needles to position 1 with no change. i ran these carbs with the 155 mains before and it worked just fine. i'm going to swing it by yamaha tomorrow and see what they suggest. i was planning on playing in the snow fri and sat so i really don't have time to mess with it myself anymore. worst case i figured is they woudl find a vaccuum leak in the case or something. i guess i'll see. i'll report back with the results.

has anyone else used vmax 600 carbs on an exciter? would the different slide make that much of a difference for it to not run? i see the vmax 500 carb slides have the same 8AY part number as the SX flatslides

there was a mouse nest in the exhaust. the pipe sat in my garage for a couple years and i had the end off and didn't see anything, it was jambed up around the bend. got it cleaned out and it runs great now. :o|

Oh Boy, anyway, the 2.5 slides are still gonna make the thing rich down low till 1/4 throttle, and the nozzles are different, the only place that would be listed is the 93 tech update book and I don't have it. One quwestion I forgot to ask, these are 94 carbs and do the needles come out the top with just turning one allen screw?

yeah they come out the top with just the one allen. its a 2.5 mm i beleive. it actually runs pretty good, dosent seem to be too rich. i'll do some plug chops today and see what the plugs look like. i have the SX needles and nozzles.

just installed sx carbs and psi pipe on my 87, just waiting to recieve the right throttle block in the mail. how does your sled run with the setup you are running now? anxious to know what to expect.

im going to try a throttle block from a 97 xt 600 has the same part# (8ab)as the 95 vmax 600 which basically is the same as the 94(8ay) which was updated because the thumbwarmers did not work well in 94,so i believe it is just a part# change. 93 sx and 94 vmax had same part#s for throttle block(8ay)i will let you know if it works out but i think it will

Hey ramblnman. what jets are supposed to be used with the psi pipes? and what kind of gasket is used? I got some with my exciter but the gaskets are gone. I have a bad exhaust leak and need to fix asap. tried emailing psi but didn't get a response.

155 mains if it is for your sx ,it is unchanged from stock. if you have direct oil injection 1 main size leaner is recommended also supposed to change the stock 39 degree helix for a 45 degree helix. it sayspsi pipe is 98hp at 7600rpm. stock is 93hp at 7750rpm

ramblnman said:
just installed sx carbs and psi pipe on my 87, just waiting to recieve the right throttle block in the mail. how does your sled run with the setup you are running now? anxious to know what to expect.

i didnt catch this post till now, it runs excellent, the last couple days of the season last year it started to warm up outside and it would dog down if idled for extended periods at stops and such since the warmer temps made it run richer, but thats pretty much true of any carbed sled i would imagine. i have a extra set of jugs and a cylinder head i'd like to get proted/milled to SX specs. oh and for the throttle block i used one off a 96 Vmax and i had no issues.

thanks exciter89! 96 vmax throttle block worked perfect!cant wait to run this sled! just freshened up the engine ,will have to clutch it when we get some snow though.

Anyone know what sizes of jets to run in a stock SX. I know they run pretty rich, so was wondering what kind of jets that would be safe to run. Congrats on getting your EX fixed Exciter89

Last edited:
ramblnman said:
thanks exciter89! 96 vmax throttle block worked perfect!cant wait to run this sled! just freshened up the engine ,will have to clutch it when we get some snow though.

let me know what you do with the clutching. i used a comet 108 with the 52 gram arms and blue spring, and i used the stock exciter secondary for now with the stock helix and the pink sx spring. the pink sx spring can be had from a yami dealer for like 3 bucks i think it was. i'm going to upgrade to a newer vmax secondary one of these days.

Back