Banshee build

hey ryan ,,,thats a bummer about the motor ...but now when you are done you will know you have a reliable machine ....and a nice 4 mil shee...if this is gonna be anything like the sled build ....it will make great reading keep us posted on progress and pics

Will do. I'll get the sled build back up and running when I get the motor back from Iantomasi. They're fixing the crank and cases for, and............ :)

Got most of the parts back from the powdercoater. The frame stayed there because of a small area that needed to be touched up. This wet black colour is damn shiny. It should look good when all put together.

DSCN2551.jpg

looks good so far valin. are you doing a 4mill long rod crank, or 4mill standard rod crank?

oh, why not just get your original crank rebuilt?

A few more parts to show off.....

A brand new set of V-Force 3's.....

DSCN2563.jpg

Nearly new K&N filters (I still have to get outerwears for them).

DSCN2564.jpg

A chrome clutch cover insert with the nuclear symbol, and an aluminum water pump cover, which I might buff out to a mirror finish. I also ordered a full chain slider and roller kit from Modquad.

DSCN2565.jpg

The only thing that I am still going to order for the build this fall is an aftermarket axle. I am not going to get into the motor this season since I am on strike at work, and need to watch my spending.

Total into the build so far is approx. $1900 Cdn., including the bike.

Parts I still need to get:

-Axle
-4mm stroker crank
-Pistons
-Intakes
-filter outerwears
-Levers
-Nerf Bars ( possibly )
-A-arm skid plates ( possibly )

I picked up the frame today from the powder coater. It's all good. So, I decided to mount the front YZF450 arms.

The lower arms are too wide for the Banshee's mounts, so I had to cut the arms down on each side to narrow them, then I just used washers to space out the inside. The lower arm on the left side has two dents in it, and from that it is a bit bent. I couldn't tell by looking at it, but I am having issues getting it bolted in. No biggie, I just need a bit of help with some muscle. It's too awkward to put pressure and work the bolt in by myself. Anyways, here's some pics of most of the front end on. The shocks won't be here until next week, and I still have to pick up tie rod ends.

DSCN2567.jpg

DSCN2568.jpg

I am not going any further until my stainless bolts arrive.

I also said Fak it, and ordered the 4mm Hotrods longrod stroker crank.

Another thing I decided to do is run a different rear brake master cylinder. I had a Brembo laying around from my Yamaha R1, and since they have the same bolt pattern, I threw it on. I had to steal the threaded shaft out of the Banshee master cylinder to make it work, but it's in, and it looks much better than the origional one.

DSCN2570.jpg

i dont know if you have used all stainless hard ware but, to avoid a head ache down the road use never siez. when stainless is threaded into stainless it does not like to come back apart. u have a 90% chance of either breaking the bolt of pulling out the threades. well thats atleast everything stainless ive had worked on has. also my professor made a point of tellin us about it in the 2 weeks we spent on bolts in one of my classes.

terret725 said:
i dont know if you have used all stainless hard ware but, to avoid a head ache down the road use never siez. when stainless is threaded into stainless it does not like to come back apart. u have a 90% chance of either breaking the bolt of pulling out the threades. well thats atleast everything stainless ive had worked on has. also my professor made a point of tellin us about it in the 2 weeks we spent on bolts in one of my classes.

Thanks Terret. A friend of mine who's a machinist has told me the same thing in the past. He hates working with it and says it's very unforgiving. I'll take your advice and never seize everything that will use a stainless bolt and nut. Everything else that is threaded into steel, I am going to loctite.

modsrx said:
i think you like beer lollll

Just as long as it's Bud Light (or BL Lime) I'm very weak when it comes to Bud Light :)

Argh! Now i'm pissed! I've been trying to find out where my stainless steel bolt kit is, and it turns out the guy didn't even send me the bolt kit. He wouldn't respond to my emails, so I finally put in a paypal dispute, and magically, he refunded my money. What an azz! That was nearly 2 weeks of waiting for nothing! His ebay username is ssracing8, and he deserves a beating. Now I have to find another kit, and wait a few weeks for it. This sux.

Still waiting for the bolk kit, so I can't go too far on the build, but everything is pretty well ready for re-assembly.

I had the cases and kick start lever powder coated black, and I rebuilt the kicker. And................the Hotrods longrod 4mm Stroker crankshaft arrived :)

DSCN2596.jpg

I installed the Elka Duner triple rate shocks, and the streering post with all new bearings and seals.

DSCN2594.jpg

And the billet exhaust clamps to join the pipe together.....at the moment I'm not sure these are going to work....they seem a bit loose.

DSCN2598.jpg

I've done a bit more progress. Not having this bolt kit is killing me...... anyways, I've installed as much as I can for now.

Threw on the swinger. I also threw on the shock, but I am waiting for bolts, so the shock is just in there loose. I am also going to get a shock cover for it, since I don't like the yellow on this project. I also took the entire wiring harness apart, removed the key switch, and covered it all in wire loom to keep it very neat.

DSCN2599.jpg

Threw on the rad and tank (just test fitted). Damn it looks dirty in this picture, but it looks perfectly black when you look at it, from any angle. I find this very strange..... I also threw on the billet pipe hangers.

DSCN2600.jpg

The motor is nearly ready to have the cases put together. I am going to drill and tap in a pulse line fitting into the top case 1/2, just in case I want to run a pulse fuel pump later down the road, or in case the SRX carbs don't like being gravity fed. I'll have the cases together tomorrow night.

DSCN2601.jpg

Last edited:
Hey valin,

Great work that your doing in the build. It will be exiting to see what she looks like when it's all completed. What are you doing with all the plastics on the machine? Are you going new with a stock look or a aftermarket kit?

Back