2000 SRX summer build

Got some more work done. I wish I would of used the aircraft stripper before doing all that sanding. That stuff works excelent and thanks for the tip guys. I cleaned out the engine compartment and finished stripping the tunnel yesterday. So all I have left to do is polish up the tunnel a little before starting re assembly. Here are some pics.

-How would you guys recomend polishing the tunnel for a nice even look that is a natural aluninum finish and not the mirror look.

005.jpg

004.jpg

003.jpg

-Also I need your opinion should I go W/ the sticker or W/O the sticker on the tunnel. I'm leadning twards W/O

001.jpg

002.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, did a search on the wealth of knowledge of tunnel polishing today. This is what I plan on doing but I have a couple of questions to clarify the process. First I plan on sanding W/ 600 to 1000 to 2000, and to finish it off W/ a mothers powerball W/ some rough that is recomended. Any ideas or recomendations let me know thanks.

-First question is can you use an orbital sander or do all sanding strokes have to be in the same direction?

-Second do any of these sanding stages require a wet sanding.

-And finally what type of rough do you recommend

Well went to the local painters supply store and talked to one of the guys and picked up some stuff. Since My last sanding was at 220 he recomended going to 400 then to 800 then to 1000 grit. So I started tonight finished the 400 sanding by the looks of it the 800 sanding is going to give me the finish I was looking for. So next is to match up the rough or rubbing compound to the 800 grit to get into the tight areas with the polishing ball.

005-1.jpg

006.jpg

007-1.jpg

008-1.jpg

009-1.jpg

I ended going W/ sanding W/ 220, 400, 800, Then using a rubbing compound all over everything W/ a powerball than putting aluninum polish on.

Well got some more done. Gota say thanks to Ding for the fast delivery of rivets. I initally orderd 100 from him not realizing I probbly drilled out 150 or so when working on the tunnel. Ok, this is what I've done over the last couple of days. Got all the heat exchangers, tunnel supports, suspension brackets, tunnel protectors, front heat exchanger guards, and my new snow skins all in. I went threw all of the wiring harness to fix any wear threw. Got the viper seat, gas tank, and rear bumper W/ plastic fitted and in. Got the jackshaft W/ new berring and re-surfaced rotor in. Cleaned and installed the oil tank W/ new oil sensor in. I believe that is it for now. I'm waiting for the center belly pan to come in so I can start re-installing all of the belly pans. At the end of the week I'm taking my trailering arms, control rods, and screens in to be powdercoated. At the same time I'm taking my pipes in to be ceramic coated. Here's some pics.

00SRXWHERRY said:
Well got some more done. Gota say thanks to Ding for the fast delivery of rivets. I initally orderd 100 from him not realizing I probbly drilled out 150 or so when working on the tunnel. Ok, this is what I've done over the last couple of days. Got all the heat exchangers, tunnel supports, suspension brackets, tunnel protectors, front heat exchanger guards, and my new snow skins all in. I went threw all of the wiring harness to fix any wear threw. Got the viper seat, gas tank, and rear bumper W/ plastic fitted and in. Got the jackshaft W/ new berring and re-surfaced rotor in. Cleaned and installed the oil tank W/ new oil sensor in. I believe that is it for now. I'm waiting for the center belly pan to come in so I can start re-installing all of the belly pans. At the end of the week I'm taking my trailering arms, control rods, and screens in to be powdercoated. At the same time I'm taking my pipes in to be ceramic coated. Here's some pics.

Pics didnt show, or is it just me! CCC

Gota queston for you guys. I was taking the heat shields off my pipes to get them ready for ceramic coat today. I noticed the insulation was prety much wrecked and wore threw. It looked like it held moisture and actually caused more rust. So do you think after ceramic coating them I need to put the heat shields back on? Or what have you guys done?

T.S.U.Filmz said:
no you don't need shields on I never put mine back on and ran it all last year without them.

So Im curious to know if you know what the heat shields are actually there for since your telling people they dont need them just because you dont run them?

yeah i think the sheilds actually help hold the heat in the pipe, and the exhaust is tuned for the sheilds to be on. i have no dyno proof of wether it would hurt the performance but....

Hmm sounds like a good question mabe I'll post in the srx section. I also tore into the motor today took heads, jugs out, and inspecetd visiually. I will have pics and some questions soon.

Expert please tell me why i would need heat shields when i have ceramic coated pipes? the coating holds the heat in why do i need to put the shields back on. no point for me to cover up that awesome looking coating with the shields.

Ok, got some pics. This engine has 3600 mi. it has heel clicker clutch, rejetted and tubed, and lastly bender can. The last 300mi were W/ all the mods. Everything looks great just a little rich.

-Piston tops let me know what you think
003-3.jpg

002-3.jpg

001-3.jpg

Back