97 500 XT to 600 Triple

Here's what mine looks like now, it's a bit thinner than yours at the edges and I guess that's all it took.

IMG_5152.jpg

the 500 had around 15,000 km on it when it blew. That shell station is in sundridge a little ways off the Top D trail I believe.

A couple of bucks said:
How in the hoot did it break. Was it cut too close to the edge? Just finished mine up tonight. Now ya got me worried.
Turk was outspoken about not doing the notch for the very reason shown.He told me to do the spacers only with stock reeds and no boost bottle, I asked him about that and received a strong reaction to the idea so I listened to him and didn't do the boost bottle.

SWEDE said:
Turk was outspoken about not doing the notch for the very reason shown.

After much worrying about the stop....vibrating until failure occures, I decided to sh!t can the stops in my previous picture. Went up to Byron to my Yamaha dealer and got three used stops. Recut them to a safe distance away from any factory cut edge on it. I realize that it will not produce the same results as a FULLY modified stop. But I would rather be safe than..........well........walking.

Attachments

• reed cage re-do.jpg
    reed cage re-do.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 15
Those new stops look nice and strong, shouldn't fail on you. That track went in last year with the 600 triple, the 500 was blown up then.

Taking another look at that picture you can see what appears to be red LOCTITE @ each screw. When I put the fresh reeds in, the manufacturer stated that LOCTITE didn't need to be used but if you really felt the need to use some, apply sparingly.
Well I'm all out of regular 'ol blue LOCTITE , so I used the next best thing. Some of my daughters nail polish. Actually works really well w/ that brush on it. She walked through the kitchen when I was putting them together. The following came out of her pie hole.
'Dad.........yer wierd'.

That looks good, better be safe than sorry. I wouldn't want a screw or something flying through the engine.

Update:
The xt is pretty much completed, got it fired up last night and it runs great. Still need to do some fine tuning and setup the suspension, I will get some pics up tonight.

snoprokidf6 said:
how's the srx coming? haven't seen any new posts on that in a while lol
Lol, the srx has been sitting for a while. I was waiting on my cylinders to return from us chrome which did so a while ago but I have been occupied by the xt project. The XT is being entered in a show this coming weekend so it needed to be completed for that. The srx will be worked on after this weekend, just need to reassemble the engine, drop it in the frame, connect everything and do some fine tuning with the suspension.

A couple of bucks said:
What brand of reeds are those? And is that what's left of that stop.....that chunk of sh!t underneath the cage?
And yes that chunk is what's left. It actually got shoved back through the reeds and was sitting in the intake.

Back