2007 Silverado Payload

ExpertX. I am in no way a wealth of info about any aspect of pickup trucks and their motors, besides the cummins. I do not read up on anything, i go purely based on what i am told and do not bother to look into it because it does not interest me.... I will not buy ford i can tell you that much.

I don't want you getting the idea that i don't know how things work on trucks,because i am indeed a diesel mechanic, its the fact that i guess i should not of mislead you with you purely biased opinion on fords and lack of backing up my talk with recalls, because i can't. so bash all you want, i know what i know and thats the end of it.

Last edited:

No sarcasm here, just the truth is all and you proved it right here "i don't know alot about fords and their problems" shown in your last post. Just because you have a FEW buddies that have had problems doesnt always mean the other 100,000+ ford diesel owners have the same problems. Alot of it can be lack of maintence or mods(esp. programmers) than have been done to it to cause these issues. GM enforces if a vehicles ECM has ever had a A/M ECM reflash, warranty is to be noitifed, and warranty will not cover the costs on the parts or labor. And what alot of people THINK is if they remove there A/M ECM program before bring it to the dealer, the tech will show no sign of a reflash to the ECM. Well this is very untrue cause it can be found, at least on GM's, Im not sure on Ford's and Chrysler's.

Post all you want, but Im all done making my point here.

Last edited:
i always put on the e load rating tires. less flats in the bush. i would not even try with p rated tires as they suck for carrying weight/lasting. already up-graded to a heavy half.

venom mod did you ever haul your pellets? I find breaking down the skid by spreading them out helps the most really gets rid of that top heavy feel which sucks for a 1/2 hr let alone accross the UP. using my 2500 HD drives easy spread out, but top heavy left on skid tall. This year to save fuel I just hauled 5 tall skids at once in one trip, 1 1/2 ton each. used my 99 3500hd 12 ft dump 6.5td and my 22 ton trailer, rides like caddy this way. 4.88 gears and 19.5 tires tow pretty good even with 250,000 miles. as to all the guys braggin their trucks, now days their all GREAT and even have overdrive that lasts. I used to tow my 410 jd back hoe with my 82 ford 3/4 with a 300 six and a 4 speed granny 4.56 gears towed it fine but highway cruising sounded like a loud school bus tranny. all big three make great trucks. as to the toy trucks there nice but their commericals bug me. I have a back hoe and trailer to any toy owner who wants race towards a cliff and jab the brakes. they couldn't pull just the trailer. like their six speed auto though, my next dump truck will do 100mph

edr454 said:
venom mod did you ever haul your pellets? I find breaking down the skid by spreading them out helps the most really gets rid of that top heavy feel which sucks for a 1/2 hr let alone accross the UP. using my 2500 HD drives easy spread out, but top heavy left on skid tall. This year to save fuel I just hauled 5 tall skids at once in one trip, 1 1/2 ton each. used my 99 3500hd 12 ft dump 6.5td and my 22 ton trailer, rides like caddy this way. 4.88 gears and 19.5 tires tow pretty good even with 250,000 miles. as to all the guys braggin their trucks, now days their all GREAT and even have overdrive that lasts. I used to tow my 410 jd back hoe with my 82 ford 3/4 with a 300 six and a 4 speed granny 4.56 gears towed it fine but highway cruising sounded like a loud school bus tranny. all big three make great trucks. as to the toy trucks there nice but their commericals bug me. I have a back hoe and trailer to any toy owner who wants race towards a cliff and jab the brakes. they couldn't pull just the trailer. like their six speed auto though, my next dump truck will do 100mph

FWIW The tundra is actually built heavier duty than the GM and dodge trucks. Check the weight of the big 3 vs the tundra in similar configuration.
Yota makes a fine product, even full size trucks. Now I am leery about the titan. They still have a lot of issues with those even afetr a few years.

horkn said:
FWIW The tundra is actually built heavier duty than the GM and dodge trucks. Check the weight of the big 3 vs the tundra in similar configuration.
Yota makes a fine product, even full size trucks. Now I am leery about the titan. They still have a lot of issues with those even afetr a few years.

HMMMMMM......Some interesting comments you make that Id like to argue with..........
http://www.gmfleet.com/pages/submodelTrailering/2008_Chevrolet_Silverado_1500.jsp
http://www.gmfleet.com/pages/submodelSpecifications/2008_Chevrolet_Silverado_1500.jsp

Check Max. towing under a 1500 Ext Cab. 6.0L 4x4 4.10 Standard Box(My Truck)........I see 10500lbs.
Check under curb weight now....if round up, you got 5300lbs.

