MY 98 700sx rebuild...

finally the rear suspension...

What do you guys think about this? As far as how it's sitting...

And also a word of advice... If you have the front belly pan panels off and take out the lower bracket that the bumper supports bolt to, make sure you re-attach it to the front belly pan piece before you rivet everything back together. I had to take it all back apart after trying several things to get that bracket to go back in (WHAT A PITA!!!), :o| it threads through the plastic on the inside and the rest of it is on the side where the radius rods attach...

Attachments

• HPIM1942.jpg
    HPIM1942.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 10
  • HPIM1944.jpg
    HPIM1944.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 12
  • HPIM1946.jpg
    HPIM1946.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 10
  • HPIM1947.jpg
    HPIM1947.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 8
  • HPIM1952.jpg
    HPIM1952.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Houston we have a problem...

I took these so you can see what I'm talking about. Anybody know what I'm doing wrong let me know please. Now that the skid is in, and I sit on it, it moves down, but only until the rear arm hits the back stop. then it stops and nothing moves at all. I've noticed that the rear shocks bottom mount seems like it should pivot up or forward, but it doesn't See how the pivot is sitting? Also when I install to the C to C measurements I got, the limiter straps have a bunch of slack in them. Now earlier I tried mounting the skid to holes in the rear mount that were 1 1/2" forward. I got that measurement from measuring the skid out of the sled just sitting there. Mounted that way the skid didn't move at all. (The reason I did this was because someone that has been helping me said that was what to do.) I'm stumped... please help!!

The sled is going to look great. I really like the use of the Viper seat. What cross over cooler are you going to use? Al

alswagg said:
The sled is going to look great. I really like the use of the Viper seat. What cross over cooler are you going to use? Al

I thought about using the srx cooler, but decided to use the one from the sled and have the tubes turned so that the cooler sits up in the tunnel instead of across the back. I had a welder cut & reweld the tubes. Here are a couple pictures.

Attachments

• 12172010226.jpg
    12172010226.jpg
    290.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 12172010225.jpg
    12172010225.jpg
    289 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Should have

You should have had the welder cut off the coolant bleeder bung & weld the hole shut....then he could have welded it in the proper place for the hole in the tunnel extension. But you'll still get it bled fine with that hole....just wont be as handy. I'm just mentioning it because those are some fine looking aluminum welds and I'm sure the guy could have done it for you pretty quickly.

Madmatt

I almost had the welder do that, but for whatever reason I just decided to leave it where it was and put small hole in the back of the extension to make bleeding a little easier. Today the track & skid are installed and the motor is in place, I just need to hook all the hoses and put the exhaust and the chaincase together, before I can fire it up.

Attachments

• HPIM1991.jpg
    HPIM1991.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 11
  • HPIM1993.jpg
    HPIM1993.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 8
  • HPIM1995.jpg
    HPIM1995.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Alrighty now, here are the pipes. everything is done but the carbs, I need to clean and rejet them before I go any further. If I like everything I'll be getting things powdercoated after the season is done.

BTW, the guy told me they are Bender pipes, but they don't look like Benders to me, does anybody have a guess? I took the main jets out of his carbs and they were 145s. His sled was a '97 700sx and he said he bought it when it was a year old and the pipes were already on it.

Attachments

• HPIM1996.jpg
    HPIM1996.jpg
    399.7 KB · Views: 7
  • HPIM1997.jpg
    HPIM1997.jpg
    470.7 KB · Views: 9
That curly mag pipe looks like a set of cpr's that we had. Might me hauck too as they were basically the same pipes.

You finally figured out that suspension:) That's cool.

Yea, the suspension is pretty stiff though, looks like I'll be looking for some aftermarket shocks on ebay. But I'm eager to hit the snow and see how it runs. Hopefully I'll have sometime before this weekend to take it out and do some testing.

P.S. I checked out the Simmons CPR website and they look just like that. Thanks.

Last edited:
PhatboyC said:
Sounds good!

Good...?

I think it sounds like a raped ape...... ;)! Can't wait to hear it in person, maybe even try to smash it into a tree or rock....lol

Nick

Thanks for the jets today Nick, I'll get the pilots I ordered tomorrow and have it ready to go for ride this weekend. Not sure if you get ride it though... you have a record, you know... LOL!!! ...Maybe out on the lake where there are no trees.

looking great, nice work. I am jealous of you having the place and ability to totally tear it down that way. I have neither lol! and yes, that sounds MEAN

Back