There's gotta be more vintage enthusiasts out there!

S

srx_eh

We need more TY vintage content, ...surely there must be more vintage Yamaha owners out there. I'm answering most of my own posts and damned if I can find any parts. Most of the vintage sites that I've found are too mixed between brands, ...sure would be nice to see a healthy Yamaha only vintage source.
...also,
Looking for front and rear bumpers for early to mid 70's YAMMI'S, ...clean no dings. :WayCool:

My dad owns 11, does that count!

1973 sr 643 (pure racer)
1975 gpx 338
1976 srx 440
1976 exciter 440
1977 srx 440
1977 exciter 440
1978 srx 440
1979 srx 440
he also has 3 1981 srx's (440)

However, we do not ride any of these, they are all for show.

the sleds that we ride are also listed below.

1992 exciter 570 ( basically a back up sled or a guest sled)
1995 v-max 600 (back up sled aswell)
1995 v-max 800
1997 v-max sx 700
1998 srx 600
2000 srx 700
2002 sx viper
2003 rx1
2005 rs vector

If you want I can take a couple pictures of some of the vintages if you want.

LOL and you thought you were the only vintage fanatic. LOL

2K,
Would like to see the rest of your vintage stable, ...that SRX440 was pretty darn impressive. I just recently picked up an old GP292 for my young lad and I'm hooked, these older sleds have a mechanical simplicity to them and a lot of character.

Attachments

• 292_1.jpg
    292_1.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 40
I tried to get some pictures on the website last night but it was not working.
Here is the only other vintage sled I have stored on my camara. It is the 76 exciter that I listed before, This sled is just as mint as the srx you saw. here it is.

Attachments

• PA151211.JPG
    PA151211.JPG
    462 KB · Views: 47
Vintage

I agree. I would love to hear more chatter about the old classics. I have a 78 Exciter that my son and I are working on, and my nephew has a 79 Exciter that he is also doing mod work to. I will send some pics soon

1980 440 Srx

;)! i have 2 of these rice burners complete restore this winter these r hard to find in good shape also a friend has a 1970's GPX 433f ready to ride.but always looking for more of them ;)!

i'll have to take a picture of our sr 643! That is one of the fastest sleds I have ever scene. It will take any of the new sleds and I mean every in a 1/4 race. It is completly modified and used to be raced, I will keep you updated.

Here are some other pictures of some sleds. I will try to make this like the trivia for some fun but this will not be difficult and there is no prize, just for fun. I did not take a picture of all of the vintage sleds because they are in all different places. Here we go.

In all of the pictures, give me the name of the sled, the year, and the displacement of the engine.

Question 1. In the first picture, what is the name, year and displacement of the sled to the left in the picture.

Question 2. The that same first picture give me the name, year, and displacement for the sled to the right.

Question 3. In the second picture, I know the sled is very dirty and not in operating condition yet but give me the name, year, and displacement.

Question 4. In the third picture, the sled all ready has the the name and displacement but what is the year on it?

Question 5. This is more of a find waldo type of question but in the last picture, how many sleds do you see in our shop? Also if you can, In the last picture on the very bottom, guess the year and the model of that arctic cat?

Let make this a fun experience! and I will have more of these coming soon depending on how this goes however, there is no prize.

Attachments

• P1011421.JPG
    P1011421.JPG
    480.2 KB · Views: 18
  • P1011422.JPG
    P1011422.JPG
    472 KB · Views: 24
  • P1011423.JPG
    P1011423.JPG
    447 KB · Views: 14
  • P1011425.JPG
    P1011425.JPG
    610.7 KB · Views: 22
Here's my vintage. Heck it's my only ride right now! I have intentions of picking up a Viper and reserving her for backup/show status. Everyone should start out on old iron, especially something as finicky as an 81' SRX. It makes you appreciate the new stuff that much more!

DSC02192.jpg

DSC02205.jpg

Yes...i am a real vintage fanatic!

U have really good looking -81 srx,congratulations. Did you have to make lot of rebuilding to that sled?

Ihave two vintage sleds myself, both -84 Vmax 540 and Srv 540. Srv is totally rebuilt and vmax is just made to riding condition and its waiting for time and money to look as new.

Srv is bored to 551 cm3 and it has wiseco pistons with lower cyl heads and now 3 öhlins shocks. In good conditions it breaks 160 km/h.(100mph)

I will put pics of my oldies here to vintage forum next week.

ike

Ike: Thanks for the compliments on the 81'. I really haven't done much to it yet other than clean it up a little. It was just sort of neglected, but not completely abused. I've gone over the carbs, installed the proper belt/plugs, installed the airbox which was missing and re painted the skis and pipes. It still needs a lot of detail work to be showable, but it looks a lot better than most. I really need an original black windshield! I got luckey and found a solid runner that had most of the updates completed and didn't have any engine components swapped out. (many of these sleds will have had carb swaps and even engine swaps) It starts and runs nicely as long as the temperature is right for the given jetting. These 81's have a very fine tolerance for air/fuel and tend to need rejetted all too frequently. If ever there was an ideal application for "dial a jets" this would be it. It's a fairly light sled and makes about 88hp at 9000-9200 rpm. In there day a good runner could turn about 100-105 mph, if you could keep it together!

If it makes it through the winter in one piece I may tear it down next summer and go over the suspension, steering and maybe even the top end.

Thanks 2000SRX. It still needs some extras to be as nice as I would like. To my best knowledge the 77 SRX was actually the highest hp out of the 440's at approx. 98 hp. The later years were all de-tuned a bit, although IMO the 81' was the best looker and no doubt had the most capable suspension of the early SRX's.

Now I just need a modern stablemate to go with it! I'm feelin' like a Viper or Viper S. Can you give me any good info on em? You guys have a Yamaha shop correct?

Hey
What about -82 srx 500 hp? My friend has raced that sled too an he told it was fastest srx ever. This guy is Yamaha dealers mechanic and he has still engine and pipes for that sled. Portinng in that engine is intresting holes are really big i mean big.

ike

I don't recall ever seeing any numbers on the 500. I'm not sure what it was rated at, but you are correct, the ports in that motor are said to be huge. I've been told you can run your fingers right through the transfers. A rare machine none the less!

Pics of SRX500 engine

I went and got some pics of that 500 engine. Ports are big ! :ORC
This engine is soon to be sold to USA to one collector. The guy who owns it, said that it did produce 110 hp just over 9000 rpm. Very difficult to tune and even more difficult to ride : useable rpm`s were really high and it has high peak.

He also owns two cylinders what have seen some mild porting ( see pics )

Attachments

• 2nd500_cyl_side_499cm3_1.JPG
    2nd500_cyl_side_499cm3_1.JPG
    5.1 KB · Views: 184
  • 500_carb_side_1.JPG
    500_carb_side_1.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 186
  • 2nd500_exhaust_both_1.JPG
    2nd500_exhaust_both_1.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 186

Back