2007 Silverado Payload

Eh, that 07 silverado is 2 years old now. You can get a new one for a lot less than you paid for it back in 07. I have seen new 08 f150's that I know sticker well over 40k with price tags on them of 21-25k...Load it up and see what it can do.;)

I like the duramax very reliable truck/motor combo, i do like dodge too, they got the cummins going for them but dodge chassis ain't really the best out there so i hear.... ALL my buddies have no problems though.

The terms, 1500, 2500,3500... don't really mean anything anymore... 1500 is supposed to be 1/2 ton, 2500 is 3/4 ton, and 3500 is 1 ton..... back in the day when those numbers came out originally back when suspensions were plain and simple and not as beefy, those numbers were legit.... nowadays i see guys with 5th wheels/goosenecks on their 1500's and 2500's.....

1500's can take a 1 ton load nowadays, and 3/4 is even higher yet, and the 1 ton is on the better half of 4000 pounds....

TIMBRENS always helped with the sag though. (oversized Rubber bumpstops that bolt into stock location) http://www.timbren.com/aeon-rubber-springs.htm

we have a set on my dads 01 gmc sierra 1500 for the Camper weight

Last edited:
I installed a a set of super duty air bags from summit on my 1500 suburban.It sat nice and level when i pulled my 30 ft travel trailer which weighs about 7500 lbs.My brother in law had a set on his 96 half ton chevy and he was pulling a 9000 lb race car trailer.I have an 07 1/2 ton silverado now and i dont seem to need the airbags when i pull the camper anymore.You'll be fine.

blueblooded said:
Get the duramax instead. ;)!

eh.. you mean an isuzu?

At least GM gave up and farmed out their diesels to an asian company after they couldn't build a decent diesel themselves.

Yamidude59 said:
TIMBRENS always helped with the sag though. (oversized Rubber bumpstops that bolt into stock location) http://www.timbren.com/aeon-rubber-springs.htm

we have a set on my dads 01 gmc sierra 1500 for the Camper weight

we sell these and they work really well. have had set on my last 3 trucks. really helps with the body roll on heavy loads. last truck was weighed in once with 5 ton in the back. needless to say the next couple i did not load as heavy. helped this fall when i was hauling firewood home. with 2 bush cords in the truck it handled godd and rode nice. good thing the wood was dry.

horkn said:
eh.. you mean an isuzu?

At least GM gave up and farmed out their diesels to an asian company after they couldn't build a decent diesel themselves.

ummm....a ford fan picking on chevy for outsourcing?

the duramax is a solid diesel regardless of if its asian... foreign engineering is better than american in some aspects. We ride yamaha's right? they are foreign.
fords are no good.

MAIM, did you have 5 ton in a 1500 with timbrens? if so, even it could handle the weight, i doubt the axle could for very long

blueblooded said:
ummm....a ford fan picking on chevy for outsourcing?

Yep.

I actually think it is a good move, since GM couldn't ever figure out how to make a decent diesel.

Yamidude, I like foreign vehicles. I even own a few. :) You wouldn't believe how many duramax owners were not aware that they had a "ferrin" motor in their "big american truck". I think it is quite funny actually when you see their faces when they realize their vehicle isn't as "patriotic" as they think it is.
I am not really a GM fan, though. I have had too many bad experiences with them to like them. Now all the fords I have had over the years (and over a million miles) have never given me the grief that GM's have given me.

Yamidude59 said:
fords are no good.

So which of Ford's diesel engine's are no good?7.3L, 6.0L, or 6.4L. I do have a question for ya.......If Duramax's are so great why do I see them going through Injectors and Fuel Injection Pumps on trucks with less than 100,000 miles on them? In no why are these cheap replacement parts just between those 2 parts(8 injectors/1 Fuel Injection Pump) alone your bill will be over $3000 pending year/model engine not including all necessary gaskets and labor to boot.

Last edited:
the 7.3 fords were the best they had. I've NEVER heard of those problems ever arising with anyone i know with duramax's.... I would buy a cummins over duramax.

you ford guys i tell ya! brainwashed!

Yamidude59 said:
the 7.3 fords were the best they had. I've NEVER heard of those problems ever arising with anyone i know with duramax's.... I would buy a cummins over duramax.

you ford guys i tell ya! brainwashed!

How many people do you know with Duramax's? Im willing to bet not as many I see working at a dealership.

LMAO!!!! Yep thats why I drive a 08 Silverado 4x4 1500MAX 6.0L AND a 02 Silverado 4x2 1500 4.8L rolling on GM factory 20's, cause Ford has me brainwashed.

