Exciter 570 Gods unite.. i need your help

I'm slowly getting my '89 ready for the year. I've got my cold air intake, NOS SX y-pipe, PSI single, SX flatslide carbs, and i think i've found a throttle block. I'm wondering what intake manifolds you guys are using with the flatslide carbs? The sled has butterfly's from an '87 on it now - will i be able to use those, or will the inlet diameter be too small for the big carbs?

A.

87' manifolds will not work they have too big of an ID, for the butterflys, you should be able to order the manifolds from Yammie or even aftermarket?

A stock SX would run great with 150's they came way too rich.

You need to find the 3.0 slides the off idle response will be much better as well as trail riding fuel milage.

Classic SRX said:
I'm slowly getting my '89 ready for the year. I've got my cold air intake, NOS SX y-pipe, PSI single, SX flatslide carbs, and i think i've found a throttle block. I'm wondering what intake manifolds you guys are using with the flatslide carbs? The sled has butterfly's from an '87 on it now - will i be able to use those, or will the inlet diameter be too small for the big carbs?

A.
sounds like we have almost the exact same setup, i used the stock manifolds from my 89, worked absolutely fine. you can find them from any exciter that does not have the butterfly carbs.

Exciter89 said:
sounds like we have almost the exact same setup, i used the stock manifolds from my 89, worked absolutely fine. you can find them from any exciter that does not have the butterfly carbs.

Yeah, we're real close. I got my NOS y-pipe last week, and have a small issue. When I check out the on-line parts fiche, the illustration of this y-pipe looks like the flange is welded to the y-pipe like on all the other EX's, but the one I've got in my hand has no flange. It looks like I need a seperate chunk of pipe and an exhaust flange gasket like the '95 & '96 V max's had. Is yours similar?

Angus

looks like the updated it to a 95 vmax 600 y pipe end to me. you need exhaust gasket part# 8ab-14714-01.to make that work.looks like they updated the part # on the fiche. this is a better design than the old y pipes cause the gasket wears instead of the bell on the pipe!

Last edited:
yeah mine is the old bell style, it was a new take off someone had laying around forever so it was in mint shape. looks like yours should work with the gasket ramblin mentioned.

Exciter carb issue.

Just found this post, great info. Here's what I have going on, my machine is a 1993 SX. I put in fresh pistons, new seals and gaskets. I have installed a set of PSI duals with a home ceramic coat kit, still have to install the exhaust wrap and sealant. I have been working my way down slowly on the jets, started @ 160 and now down to 152.6 for the MJ, 3rd position on the nedles, carbs should be synced pretty close. I removed the oil pump and resivoir and fabricated a little blank off cover to go where the oil pump used to be. I have been running 89 octane 50:1 Amsoil synthetic premix. I am running a Digitron with dual EGT and ECT and RPM. The higest I have seen the EGT has been below 700 degrees F. I have only idled the machine since the ceramic spray paint, looks like the paint raised the EGT's by about 100 degrees so I think that with the Exhaust wrap I should be close. Plug chops prior were showing a little rich. PSI reccomended 3 jet sizes larger, book calls for 150 MJ for my elevation. I geared my machine to 17 X 33, I am running Mountain Max clutches with a 136" X 1.25" Ripsaw. So that SX should be squared away. I love that machine!

Next, I purchased a 1991 Exciter 2 with electric start for my wife, I installed a 121" X 1" Challenger track, removed the oil pump same as above. I put a Bender Racing Pipe on this one and Vmax 600 flat slides. I jetted way too lean as well and have 156 MJ in there now, gonna put 150's in. The needles have a skinny taper at the bottom. I leaned the needles as much as possible. But she as a terrible bog off of the bottom, starts great, idles great but will bog so bad that at time's she won't even move! She ran fine stock with the round slides and the stock pipe. I could just put it all back in but that is too easy. Stock clutching on that machine!

Can you guy's tell me when you say nozzel size, what is that??
I know what the MJ are, slides are, fuel screw, Pilot jet, but what are nozzels?

Next project is a 1984 Vmax, I installed a set of PSI duals on that one and my round slides from my 1991 Exciter, 121 X 1.25" RipSAw. I went one tooth down on the top gear but I have a bag full of gears to pick from. That machine has a 104 Comet as well.

So what would you guy's reccomend for settings on each of them?

Gearing, clutching, jetting. All riding will be around 700 meter's 2500 feet.

I have a kit that I found some place to fix issue's with the powerjet carbs from eary Exciters, Should I put them back on the Vmax or run em on the 1991 Exciter? Or just try and get the flat slides dialed in?

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

i believe they are calling them nozzles but actually they are needle jets, the tube the needle travels in, if it were me i would get the flatslides dialed in.

bluepsylo said:
Just found this post, great info. Here's what I have going on, my machine is a 1993 SX. I put in fresh pistons, new seals and gaskets. I have installed a set of PSI duals with a home ceramic coat kit, still have to install the exhaust wrap and sealant. I have been working my way down slowly on the jets, started @ 160 and now down to 152.6 for the MJ, 3rd position on the nedles, carbs should be synced pretty close. I removed the oil pump and resivoir and fabricated a little blank off cover to go where the oil pump used to be. I have been running 89 octane 50:1 Amsoil synthetic premix. I am running a Digitron with dual EGT and ECT and RPM. The higest I have seen the EGT has been below 700 degrees F. I have only idled the machine since the ceramic spray paint, looks like the paint raised the EGT's by about 100 degrees so I think that with the Exhaust wrap I should be close. Plug chops prior were showing a little rich. PSI reccomended 3 jet sizes larger, book calls for 150 MJ for my elevation. I geared my machine to 17 X 33, I am running Mountain Max clutches with a 136" X 1.25" Ripsaw. So that SX should be squared away. I love that machine!

Next, I purchased a 1991 Exciter 2 with electric start for my wife, I installed a 121" X 1" Challenger track, removed the oil pump same as above. I put a Bender Racing Pipe on this one and Vmax 600 flat slides. I jetted way too lean as well and have 156 MJ in there now, gonna put 150's in. The needles have a skinny taper at the bottom. I leaned the needles as much as possible. But she as a terrible bog off of the bottom, starts great, idles great but will bog so bad that at time's she won't even move! She ran fine stock with the round slides and the stock pipe. I could just put it all back in but that is too easy. Stock clutching on that machine!

Can you guy's tell me when you say nozzel size, what is that??
I know what the MJ are, slides are, fuel screw, Pilot jet, but what are nozzels?

Next project is a 1984 Vmax, I installed a set of PSI duals on that one and my round slides from my 1991 Exciter, 121 X 1.25" RipSAw. I went one tooth down on the top gear but I have a bag full of gears to pick from. That machine has a 104 Comet as well.

So what would you guy's reccomend for settings on each of them?

Gearing, clutching, jetting. All riding will be around 700 meter's 2500 feet.

I have a kit that I found some place to fix issue's with the powerjet carbs from eary Exciters, Should I put them back on the Vmax or run em on the 1991 Exciter? Or just try and get the flat slides dialed in?

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

Hello, do you have some picture of your hand bar for see Digatron mount?

Back