Compound Twin Turbo Vmax-4

Looks great! Get rid of the silicone hose and go to machined o-ring "slip couplers" on everything or go V-band setups! Will help keep any boost leaks out of the equation when cranking on the boost! ;)!

DieselBoost010.jpg

Srxspec said:
Looks great! Get rid of the silicone hose and go to machined o-ring "slip couplers" on everything or go V-band setups! Will help keep any boost leaks out of the equation when cranking on the boost! ;)!

DieselBoost010.jpg

this rig has just got to be for tractor pulling!

Thanks Allen! I'm not too worried about the silicone boots on this setup for boost leaking. We have a '05 Dodge Cummins w/ a BD Compound Turbo kit pushing 70 psi of boost with silicone hoses that has held up very well with T-bolt clamps, but your right I'll probably fabricate the clamped flanges in the future as a precaution, but not yet as I may upgrade my large secondary over the summer (greedy!) I'm around your area in South Dakota quite often, I'll have to stop by sometime and visit if you're not busy. I like your 3-stage compound setup (200+ psi???), those are fun pulling classes to run. My Dad use to pull a JD 6030 with a compound turbo setup, think he said around 150 psi back in the day.

I've sized these (2) turbos more for top end horsepower/ mph performance so I can utilize the higher pressure ratios to obtain higher boost levels, something that I can't go further with using a large single setup on a 2-stroke. I'm not focused on a quick spool down in the lower rpm range as speed runs aren't about ET's.

Last edited:
I'm sure we will have some videos this season in action. I almost finished the final install this weekend but ran out of time and was short a few minor braided lines for the fuel system. It will be running again for sure this coming weekend ready to rip on the track dyno. Polished ceramic coating sure puts an incredible finish to a project like this....it has fully exceeded my expectations with fabrication/fit and finish.

This sled sounds awesome I have seen it run a few times it litterally sounds like a jet.

pro116 said:
This sled sounds awesome I have seen it run a few times it litterally sounds like a jet.

Thanks Pro116, I'm excited to see what it will do with almost 100 more HP, plus the linear torque curve should be insane!

Here is a video somebody posted from 2-years ago running 157.5 mph in 1000' with only about 450 h.p. We ended up taking top speed of the day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQy7Gwx9eG4

Last edited:
BARON 8BU said:
Curt Wald. I beleive this is some of Justins handy work also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9In1LoOnmg

Yeah, that was the final lake race of the day at the Weenie Roast between Curt on his Turbo Vmax-4 and Glenn Hall on a very fast D&D Z1 Turbo. His Vmax-4 has some serious long legs. In the video you don't even see it coming down the lake, then it shoots by the camera. For 2011, his sled just got alot more nasty with about 80 more h.p. and alot longer, lol!

Amazing!

So, any chance of heading to Cruiserfest in minocqua in February?

I want to see/ hear this beast run.

Very, very happy to be at this point and ready to rip. The sled is actually much more quieter now with (2) turbos acting as mufflers, you can really hear the turbos now. I anticipate it will have more of that screaming jet sound at full boost! Like I said above it is very responsive on the throttle better than my single setup, but still hard to get a real feel on the warmup stand because of the very high gear ratio and aggressive clutching, it quickly wants to shift out with no load.

Here is a finished picture after ceramic coating and startup!

Attachments

• IMG00043-20110116-1751[1].jpg
    IMG00043-20110116-1751[1].jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:

Back