There's gotta be more vintage enthusiasts out there!

Thanks for the fun; I have rather fond memories of that model sled.

My uncle owned one of those 440 twin plugged El Tigre’s way back in the day. My father took me for a ride on that sled; actually, I can remember like it was yesterday. That sled seemed lighting fast compared to the 340 Panther I was learning on.

Man, those were good times…

Brian

Hey Guys, Im getting into vintage sleds big time, I actually Emailed Mr Sled (administrator) to add this section, I use other forums and figured it would be better to have everything under the one forum if possible, sometimes i still visit the other sites though too.
My list of old sleds

1977 STX340
1980 SRX440
1980 Enticer 340 Long track
1981 Enticer 340 Long track
Two 1983 Enticer 340 Long track

Working on a 1978 SSR440 (working the priice out)

Attachments

• DSC00731.JPG
    DSC00731.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 13
  • SRX3.jpg
    SRX3.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 14
  • P2200013.JPG
    P2200013.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 16
  • sP8010001.JPG
    sP8010001.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Thanks, My SRX is under major restoration, that above pic is the day i bought it, not bad but............ I have a set of 42mm TMX slide carbs, Aaen full race pipes and race porting/head cut and reshaped for 25HP gain (so aaen says) for a total of 105HP and I have shaved over 50 pounds off the sled so far, for a good HP to weight ratio close the the 77 SRX which was the lightest and fastest of the old SRX's. Can't wait to race it this year.....

MountainMax said:
Hey Guys, Im getting into vintage sleds big time, I actually Emailed Mr Sled (administrator) to add this section, I use other forums and figured it would be better to have everything under the one forum if possible, sometimes i still visit the other sites though too.

I've been to the other sites as well and I get very little information on Yamaha's, ...I do get the odd bashing from the other 3 though, seems Yamaha is a bit of a pariah, but I chalk that up to jealousy. I think we have an opportunity to develope a good cache of technical info. on some of these great old school sleds at this site.

Let's save these great soldiers from the scrap heap! :yam:

I have found 1976 and 1977 SRX440 race technical manuals from yamaha, they have good info in them, also have the 1980 Repair manual, good info to have, and the online parts finder is awesome, I printed off all the pictures for exploded diagrams, worth their weight in gold when reassembling some parts. But you are right, Yamaha was never that big in racing, the vintage Bombardiers actually had the most HP and the old Mercs ruled the Oval tracks but hey, us Yamaha lovers will never let the old sleds die.........

Isn't that online parts finder great though, ...I've dog eared that sucker and my hat is off to Yamaha for supporting all there sleds from day one.

Well most of the vintage sleds are there, there are no 1978 SSR440 listed, and 1982 SRX440, and a few other rare rockets, but yeah, it's awesome to find most pics and part numbers and email the dealer to put in your order, whatever year yammy you have, it's great.

vintage racer here

hello everone. newbie here
I am into the vintage one lunger racing. Currently running a 1971 gp292 full mod; and a 1972 gp292 stocker.
The stable also consists of:
'2001 Polairs 600 edge x (yea, i know!)
1978 Enticer 250
1976 Prestige 440 (642 original miles)
1976 GS300
1975 EX433
1974 GP433
1974 SM292
Later everyone!!!!

Welcome aboard Monty, ...tell me more about "one lunger" racing, ...I picked up a clean GP292B and very interested in racing this thing. I understand "one lunger racing" is taking on a life of it's own, and Yamaha is right at the top.

sr292

srx eh...... you and me both want the little sr292. My full mod '71 gp292 is competive against a couple that I have ran against. Well atleast till we hit the turns!!!!
I have been trying to buy a '73 sr292 from a guy down the road from me for the past 2 years with out any luck. Damn thing just sits in his shed!!!!!
later
monty

2ooosrx said:
nice 1980 SRX 440. That is the only SRX we are missing out of the group. Those srx's were the fastest things back in the day.

the earlier models were faster than the 80. the 80 was terribly heavy and detuned from previous years, i had one. still that is one beautiful machine. ;)!

1973 Gp 643 B

Can anyone tell me the difference between the 73 GP 643 B and the SR 643? Is one faster then the other? I having a little problem with my GP 643 B. It only has 464 miles on it and will not stat running without dropping some gas in the carbs. There is a little gas leak when I prime it, in one of the gas line ends. Will this cause it not to stay running? The recoil also takes a couple of yanks to get it to go back in, when pulling it. I would like to get it running before I sell it, now. I know the carbs have never been cleaned! I know, shame on me. I just bought it last year and I didn't really have any time to mess around with it, yet. Hope someone can help me out.
Doug

PS - I am not that great with working on mechanical things, without a little help.

Gp643/sr643

Vrod

these are very different sleds. GP643 fan cooled "trail" sled, while the SR643 is a free air racer and a different chassis.
hope this helps
monty

Back