Toyota Tundra
http://www.toyota.com/tundra/specs.html#
Check Max. towing under a Limited Double Cab 5.7L 4x4 4.10 Tundra(Comparable to my truck)....I see 10300lbs. with a curb weight of 5540lbs.

Your only talking a 250-300lbs diff between a Silverado and Tundra but the Silverado is rated for more towing? How do YOU know that extra weight in the Tundra isnt tied up in sheet metal, interior, engine, trans, etc? Just because you have a little extra weight, in no way does that mean its all in your suspension/brakes/frame/axles. But say it was, your only talking 300lbs which in my eyes isnt a whole lot when you talking a 2 ton vehicle.

Heres a little watching for you HEAVIER DUTY Tundra guys
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWjTbiYo3x0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-jW-jkFX5U&feature=channel

What a nice strong and rigid frame of that Tundra......Oh look another one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-jW-jkFX5U&feature=channel

Last edited:
this is what i ment by the toy commericals bugging me. the average guy sees their commerical of big mannly construction lookin guys talking big about their trucks and eats it up. the difference is the 1/2 ton toy is a best they got. for the big three 1/2 ton is the begining. I'm sure you all see a lot of toys pulling goosenecks loaded with hay , my father in law used his 78 ford 1/2 ton 4 x 4 bought new until 2000 with a plate goose neck bolted to the bed for farming, hay, 30 foot cattle trailer loaded full, a c-6 and 9 inch rear and their still fine even though he had swapped in a 460 to replace the modified. what everyone is always talking about is power but you should look at trannys, axles, oil coolers yes oil, heavy duty tranny coolers all standard on my 2500 hd. Look up the diff in cost for a 3/4 ton and look at the tow option from factory. tow opion on my truck added hitch, 7 way plug at hitch, oil cooler, extra hd tranny cooler, pigtail for electric brake controller, no wire splicing, tranny temp gage factory installed all for like 290.00 The 4l80e is a great tranny, I would like a second OD for towing light loads fast like a 4 place up 127 on friday nights. btw i get 11mph towing a two place at 80mph but i also get the same empty need more gears to jam. Lets see if i put my old 4 speed in backwards behind my auto what would my final ratio be.

Everyone will buy what they want to buy. You can't change that, nor can one expect one to change brands. It is a gut feeling thing to most people.

250 lbs is 250 lbs. On the chevy like yours, I bet the 6spd tranny in the tundra is where a lot of that weight is, unless you have an allison tranny. Yotas typically have thinner sheet metal than american cars, but GM fullsizes have been pretty thin since like the 88 model, so that may be a wash. Any manufacturer can rate their vehicle to whatever payload they want, whether it can handle it or not. Ever notice how GM keeps the engine the same, but keeps rating them higher and higher HP to meet of beat the competition? There is no law stating that any MFG has to actually be able to back up hp claims.

Ford F150's do pretty darn well with only 300 hp as far as tow rating, and real world towing comaprisons, despite being the heaviest of all the half ton trucks.
I recall a 5.3 silverado rated at over 300 hp only making like 190 at the wheels. That was a lot more hp either lost in the drivetrain, or just not there. No other brand of full size truck had a 40% driveline loss like the GM.

GM always seems to want to have the best of everything, while using old tech, even Chrysler infuses new tech into their full size trucks.

Here is a little excerpt from a car and driver magazine...
"New issue comparison:

