Viper stator testing

I tested the stator yesterday and it read no higher than 6v on all 3 white wires while running at 1500rpm and 3000 rpm's. I removed it and the top if the stator is covered in rust. Does anybody think i could clean it up instead of paying $200 plus for a new one? All the other stator issues i have read about people were having electrical issues with the lights and hand/thumb warmers, which i am not having......grrrrrr

captnviper said:
did you clean the rust? Any luck?
No i am still searching for a new one, I pulled it out and re tested it and am getting no more than 0.05 ohms on the test and it should be .36-.80. I just came back from looking at a used one that a local guy is parting out and its oulling the same #'s as mine. I might just have to break down and purchase a new one......

Check with Betheviper, he has had good used ones available in the past. A new one comes (as a unit) with the pick up coil, and costs about $200 if I remember correctly.

ymha700 said:
I tested the stator yesterday and it read no higher than 6v on all 3 white wires while running at 1500rpm and 3000 rpm's. I removed it and the top if the stator is covered in rust. Does anybody think i could clean it up instead of paying $200 plus for a new one? All the other stator issues i have read about people were having electrical issues with the lights and hand/thumb warmers, which i am not having......grrrrrr
That was wire to wire or wire to frame? Way too low anyway she is done.

Ok i took my stator assy. up to a local auto electric place that i know and he said if the stator was bad that i would have electrical probloms, he said the pick up coil to check. So i took it to a local yamaha dealer and they tested it and said the stator tested good, but they noticed a little rub thru on the pick up wires, which i did not think it was major enough to cause any issues, so i guess i am going to tape the rub thru up and reinstall and hope this works!!!

So sled is finally fixed!!!!! i taped up the what i thought was a minor run thru and put it back together. Took it to a field nearby with alittle snow and she rips again, just the tors was kicking in, i think i had the throttle cable to tight so loosened it up and will know next weekend if its still an issue, thanks for everybody's help!!!!!

daman said:
just to clear the water your pick up coil had a rub through?
yes the 2 wires (white w/red tracer and white w/green tracer) that go to the pickup coil had rub thru's on both the wires. I over looked them did not think they would cause and issue, but they sure did

ymha700 said:
yes the 2 wires (white w/red tracer and white w/green tracer) that go to the pickup coil had rub thru's on both the wires. I over looked them did not think they would cause and issue, but they sure did
thanks

Back