First sled purchase NIGHTMARE (from back-on-blue) the saga continues!!!!!!

thstorms

As some of you well know I baught my first sled last year from the now infamous back-on-blue..... well, it didn't turn out so good for me!!!

http://www.totallyamaha.net/forums/showthread.php?t=68278&highlight=weld

In an effort to midigate further unknown dammage...... and install a new track. I dropped the skid, removed the chaincase, and the speedo assy and housing.

Little to my surprise I found a few things wrong!!! when he removed the Ohlins rear shocks, he must have "forgot" all the shock bushings...... a bolt in the rear shock support, all the washers/shim between the rear axle and the skid rails....... Etc..... Etc.......

I have a new theory!!! this sled was in a really bad accident, the left side was all messed up and the sled was driven after the accident........ Back-on-Blue baught it from whitestar auction in Bronson MI, partially pieced it back together just enough to be rideable and sold it to the first unsuspecting sucker..... that would be me!!! :o| :o| :o|

so the carnage continues!!!

any advice on how to fix the tunnel dammage would be awesome!!!

IMG_1878.jpg

I think that hole is supposed to be round......

IMG_1871.jpg

IMG_1872.jpg

That is the end of the upper W-Arm shaft..... looks kinda funny to me!!!!!

IMG_18772.jpg

this is what happens if you keep driving after the speedo end of the axle comes appart!!!

IMG_1867.jpg

IMG_1868-1.jpg

that part is supposed to surround and contain the bearing!!!

IMG_1873.jpg

IMG_1874.jpg

is this the right screw for the hyfax??? I didnt think the threads should show through the rails like that!!!

W arm shaft lools normal as does the Warm tube. The threads showing through the side of the slide is normal. Us a torch to warm up the side of the rail before removing the screw. You need a No. 3 scredriver bit for it.

Read the article below to explain how to fix some of the issues with tha skid since you have it appart already.

looks to me like alot of normal wear from lack of maintenance than anything. i replace those bushings every season and they most of the time already show signs of wear. like betheviper said alot of it all looks normal, correct srcew, all my rails look like the threads show. i would never consider bushings or bearings anything other than a maintenance issue or lack there of.

BETHEVIPER said:
W arm shaft lools normal as does the Warm tube. The threads showing through the side of the slide is normal. Us a torch to warm up the side of the rail before removing the screw. You need a No. 3 scredriver bit for it.

Read the article below to explain how to fix some of the issues with tha skid since you have it appart already.

I plan to make all aluminum bushings for anywhere there is play!!!

please look at the rest of the pics of the w-arm shaft now that I have the skid tore down all the way.... the end of the shaft is broke off, its also flared and tapered at both ends like it was bend and just wore untrue!!!

your "tighten up yours" pages are the whole reason I started going through my skid!!! great read THANK YOU!!!

I just decided to replace the track while I was at it!!!

blk04700 said:
looks to me like alot of normal wear from lack of maintenance than anything. i replace those bushings every season and they most of the time already show signs of wear. like betheviper said alot of it all looks normal, correct srcew, all my rails look like the threads show. i would never consider bushings or bearings anything other than a maintenance issue or lack there of.

I would consider it normal wear if the bushings were there at all!!! LOL

I have some better close-ups please take a look, I appreciate your help!!!

......by the way did you get those cases welded up and and your spare bullet built???

this is the end of the W-Arm shaft.....

IMG_1882.jpg

I dont know if it will show up but the shaft has a real bad taper... then it mushrooms out at the very tip.....

IMG_1881.jpg

IMG_1879.jpg

he used little pieces of sand paper for bushings!!! didn't work so hot....

IMG_1886.jpg

IMG_1887.jpg

here are a couple of pics of the shaft and how it sits in the W-Arm....

IMG_1884.jpg

IMG_1883.jpg

The shaft has a LOT of play!!!

If you look close, the female thread that are showing actually protrude past the end of the shaft. The shaft is broke off and that little piece with two little threads is all thats left of the very end of the shaft!!!

IMG_1871.jpg

I did find some normal wear!!! I would even go as far as saying I was pleased to find these bushings!!!