Gm's 6.0 L with fuel management w/ 367 hp @5500 rpm's & 375 lb/ft @ 4300 r's, 4.10:1. vs. tundra dc,ltd,trd,5.7L w/ 6 sp. auto.
Tundra has a wider powerband with 2000 rpm between peaks as opposed to the gm's 1200 rpm spread. Almost double.
With the 6 speed in the tundra it puts 20% more twist to the wheels in 1st gear and the gap widens from there. Gm just can't get the 6 speed in their trucks soon enough. The tundra was 18% quicker in our towing tests, 0-65,45-65, & 20-65mph. Even when towing a 5500 lb trailer with 806 lbs on the bumper, the tundra spun the tires at start. The tundra averaged 15% better fuel efficiency while towing. The gm's v-4 did not engage very often other than at drop throttle. Gm's Epa numbers show 1 mpg better but our exercises didn't agree with that.
They loaded the tundra with over a ton of cement bags & then offloaded half of that into the gmc. Being well over weight limits, the tundra still had travel in the rear leafs! They did like how the gmc handled with the weight due to it's lower center of gravity. However, they said the gmc was noisier in cabin than the tundra. The trd bilstiens proved their worth in this test. They claimed their 4x4,trd,ltd,dc has a payload of only 1180? Don't know where they got those figures. My dc sr5 says it is 1655 lbs.
The tundra's brakes are no less bulletproof than the gmc's, but were used less due to tundras sequential trans braking. They wished it didn't go into 4th while downshifting as 5th was often just right. They think the tundras trac should be toned down a bit. I don't think they knew how to turn it off! with 800 lbs tongue weight added to each truck, they both dropped 4" (4.2 for tundra & 4.0" for gmc) even though the claimed gm's payload was 600 more than the tundra. And the tundra wasn't even on the bumpstops w/ 1800 lbs payload. Once hooked to the trailers, the gmc's comfort immediately went away due to no tow mirrors. The tundra's AT temp guage never moved while the gmc's showed 199 degrees in acceleration tests. It was fairly cool outside though. The trailer tended to drive the back of the tundra & had more effect on the front of the gmc's. Which required more frequent steering corrections on the gmc. Toyota had better directional stability.
After a few hard trips down a bumpy road, the gmc's fuel door popped open several times. They commented on the pricing of the tundra as a bit higher than average but fully competitive. Similarly equipped, the sierra had a $900 higher price tag but the 6 speed auto is not available yet, nor is front side airbags, or brake assist.

Truck trends prediction:
The gmc equipped for family recreation as tested, with a more appealing interior, & greater payload capacity are not enough to overcome the tundra's superior powertrain performance,safety equipment, larger cabin, & better fuel economy in every situation.
The 3rd time is indeed the charm for toyota as the 3rd generation full-size pickup has set the bench mark another notch higher! "

Even with the smaller displacement, the yota did everything better than the silverado 6.0.

Last edited:
I made the long haul, and everything worked out just fine. Never went down to the bump stops, it rode nice. I did notice just a little top heavy, but that was expected. Truck did a good job. I was pleased with it's performance.

car and driver?nothing but honest information for imports only

car and driver?? holy crap next thing you'll tell me is that consumer reports picked a import car unfrecking beilevable. well i bet if you looked at back issues they both picked the yugo as the best new car. Have you sent money to the save the polar bear fund yet --1973 appox 5000 bears this year 25,000 help the poor polar bear. have you heard the save the snowman fund is being started on the radio the poor things are dying needlessly from global warming. As I mentioned in a earlier post I have a back hoe and trailer available for towing by any toy owner. please post a link for goose necks for toys so farmers can get to using these great new trucks. the other day i passed a bunch of toy dump trucks and plow trucks I hope IH is ready to be put out of the dump truck market. car and driver said out dated technology again do they use the paste feature on word for every article with a us made product have you looked under the hood of the big tree it's not a holley and glass packs i can't even find my dist cap. how about relibility my 91 gmc has 359,000 miles it's a light 3/4 305 5 speed most major repair is 1 altn at 175,000 miles never even had a clutch put in we build houses and do construction and was our only pick up for about 5 years. we had the oil changed and i put plugs in once or twice out of guilt but ran the same. It did have a factory oil cooler? didn't know why but it must have helped.

edr454 said:
car and driver?? holy crap next thing you'll tell me is that consumer reports picked a import car unfrecking beilevable. well i bet if you looked at back issues they both picked the yugo as the best new car. Have you sent money to the save the polar bear fund yet --1973 appox 5000 bears this year 25,000 help the poor polar bear. have you heard the save the snowman fund is being started on the radio the poor things are dying needlessly from global warming. As I mentioned in a earlier post I have a back hoe and trailer available for towing by any toy owner. please post a link for goose necks for toys so farmers can get to using these great new trucks. the other day i passed a bunch of toy dump trucks and plow trucks I hope IH is ready to be put out of the dump truck market. car and driver said out dated technology again do they use the paste feature on word for every article with a us made product have you looked under the hood of the big tree it's not a holley and glass packs i can't even find my dist cap. how about relibility my 91 gmc has 359,000 miles it's a light 3/4 305 5 speed most major repair is 1 altn at 175,000 miles never even had a clutch put in we build houses and do construction and was our only pick up for about 5 years. we had the oil changed and i put plugs in once or twice out of guilt but ran the same. It did have a factory oil cooler? didn't know why but it must have helped.

