Viper stator testing

ymha700

I have cleaned carbs 7 times, checked and replaced all my reeds, got my power valves cleaned and redone by Rich, and put it all back together and still the same issues of spitting and backfiring when i get on the thottle, next is checking the stator, i have searched and can not seem to find out how any help would be great

Un plug the stator main plug and test the ohms reading at temp 70 deg at the two white white wires should be 0.36-0.44 @ 70deg.

also can check for voltage hook leads up and pull engine over should have voltage 5-10 volts wont be much obviously because your not spinning it fast.

the link yamer posted if for a different sled don't use that one.

daman said:
Un plug the stator main plug and test the ohms reading at temp 70 deg at the two white white wires should be 0.36-0.44 @ 70deg.

also can check for voltage hook leads up and pull engine over should have voltage 5-10 volts wont be much obviously because your not spinning it fast.

Thanks for the info, i have 4 white wires on one plug, and 2 white wires with colored tracers on another plug coming from the stator, which ones do i test? and outside temp is about 35deg.

ymha700 said:
Yes white red and white green
Ok DO NOT test them, thos are not the ones you want,those are for the pick up coil, test the WW ones.

and yes temp does matter,put a heat source down blowing on the stator for hour or so,it needs to be at temp.

daman said:
Ok DO NOT test them, thos are not the ones you want,those are for the pick up coil, test the WW ones.

and yes temp does matter,put a heat source down blowing on the stator for hour or so,it needs to be at temp.

ok, the 4 prong plug has 4 white wires, howm do i know what 2 white wires to test? The machine is missing under load, do you think it has to do with the stator? or maybe do you know how to test the coils? plugs look really good, almost lean. Thanks again for your help

ymha700 said:
ok, the 4 prong plug has 4 white wires, howm do i know what 2 white wires to test? The machine is missing under load, do you think it has to do with the stator? or maybe do you know how to test the coils? plugs look really good, almost lean. Thanks again for your help

Just looked again, sorry its a 3 prong all white wires

ymha700 said:
my manual shows 2 plugs,,smaller one with 2 wires(,pick up coil,white red and white green)and bigger one with 3 wires white.

confirm??

Not bashing, but
daman said:
The link in post #10 goes to the triple 300W system which is correct for a the Viper.
daman said:
Un plug the stator main plug and test the ohms reading at temp 70 deg at the two white white wires should be 0.36-0.44 @ 70deg..
Thought it was 0.36~0.80

Last edited:
daman said:
Ok from what i gather(manual) it wont make a diff what white wires you check,try a combination.
Exactly, you need to actually try 1&2, 2&3, 3&1 to complete the test.

YamerDown said:
Not bashing, but
The link in post #10 goes to the triple 300W system which is correct for a the Viper.
Thought it was 0.36~0.80
My bad yamer i thought you were talking about chiefs post,sorry,my manual shows what i stated above for stator.

YamerDown said:
Exactly, you need to actually try 1&2, 2&3, 3&1 to complete the test.
Yea Yamer i tried figuring out by that diagram that was on your post but got confused because it does not show a plug with all white wires

I just rechecked my man, even checked my supplementary updated new data,both mans thats what it states, so dunno.

yours dont state at what temp either?

Last edited:
Just cheked dates adanst yamers his is 2006 mine is 2003 so dunno if info was further updated again,hmmmm, i would say yamers

just got the sled back home, was at my cousins working on it outside. Going to heat it up and try testing it in the morning. Im having no electrical issues, with the lights or anything, its just not running at its full potential. I have checked and replaced everything else but the coils and the stator. Could it be the stator that is causing the sled to run like crap?

Well see thats what were trying to help you find out,check that out and thats one less thig it "could be", witch it could be. :)

you asked for help checking stator thats what were doing, not a jetting issue is it?

Back