First sled purchase NIGHTMARE (from back-on-blue) the saga continues!!!!!!

thstorms said:
my issue is he pulled the skid..... removed the Ohlins rear shocks that were on it (the same Ohlins I believe a couple different members both baught this year....) he then reinstall the skid with the Viper shocks that are on it!!!

:oops: didnt know this part , i guess i need to read more. just a good thing you caught it now.

blk04700 said:
:oops: didnt know this part , i guess i need to read more. just a good thing you caught it now.

For Sure!!! I'm counting my blessings!!! it looks like this after 600..... imagine a couple thousand, I wouldnt even have a sled..... I could have been very very seriously injured..... or worse!!!!!!!

well gotta run to the parts store and see what they have!!!

I'll keep you guys posted!!!

Storms

Just a thought... and I've been there done that. (I bought my first newer sled 3 years ago. It wasn't as bad as your's but the skid was pretty bad when I took it apart, so I rebuilt it). But for the $$$ I ended up putting into it, I could have put in a used M10 or skidoo skid. Now I'm putting a 136" IQ skid in it. I mean, I pulled my skid this summer and found the W-arm broke again... poor design. And when I say I rebuilt it, I mean I had the W-arm welded, a couple shafts replaced, all the bushings replaced and shimmed, and a few bearings, repacked the ones I reused, and had the shocks rebuilt. I bet I spent $300 in all, maybe even $400... Just something to think about... Some people want to keep the old pro-action skid, but if you are not emotionally attached to it... look for something else. Just my $.02.

blk04700 said:
see that stuff that looks like grey mud around the top and bottom of your bracket (which i would just grind off and pop rivet a new one on) , that is most likely your missing bushings and washers..... (lol) and the whole reason i now go thru my sleds top to bottom every fall.

there are 2 parts to this peice. i had to replace them on my 01 sx500r. get both the inner and outer peice with all new yamaha rivits. it will sandwitch the tunnel between them and will be fine.

wow on the wear in the bushings and shafts. looks almost like it was never greased. i never intentionally let my stuff get like that.

Vmax suspension

Storms, I have an used suspension with most of the parts in better shape than what it seems you have. I would be willing to give it to you and you pay shipping. I live at zip 4401 in maine. I am moving soon so if interested it might be worth the cost of shipping. I can take some close ups and send to your email if you want. It came out of an 97 Vmax long travel. Send me an email if interested. I have used some wheels and the rest are not in good shape but brackets, rails ... seem o.k. no shocks but I have springs and other shocks you can have. Let me know...
Terry

Wow sorry to hear, my brother bought his SRX and the skid turned out to be 95% junk. I don't know if you are interested but I have my 98 Vmax XT 500(low km) for sale. You could throw your 600 in it!

Last edited:
Hey, Storms this is the guy that I was going to buy that chassis off of on ebay and supply you with the L/H engine compartment support(the one that is hacked on your sled). BOY OH BOY am I glad I never went through with the transaction with this fool!!! The cross shafts for the suspension are not all that expensive. I bought a '91 exciter years ago that the suspension shafts were tapered on both ends. I machined new ones at work and later found out that they were about $20 apiece then.

If you need your w-arm re inforced and welded pm me and I can help you out with the reinforcing and welding service(you can help out if you want to take a road trip east aobut an hour). The material that Yamaha used is a little thin in my opinion. Later, Bandit

sleddineinar said:
BTW... I have a used pro-action skid for sale... needs the w-arm re-welded... ;o)

most of it is salvagable...... not bad enough to scrap....

my big ooops is I just spent all my coin on a nice Ice Attack that I found for a steal on my local CL.....

A handful of bearings, make all new aluminum bushings, have the w-arm reinforced and I think I can make it work!!! I just need at least 1 original part to get a starting point for building this one the way Yammy should have to begin with!!!

I appreciate the advice!!! the only M-10 I've seen was about $700 out of my pricerange though!!! LOL

the shocks are the pricey part and luckily mine are actually still good!!!

Maim said:
there are 2 parts to this peice. i had to replace them on my 01 sx500r. get both the inner and outer peice with all new yamaha rivits. it will sandwitch the tunnel between them and will be fine.

wow on the wear in the bushings and shafts. looks almost like it was never greased. i never intentionally let my stuff get like that.

definately a LOT of neglect with this poor old thing!!!

I have found all the part #'s for everything else but cant seem to find those brackets..... everyone just shows it as part of the frame/tunnel!!!

any advice??? do you know the PN off hand???

mtnmaxman600 said:
I'd find a different skid and rebush it.

I think I'm gonna buy one of each of the plastic bushings I am missing, make new ones from 6061 and PIF the plastic!!!

sounds like these little buggers are a common "holly POO!!!" necessary wear and maintenance item.......

bluebullet said:
Storms, I have an used suspension with most of the parts in better shape than what it seems you have. I would be willing to give it to you and you pay shipping. I live at zip 4401 in maine. I am moving soon so if interested it might be worth the cost of shipping. I can take some close ups and send to your email if you want. It came out of an 97 Vmax long travel. Send me an email if interested. I have used some wheels and the rest are not in good shape but brackets, rails ... seem o.k. no shocks but I have springs and other shocks you can have. Let me know...
Terry

HECK YES!!!!!! The way these sled toys eat up the parts.... I'll take all the spares I can get!!!!

PM me a shipping quote if I can afford it I'm in!!!!

Sxr700Bandit said:
Hey, Storms this is the guy that I was going to buy that chassis off of on ebay and supply you with the L/H engine compartment support(the one that is hacked on your sled). BOY OH BOY am I glad I never went through with the transaction with this fool!!! The cross shafts for the suspension are not all that expensive. I bought a '91 exciter years ago that the suspension shafts were tapered on both ends. I machined new ones at work and later found out that they were about $20 apiece then.

If you need your w-arm re inforced and welded pm me and I can help you out with the reinforcing and welding service(you can help out if you want to take a road trip east aobut an hour). The material that Yamaha used is a little thin in my opinion. Later, Bandit

ROAD TRIP!!!! sent ya a PM..... I'm ready when you are!!!

travis send me a pm with what u still need i have everything u need just got to gather it up ...i am going to petes on thursday so i can drop them off if need be ....also i made a set of them bushing on the lathe ...out of a harder plastic cant think of the name of the plastic off the top of my head havent checked to see how they held up ...i was thinkin of using 6061 but i didnt want alumnium aginst alumnium ...cause i dont want to wear the shaft down on the ends ...i was gonna look and see if i could find a caged needle bearing like the shock (upgrade).just never got around to it ...

haha i have a doo and storms is my best bud we wrench together and i have to say yamaha missed the boat a little on the pro action. but i am happy to see his yamaha getting the attention it deserves its kinda like cleaning up and feeding a homeless person all said and done this thing will never go away.

YA*AM*A*HEAD said:
travis send me a pm with what u still need i have everything u need just got to gather it up ...i am going to petes on thursday so i can drop them off if need be ....also i made a set of them bushing on the lathe ...out of a harder plastic cant think of the name of the plastic off the top of my head havent checked to see how they held up ...i was thinkin of using 6061 but i didnt want alumnium aginst alumnium ...cause i dont want to wear the shaft down on the ends ...i was gonna look and see if i could find a caged needle bearing like the shock (upgrade).just never got around to it ...

Good Call Rich!!!! I didn't think about the shaft being aluminum!!!! Hmmmm.... maybe a stainless shaft upgrade with 6061 bushings is the way to go for longevity!!!!!

I'll PM you a parts list!!!

Back