You apparently have a lot more time on your hands than most people.

horkn said:
Everyone will buy what they want to buy. You can't change that, nor can one expect one to change brands. It is a gut feeling thing to most people.

250 lbs is 250 lbs. On the chevy like yours, I bet the 6spd tranny in the tundra is where a lot of that weight is, unless you have an allison tranny. Yotas typically have thinner sheet metal than american cars, but GM fullsizes have been pretty thin since like the 88 model, so that may be a wash. Any manufacturer can rate their vehicle to whatever payload they want, whether it can handle it or not. Ever notice how GM keeps the engine the same, but keeps rating them higher and higher HP to meet of beat the competition? There is no law stating that any MFG has to actually be able to back up hp claims.

Ford F150's do pretty darn well with only 300 hp as far as tow rating, and real world towing comaprisons, despite being the heaviest of all the half ton trucks.
I recall a 5.3 silverado rated at over 300 hp only making like 190 at the wheels. That was a lot more hp either lost in the drivetrain, or just not there. No other brand of full size truck had a 40% driveline loss like the GM.

GM always seems to want to have the best of everything, while using old tech, even Chrysler infuses new tech into their full size trucks.

Here is a little excerpt from a car and driver magazine...
"New issue comparison:

Gm's 6.0 L with fuel management w/ 367 hp @5500 rpm's & 375 lb/ft @ 4300 r's, 4.10:1. vs. tundra dc,ltd,trd,5.7L w/ 6 sp. auto.
Tundra has a wider powerband with 2000 rpm between peaks as opposed to the gm's 1200 rpm spread. Almost double.
With the 6 speed in the tundra it puts 20% more twist to the wheels in 1st gear and the gap widens from there. Gm just can't get the 6 speed in their trucks soon enough. The tundra was 18% quicker in our towing tests, 0-65,45-65, & 20-65mph. Even when towing a 5500 lb trailer with 806 lbs on the bumper, the tundra spun the tires at start. The tundra averaged 15% better fuel efficiency while towing. The gm's v-4 did not engage very often other than at drop throttle. Gm's Epa numbers show 1 mpg better but our exercises didn't agree with that.
They loaded the tundra with over a ton of cement bags & then offloaded half of that into the gmc. Being well over weight limits, the tundra still had travel in the rear leafs! They did like how the gmc handled with the weight due to it's lower center of gravity. However, they said the gmc was noisier in cabin than the tundra. The trd bilstiens proved their worth in this test. They claimed their 4x4,trd,ltd,dc has a payload of only 1180? Don't know where they got those figures. My dc sr5 says it is 1655 lbs.
The tundra's brakes are no less bulletproof than the gmc's, but were used less due to tundras sequential trans braking. They wished it didn't go into 4th while downshifting as 5th was often just right. They think the tundras trac should be toned down a bit. I don't think they knew how to turn it off! with 800 lbs tongue weight added to each truck, they both dropped 4" (4.2 for tundra & 4.0" for gmc) even though the claimed gm's payload was 600 more than the tundra. And the tundra wasn't even on the bumpstops w/ 1800 lbs payload. Once hooked to the trailers, the gmc's comfort immediately went away due to no tow mirrors. The tundra's AT temp guage never moved while the gmc's showed 199 degrees in acceleration tests. It was fairly cool outside though. The trailer tended to drive the back of the tundra & had more effect on the front of the gmc's. Which required more frequent steering corrections on the gmc. Toyota had better directional stability.
After a few hard trips down a bumpy road, the gmc's fuel door popped open several times. They commented on the pricing of the tundra as a bit higher than average but fully competitive. Similarly equipped, the sierra had a $900 higher price tag but the 6 speed auto is not available yet, nor is front side airbags, or brake assist.

Truck trends prediction:
The gmc equipped for family recreation as tested, with a more appealing interior, & greater payload capacity are not enough to overcome the tundra's superior powertrain performance,safety equipment, larger cabin, & better fuel economy in every situation.
The 3rd time is indeed the charm for toyota as the 3rd generation full-size pickup has set the bench mark another notch higher! "

Even with the smaller displacement, the yota did everything better than the silverado 6.0.
I havn't managed a 51 line post yet but I'll keep trying, see you up north

edr454 said:
I havn't managed a 51 line post yet but I'll keep trying, see you up north

Copy and paste took care of most of that work....

I can't believe you actually took the time to count the lines. LOL

Back