First sled purchase NIGHTMARE (from back-on-blue) the saga continues!!!!!!

Yamahasrx700 said:
The co efficient of friction is lower with a plastic bushing and grease.

gonna be my wifes sled and the start of my collection If I can ever finish geting it to the maintenance only point...... I dont think she'll notice, much less me either!!! I just want to be able to abbuse it and not work on it.... HD is my goal rather than smooth and light!!!

ok here is the part # you need. came off of yamaha usa site so you should be ok.

you need: 2-8CR-21943-01-00, 2-8CR-21953-00-00 & 8-90267-47197-00

i suggest an air riviter for the rivits as they are a sob to pull by hand in the space you have.

Maim said:
ok here is the part # you need. came off of yamaha usa site so you should be ok.

you need: 2-8CR-21943-01-00, 2-8CR-21953-00-00 & 8-90267-47197-00

i suggest an air riviter for the rivits as they are a sob to pull by hand in the space you have.

you are awesome maim!!!! $7.50 worth of parts is way better than replacing the tunnel!!!

where did you find the PN's???? I usually use Ronnies mail order to look them up but, sometimes it just doesnt have enough detail..... more of a quick fix mechanics parts finder!!!

i looked them up on my old sled, a 01 sx500r, whitch is the same chassis. you have to zoom in at least 4 times on the frame section of the fiche before you get enough detail to see them. i used the yamaha parts list link on the ty home page. saves my dealer a lot of time when i go in with the part # for what i want. better i do that some times as the rookie parts guys get a stunned look sometimes when i am doing mod parts.

Maim said:
i looked them up on my old sled, a 01 sx500r, whitch is the same chassis. you have to zoom in at least 4 times on the frame section of the fiche before you get enough detail to see them. i used the yamaha parts list link on the ty home page. saves my dealer a lot of time when i go in with the part # for what i want. better i do that some times as the rookie parts guys get a stunned look sometimes when i am doing mod parts.

Thanks I'll have to check it out!!! sounds like it has a little more detail than the one I used to...... I do the same thing, but now my local dealer started a website..... with the P/N you can order your own parts at 40% off and just pick them up in their parts dept. !!!!!!

thstorms said:
I think I'm gonna buy one of each of the plastic bushings I am missing, make new ones from 6061 and PIF the plastic!!!

sounds like these little buggers are a common "holly POO!!!" necessary wear and maintenance item.......

Its all about how you treat your sled good maintenance and keepin things tight goes a long ways.

mtnmaxman600 said:
Its all about how you treat your sled good maintenance and keepin things tight goes a long ways.

Kinda what everyone who's a veteran is telling me..... stick with the plastic anywhere it makes contact with Aluminum, If I do anything Delron(sp?) is the only other way to go!!!

I guess Yamaha probably knew what they were doing..... kinda...... I'm just excited, if I'm going to build a sled part by part I want it to be as strong and reliable as it possibly can be!!!!

IMG_1935.jpg

OOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

IMG_1933.jpg

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMG_1918.jpg

HUBBA HUBBA!!!!!!

IMG_1919.jpg

^^^^^^^^

THANKS FOR THE TRAILING ARM YA*AM*A*HEAD!!!!!!

THANKS FOR THE SMOKIN DEAL ON POWDERCOATING AMATOSRX!!!!!!

I dont mean to sond like a MR perfect Ya*am*a*head, are you sure its not delrin? The material feels smooth and slick just by handling it, not sticky and grabby like nylon.

thstorms said:
I agree whole heartedly these things get beat to death and plastic bushing could definately dsinegrate!!!

my issue is he pulled the skid..... removed the Ohlins rear shocks that were on it (the same Ohlins I believe a couple different members both baught this year....) he then reinstall the skid with the Viper shocks that are on it!!!

so...... this skid has 635 miles on it since it was rebuilt last!!!

Like others have said, all of the problems appear to be from wear and a lack of maintenance. There is no need to pull the skid to replace the shocks, so he probably did not have it out. I think what appears to be sandpaper is what is left of the plastic bushings. The W arm looks normal to me - they are a weak point, so the crack is not unusual. The oblong holes in the tunnel are from a disintegrated front axle bearing and loose cross shaft bolts.

more evidence of the accident theory..... pieced back together, hammered straight, reinforced!!!

IMG_1909.jpg

IMG_1910.jpg

IMG_1911.jpg

IMG_1912.jpg

I used a piece of solid 5/8" aluminum rod 14" long to reinforce the torn area.... I plan to have it welded just to make sure the rod doesn't move!!!

Reminds me of my first sled. It was a 97 Polaris XLT 600. The year with the bad crank. I bought it not running cause I didn't have much money to spend and thought I was pretty mechanical, which I am. The guy said it just quit and he didn't want to mess with it. When I got it torn down it was obvious that he had messed with it and had put it back together wrong and I had nothing but problems with that sled. Sold it for parts 4 years later.

I guess the moral of the story if I had to do it over is save your money a little longer till you can buy something nice and clean that is in good running condition. I know I had enough into that old Polaris to have bought a really nice sled. But I learned a lot too, so there's 2 sides.

sxr70001 said:
Reminds me of my first sled. It was a 97 Polaris XLT 600. The year with the bad crank. I bought it not running cause I didn't have much money to spend and thought I was pretty mechanical, which I am. The guy said it just quit and he didn't want to mess with it. When I got it torn down it was obvious that he had messed with it and had put it back together wrong and I had nothing but problems with that sled. Sold it for parts 4 years later.

I guess the moral of the story if I had to do it over is save your money a little longer till you can buy something nice and clean that is in good running condition. I know I had enough into that old Polaris to have bought a really nice sled. But I learned a lot too, so there's 2 sides.

Probably sound advice..... but this is now kind of a TY family build!!! I have to save it, build it as sound and reliable as possible and keep it 'till its time to pass it along to the next one in line...... for now that looks like my wife, soooo it will probably only be riden a handful of times each year!!!

After a good hard whooping this year of course!!!..... just to make sure its top notch!!!

Back