Compound Twin Turbo Vmax-4

horkn said:
Amazing!

So, any chance of heading to Cruiserfest in minocqua in February?

I want to see/ hear this beast run.

There is no way i wouls run a sled like that at cruiser fest.The speed run track is ccrap every year and not much shut down.They don't shave it.My buddy with his 1500 polaris on nitrous went off the end of the track about 4 years ago there so they finally added more shut down room.My buddy will be taking his turbo yamaha there like he does every year but there but he said there is no way he is taking his turbo cat there even though it's faster.

Justin that looks killer.I hope to see it at the weenie roast this year.

I took it out early this morning to make a few shakedown runs on Rice Lake. The setup is amazing, at around 35 pounds (intial setup in the wastegates) of boost the sled is an absolute rocket, wow! I tryed to let off at about 500 ft due to rougher track conditions and put it back on the trailer, thats enough on a plowed track. I won't run this sled unless it's a safe shaved track like NSSR, just to many things to have go wrong on a plowed track. I'm just waiting for the hood to be finished at the bodyshop and hopefully will be done for this weekend in Menomonie.

I will definatelly be at the Weenie Roast this year and we have Curt Wald's Turbo Vmax-4 (Snow Dragger) that should be pushing very close to 500 h.p. this year with major traction improvements made. I think his sled will be one to watch very close.

Curt didn't attend the "Battle at the Bay" event in Ashland. He is very close to having his revised build finished and plans to race it at the XCR Shootout on Moose Lake (Hayward) on the 5th of February. Without a doubt this will be a sled to watch at the Weenie Roast, he will be pushing very close to 500 h.p. with a very large single Garrett turbo and for those that haven't seen it in action this sled has zero lag launching at 6700 rpms! He has major traction this season and an additional 80+ h.p. over last season!

The compound turbo sled is ready to rip, but I'm waiting on the new hood to be finished at the body shop. it is set to be sparyed on Friday. So with that minor holdup, I will not be attending the NSSR event in Menomonie this Saturday. I will be ready to go for Forest Lake on the 12th! After the test runs I definately expect this new setup to hit 175 mph in 1000' on a production chassis, I was already hitting 35 psi of boost by 7000 rpms. the torque curve of this setup is unreal and I guestimate torque numbers to easily be around 400 ft. lbs. planning on going back to DynoTech in late spring to verify my guess, but if all things go well I plan on letting this thing eat 40+ psi of boost in Chetek at the final NSSR event...time will so tell all!

Last edited:
there is a vmax4 near me for $1200. its a 95 and looks nice. this thread makes me WANT it BAD!!!! this thing sounds SOOOOOOO cool!!! congrats man, can't wait to see the hood all done and on

Are you using carbs or fuel injection? Very curious on how you are fueling that beast with the turbo setup.

How are you able to keep it lean enough down low and rich enough up top with all that boost. Are the carbs boost referenced at all?

Quad - did you run the NSSR event in Menomonie last weekend? I was not able to make it. I am very interested in how the run went if you were there.

He mentioned in an earlier post that he would not be attending the Menomonie event, but is heading to Forest Lake on the 12th.

No I didn't make the NSSR Menomonie race but I will be at Forest Lake, MN on the 12th for the 3rd NSSR race. The new hood was sitting in the body shop under the heat lamps drying on Saturday, lol! It really turned out awesome, the guys had over 45-hours invested into modifying this hood and trying to re-mold and modify the shape, but it looks like a "production built" hood, absolutely flawless, IMO. I attached a photo so you can see how the atmospheric air is forced straight into the huge turbo at 170+ mph.

Attachments

• Vmax-4 Mod Hood.jpg
    Vmax-4 Mod Hood.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 401
That.............is a small picture.

I would love to see a bigger one to see some detail.....although, it does look great in that tiny pic. :)

Have you thought of Powdercoating or painting your intercooler gloss black? I wonder how that would look...

Yes, I use a large rising-rate fuel regulator (2:1), boost referenced supplementary fuel nozzles and ect.

Valin, I'll have to try and re-size the photo. I don't want anything on the aluminum to act as a blocker for cooling. The intercooler is polished as it sits, I'll have to take a new photo of the entire sled next week when I have it on the ice....I love the compounds, huge torque curve!

Last edited:
Nice. It's alot easier to create an account on photoshop.com, and upload to there. Then, you can just embed them here, and they are nice and big.

Valin, maybe I'm just being careful of how much I show, lol! :na

You'd be suprised how many guys want to see very detailed photos of how the exhaust and multiple wastegates are configured and routed to work.

Last edited:
I completely understand, Justin. Maybe just send me a detailed photo then, so the others don't try to copy your work :)

Back