Last edited:
horkn said:
Yep.

Yamidude, I like foreign vehicles. I even own a few. :) You wouldn't believe how many duramax owners were not aware that they had a "ferrin" motor in their "big american truck". I think it is quite funny actually when you see their faces when they realize their vehicle isn't as "patriotic" as they think it is.

Does thier faces kinda look like mustang owners when they find out thier tranny was made in mexico?

ExpertXViper said:
So which of Ford's diesel engine's are no good?7.3L, 6.0L, or 6.4L. I do have a question for ya.......If Duramax's are so great why do I see them going through Injectors and Fuel Injection Pumps on trucks with less than 100,000 miles on them? In no why are these cheap replacement parts just between those 2 parts(8 injectors/1 Fuel Injection Pump) alone your bill will be over $3000 pending year/model engine not including all necessary gaskets and labor to boot.

While i agree the 7.3 was a great motor,the new 6.0 has its fair share of problems.Do a search on ford 6.0 recalls and look for yourself.

blueblooded said:
horkn said:
Yep.

Does thier faces kinda look like mustang owners when they find out thier tranny was made in mexico?

All 3 US companies use some parts made in Mexico. Heck some entire cars are made there. Gotta love NAFTA.

I am sure a lot of Trannies are made in Mexico, but I sure don't want to see one. LOL

blueblooded said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navistar_VT_engine

Trust me I fully aware of the issues with the 6.0L along with some with the New 6.4TT, I was merely asking Yamidude as I know he has a wealth of knowledge on the topic. But the fact of the matter is I can find dirt(recalls/bulletins) on all these engines builders. What sucks is they(Big3) back these diesels engine builders and come to find out it can costs them $$$$$$$$$$ in the long run when something isnt designed/built/manuf right. But the Big 3 are the ones to blame as their the ones that contracted/installed them in thier vehicles. So really I personally blame the engine builders and not the people that built the frame/body around it. What about the Big3's gas engines they design and build?....You really dont see a whole lot of recalls/bulletins with there engines. Regardless all vehicles have there problems weather it american or foreign, if we live in a perfect world, dealers would only be around to sell cars.

Look at Arctic Cat, if a engine fails they get the blame even though Suzuki is building their sleds engines. But I know Suzuki builds quailty goods so I think corners are being cut on Arctic Cats end $$$$$$$$$$$ wise and Suzuki is just building engines to meet Cat's $$$$$$$$$$$$ standards. I could be wrong but thats how I see it.

Last edited:
ExpertXViper said:
Look at Arctic Cat, if a engine fails they get the blame even though Suzuki is building their sleds engines. But I know Suzuki builds quailty goods so I think corners are being cut on Arctic Cats end $$$$$$$$$$$ wise and Suzuki is just building engines to meet Cat's $$$$$$$$$$$$ standards. I could be wrong but thats how I see it.

That is EXACTLY the biggest problem with cats. The other issue is cheap quality parts such as bearings. Cat has come a long way in fit and finish in the last few years, so I do have to give them some credit. Suzuki makes great products, but they don't make sleds anymore. Things have changed a bit since the 80's when they made invaders. LOL Suzuki is told to make a motor a certain size and power level, and cat plops in into a chassis. If it isn't fast enough as is, then cat tweaks it, resulting in problems like they had on the first year F7 (04 IIRC). They had a lot of issues with those motors blowing up under warranty. I don't blame suzuki one bit for any motor issues on cat's. I blame cat.

Yamidude59 said:
MAIM, did you have 5 ton in a 1500 with timbrens? if so, even it could handle the weight, i doubt the axle could for very long

well i only did 1 load that heavy with that truck. you could feel the frame flex instead of the suspension. i know 2-3 tons does no damage at all because i did that every week for 3 years with a similarly equiped truck. still had origonal powertrain in it when i sold it.

ExpertXViper said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navistar_VT_engine
I was merely asking Yamidude as I know he has a wealth of knowledge on the topic.

i sense sarcasm. loose your damn atitude.

i'm more into the heavy truck scene, i don't know alot about fords and their problems. but i know a few buddies who drive them do! foreign vehicles are very reliable IMO, never said they weren't.

MAIM, that is not a smart idea to have 10,000 pounds in 1500 even with timbrens, tires have a load rating and even 2-3 tons is pushing it on those trucks unless you got some hot modded truck with beefy tires. get a bigger truck!

Last edited:

Back