Front Viper Shocks on an SRX

WOW!! that jacks up the front. Does it seem to be tippy now? the only thing I was thinking is it may ride stiffer because of the angle of the shock, its steeper with the short radius rods, but that may be able to be simply tuned out with spring preload. madd dog could you give some information on handling after and ride? thanx a lot for the pics, they were exactly what I was looking for.

Ride is great. We just adjusted the fronts to alittle softer settings. Does not feel tippy at all. It really feels about the same, just has better travel. Big bump performance is much better. It make a stock srx look like the shocks are gone. The only thing we may do is install the longer radius rods some time this winter just to ease the stress off from the srx ones. When its in the air the steering almost binds alittle, but on the ground its great. I'd suggest this to any and everyone.

what about the bulk head from a viper? do you need to replace the bulk head from my srx? or do i just bolt right in. is the spacer the part between where the shock is mounted? and is the nylon washer flat on both sides of the shock mount, or is the nylon under the spacer or (through the spacer). and did you have to lengthen the radios rods a bit?

No bulk head replacement. The nylon washers are flat and located between the spacer, shock mounts, and the shocks them selves.

thanks! did you have to do the same to the bottom of the shock that mounts to trailing arm? also radios rods just move untill the skis sit flat?

Nope, bottom of the shock bolts right in. You do have to reset the camber and realign the ski's. Pretty easy to do.

that is a 4" difference in mount location, that cant be good. could you throw an angle guage on the front of the spindle, wondering what your caster is now, looks like only a couple deg.

I guess you have lost me there. Yamaha calls for -.50 to +.50 Degree caster. As per the tuning manual. This SRX is right in line with these numbers.

I think I get you. You are talking about the angle measured off the front of the spindle. Looks to be between 19 and 20 degrees. Seems to be fine to me. A stocker is in the same area.

Yes I am also very interested in this what is the height of your front bumper to the top, please!!!!! This would work great for me I have a 42 " front end on now I assume that would help and viper trailing arms!! On a 2001 srx, I was going to change the front bracket and buy that from betheviper but I have two tons of shit under the hood with that 1359cc motor and huge pipes this would be a ton less work, thanks!!

We are also toying with the idea of Viper trailing arms. I believe that the distance from the bottom of the arm to the bottom of the spindle is longer than a srx's. As for the height the front bumper sits 20" off the ground to the top of the bumper.

im going to do this on sunday but i think for the spacers im going to grind off the top of the old shock towers for my spacer because they have a rubber spacer inside the the top of the old shock , and im going to use the nylon washers. maybe it will cut down on the stress in the front end. anything else i should do that you think would be better thanks

Thts an interesting thought. The only problem I see with this idea would be the distance between the mounting points may need to be adjusted.

I started the front end shock change today. I have a couple of questions. What did you do with the sway bar? I have ground away my skid plate to get the suspension to hang down and I still have a inch or more to lower trailing arm to get the shock to bolt up, not sure if its a good idea to compress shock when its hanging down like that. It also looks like I could bolt the swaybar directly to the trailing arm without any link, Good idea or not??? I think I am going to go and have a beer and wait to see how you reply before I pull out what little hair I have left. :o|

Well after a beer ;):D I took a look again and decided to hook up the shocks by compressing, went in fine. After shocks were in sway bar doesn't look even close to bolting up to the trailing arm which I got to looking at and decided it wouldn't be a good thing to do anyway as there would be no flex point when the trailing arm is moving up and down. Does anyone know if there is a link available to still utilize the sway bar. Will longer radius rods allow me to hook the sway bar back up with the standard links. If I replace the radius rods do I use viper rods or what model works the best. Thanks for any help you can give.

viper rods or sx rods any thing with longer shocks same goes with the sway bar link.the tie rod bars are longer as well.i went out and put viper shocks on the wifes srx today after reading maddogs posts and thank him for the ideas.i went a different route and bent the shocks hanger ears to fit in between the hangers on the sled i found the bushing in a side idler wheel the right size to slide between the ears.thats the steel bushing that goes in the plastic hubs on yamy wheels.perfict fit mcgiver or wat?there is not any nylon bushings like maddogs but seems to swing in the cradle freely and should not wereout because of the amount of metal swinging.i think time well tell remember wifes sled.ha ha will set camber after setting prper ride height.

guys, if you must run your front shocks this way at least adjust the ski preasure front to rear with your spindle rubber. doing this to your sled increases your front ski preasure tremendously and will make sled dart and where the front of your carbide out.

No darting or uneven wear so far on Kickstands sled. Actually we had to increase the ski pressure because there wasn't enough. The sled pushed like a mother. If you set the toe and camber properly you should not have to do any extra.

sled was not sitting flat after putting viper skid in rear the front shocks leveled it up nicely but will keep that in mind betheviper i think if you were not going to lift the front the rubber would havemaking my to be ground to let skis sit flat nice hooters.bye the way

Back