2000 SRX summer build

Started Today!!

Well started the summer build today. Finially got a rack from the father-inlaw so I could start. I put about 6 hours into it today. I can say for all thoes that work on snowmobiles all the time :yrules: It is no easy task. For this being my first build I definiatly bit off more than I can chew and I will be working threw every speed bump. First I started by taking apart the engine bay starting W/ the pipes, airbox, the primary and secondary. Next was the drive case and taking apart the parking brake man that was a pain. Next I started dropping the pro action which I found that W/ a rack it is impossible to get it out due to the bars so that took some extra time because I had to drop the whole jack shaft in order to get it out while still on the hoist. I also had a hard time removing the jack shaft on the spedo side, the torx head screws on the berring were all rusted and stripped and I ended up grinding the rivets down and removing the whole housing in order to remove the jack shaft. So here are some pics.

100_0246.jpg

100_0247.jpg

100_0248.jpg

Some things I found there are alot of homemade hardwear put back on this sled that I'm going to replace W OEM parts, my drive chain was extremly loose and will have to check for tolerance, and I can't get the primay off does any one have and suggestions or help they can offer to get it off (took the main bolt out and it wont slide off).

The next step is to take apart the front end and get the shocks mailed out to bruce, and then start removing the engine so I can start cleaning up the engine bay and repace my belly pans.

Had to attach more pics to second post.

do you have a clutch puller for that primary they dont just slide off after removing the bolt. I got an 98sx 600 in the garage right now in a LOT of piece waiting for powdercoater to get parts done. I am also installing different bellypans its a big job just take your time and it will be worth the effort and the pride you will have knowing you built it yourself. Also your in good hand for advice and parts and piece on TY site GOOD LUCK

Last edited:
I do not have a clutch puller. Question where can I get a clutch puller? I have a standared pully puller but I'm worried I will break something.

Ok, I looked on Dennis Kirk there are many different kinds. Which kind works the best and it fits between the bellly pan and the primary. I need your expert advice guys.

You will have to get the yamaha clutch puller. There is one that fits all or nearly all late model yamaha's. There should be a plug you can take out of the belly pan to expose a hole to put the puller through.

just wonderin do you have a service/repair manual ? if not i highly recomend that you obtain one and read it - before you buy any more tools/parts/bling . also a good tool kit goes along way. dont be using cresent wrenches and one size fits all uni-matic war tools .it will only cause undue stress ,constant profanity, and aformentioned war tools to be thrown across the garage .

Go to your dealer and get a OEM puller. They are $36 bucks. I just had to replace mine when i had to cut it down for a clutch issue on my xt. I've heard many bad stories of using aftermarket pullers. And use a impact wrench on it. I've been doing it this way for a long time with no problems. Good luck.

yep good advise super 1 somtimes them primaries can be real easy and somtimes they can be real hard

Wow, thank you very much for the offer. In the future I'll probily be needing this tool multiple times so I'm just going to get one. But thank you again and I appreciate the offer very much!!!!! The people on this site rock. Just as an update next week I'll be tearing into it again and ordering the belly pans so I'll have some more pics by the end of next week.

No problem! Maxdlx did it for me once, so did familyman just paying it forward. I would say 50% of the reason I ride a Yamaha is these sites! I couldn't get this type of tech support or help from any other brands forums LOL

Nice build I want to build a SRX ditchbanger some day as well just no time at the present and my Apex GT SC is keeping me busy :)

More Progress

Well started back into the sled today. The more I tear into it the more I find wrong. My W bar is finished I found 2 complete cracks and found about 4 more stress cracks. Also one of the bump stops missing.
100_0260.jpg

One complete crack
100_0262.jpg

And the other complete crack it is hard to see in this pic.
100_0264.jpg

I found some one locally selling his rear skid out of a 2001 W the pioneer extensions kit already in it. So if the price is right this just may work out.

Back