2007 Silverado Payload

VenomMod

I'm planning on hauling 1 ton of wood pellets from Houghton Michigan to just south of the Mackinaw Bridge (300 miles away). My parents can't find any wood pellets for my grandpa in the area down there so I found some to bring home at Christmas break. I was wondering if you guys thought this might be too much for an '07 Silverado extended cab? I know it's over the max payload, but have done this with other brands and been ok. Just not too sure with my new baby. Thanks for the input.

I would not worry at all. If it can fit in the bed nicely, and doesn't squat the rear end of the truck down to the bumps stops, then you should be fine if you take it easy. No tailgating, crazy passing or any of that stuff.;)

The easiest way to tell is to load it up, and go down the road a few miles. If it seems ok, and I bet it will, you should be good.

Ideally the best way to transport this would be on a trailer.

and YMMV ;)

I would trailer it, but both trailers are home with pops. I'll probably go for it. I'm not too scared. I'll just have to take it easy. Last big load I hauled was with my F150 and it was 2400lbs of quickrete, but I had 2 extra springs in the back. Just not too sure about the new Chevys. It'll have to prove itself with me.

Home Depot in Gaylord got 22 tons in today with 44 ton more due in on the 12th if they want to pick some up closer....if they still have some.

Call for Maim to chime in here (he fixes suspensions for a living) but If I remember correctly 07 1500 had 2 leafs + rebound plate, do it once and go easy on the bumps and you should be fine(leafs are 0.401" thick or metric equivalent) as long as it is not on the bump stops. They do sell rubber spring load booster kits that you can install at home that replace the bump stop and will increase your payload but will not affect your unloaded ride. If you do break something chevy's break the clip leaf(2nd leaf) on that model which means the main will be fine and you can get her home(with broken peice removed)

Other than that message Maim as he has been fixing these things for years.

If she breaks, then I'll back to Ford. LOL. Thanks for the info. I think it'll be alright. I'm not going to hot rod on it. I'll send Maim a message.

VenomMod said:
If she breaks, then I'll back to Ford. LOL. Thanks for the info. I think it'll be alright. I'm not going to hot rod on it. I'll send Maim a message.

The Chevy pickups are not built as heavy duty as the Fords, a simple vehicle weight check on comparable models proves that, as well as a visial inspection , but I am sure you are aware of that. ;)!

Regardless, I doubt that load, if you have to drive that far now, will present a problem. Those airbag overload springs are a great idea though if you haul heavy stuff, and they do not decrease the ride quality.

you could always rent a trailer, or do half in the truck and half on a trailer??
all depends. depends what the load looks like once its on the truck??

I agree DV8. it really depends on how it looks once loaded.

I am pretty sure those nice heavy blue Chep's pallets are like 55-60 lbs each, while most normal duty hardwood pallets are like 30-35 lbs.

Assuming these are HD 60lb ones, 2000 lbs worth equates to 33 pallets. The normal hardwood ones would equate to like 57 pallets figuring 35 lbs each. I think trying to fit near 60 pallets on a short fullsize bed would not be easily done, if at all.

I fit like 30 or so on my dad's 1 ton 94 chevy 8foot bed and it was pretty full. I even used the ladder rack and stacked them high to hold more than you typically can.

But it sounds like the OP does have a trailer and does not expect to fit all of them in the bed of the truck.

I think you would be hard pressed to fit them all in, I bought 6 pallets worth a month ago, and there was no way they were fitting in my 8' box, I borrowed a heavy duty equipment trailer...... worked great, especially loading with forklift at the store..

I'm only picking up one ton's worth of wood pellets. There's forty bags on a pallet at fifty pounds. I'll just have to see how they look when I put it in the back of my truck. If nothing else, I'll leave a couple bags behind and not worry about it too much.

I don't think it should be a problem,I hauled 1 1/2 tons of landscape bricks in my 1/2 ton Chevy. I didn't haul them 300 miles though,only about 50 miles

I once hauled 21 square of shingles in my old 73 suburban, thats 3,780 lbs. Boy was she a squating both axles. All I had room for was the driver seat, passenger and center seat was completly taken up along with the entire cargo area, Oh ya half ton 4X4.

Back