IMG_1889.jpg

IMG_1890.jpg

from what I've read this is normal....LOL

IMG_1885.jpg

Does anyone have a pic of a W-Arm that has been reinforced???

Where it needs to be welded??? .....other than the obvious!!!

yeah thats a pretty nice deal you got NOT!... but i have seen threads on the rail like that before... it comes from the hole not being drilled perfectly centered from the factory...

#12 and #14 are the reason the W-Arm shaft is destroyed.... and #18 is what is completely missing on the lower W-Arm mounts!!!

18122_tracksuspension2.gif

tyler440 said:
yeah thats a pretty nice deal you got NOT!... but i have seen threads on the rail like that before... it comes from the hole not being drilled perfectly centered from the factory...

yeah for sure..... that was the least of my worries!!! I figure if the hyfax stay put....... its good enough for this sled!!!!

All the bushings that are completely missing, thats a problem!!!

just think that sled will be better than new when your all done with the suspansion. i feel your frustration with this sled but it should be better than new after this suspension rebuild. i think this is probably the first time that skid has been outta the sled. im not siding with the seller at all as we all know he's a D-BAG but i used to be a turn the key and ride like i stole it type of guy, and this is what my skid looked like when i took it out after 5 years of riding and honestly never even greased it once. whatever wasnt totally worn out was missing and i know someone didnt leave them out cause i bought my sled new. shyt gets beat to death and disinegrates to nothing without grease and maintenance. again im not siding with the guy that sold it to you but just looks like alot of neglected rode hard suspension pieces. hopefully you get it back together and thats the end of your probelms.

man o man..your bad luck continues.But sandpaper as bushings takes the cake.Some people are just pure azz's and the guy has a mental problem to.

thstorms said:

see that stuff that looks like grey mud around the top and bottom of your bracket (which i would just grind off and pop rivet a new one on) , that is most likely your missing bushings and washers..... (lol) and the whole reason i now go thru my sleds top to bottom every fall.

blk04700 said:
just think that sled will be better than new when your all done with the suspansion. i feel your frustration with this sled but it should be better than new after this suspension rebuild. i think this is probably the first time that skid has been outta the sled. im not siding with the seller at all as we all know he's a D-BAG but i used to be a turn the key and ride like i stole it type of guy, and this is what my skid looked like when i took it out after 5 years of riding and honestly never even greased it once. whatever wasnt totally worn out was missing and i know someone didnt leave them out cause i bought my sled new. shyt gets beat to death and disinegrates to nothing without grease and maintenance. again im not siding with the guy that sold it to you but just looks like alot of neglected rode hard suspension pieces. hopefully you get it back together and thats the end of your probelms.

I agree whole heartedly these things get beat to death and plastic bushing could definately dsinegrate!!!

my issue is he pulled the skid..... removed the Ohlins rear shocks that were on it (the same Ohlins I believe a couple different members both baught this year....) he then reinstall the skid with the Viper shocks that are on it!!!

so...... this skid has 635 miles on it since it was rebuilt last!!!

bluemonster1 said:
man o man..your bad luck continues.But sandpaper as bushings takes the cake.Some people are just pure azz's and the guy has a mental problem to.

thats what I'm screaming!!!! I wouldn't pay what he wanted for this old boat with the Ohlins and I think he just threw it back together. Being the a$$ this mental case is, I think the lack of bushings was to intensionally to pee in my cheerios!!!!

He didn't know I would find a band of brothers to share my story with!!!

especially the same band of brothers that will hopefully land him in jail where he belongs!!!!!!

blk04700 said:
see that stuff that looks like grey mud around the top and bottom of your bracket (which i would just grind off and pop rivet a new one on) , that is most likely your missing bushings and washers..... (lol) and the whole reason i now go thru my sleds top to bottom every fall.

I didn't know if just replacing the bracket would be enough..... I think I will replace the bracket, drill the tunnel behind it and make a brass or Aluminum bushing to fit the whooped out hole!!!

got a bracket you can sell me LOL!!! MORE parts to add to the WTB thread!!!

Back