I just got a free SS440!!...

L_C99

...and now I need some help. I got it for free because it had been sitting in my friends garage for a couple of years taking up space that he wanted. So I empied out the old gas put some new in, primed it a couple of times and it started right up, runs like a champ.
But as with anything free it has some problems. It has been siting for some time and the track doesn't look to be in the best shape, it is missing almost all the guide clips on the right side, but they all look to be there on the left side. A couple of the wheels the track rides on need to be replaced, so where can I find parts for this sled? I don't want to go overboard, it is a old sled after all and I don't want to put more than a couple hundred into it, but I don't want it to leave me stranded either.
Also it there any easy way to get more power out of this engine more than just a pipe, or port & polish? I read that Yamaha made a 480 that was almost the same as this engine, could I swap cranks and make it a "stroker" or something of the sort.
And one more thing anyone know where I can gat a service manual for this? I think it is an 87. Thanks

Here are some pictures so you guys can see what I got.
Snowmobile001.jpg

Snowmobile003.jpg

Snowmobile002.jpg

Snowmobile006.jpg

Snowmobile005.jpg

Snowmobile004.jpg

And I just realized that there is no 1987 SS 440 so can you guys give me a year on this? if you need a picture of something specific let me know and I can take it. Thanks

the vin # is located on the right side near where the tank meets the seat, just below where the pull rope handle sits.

the SS440's were produced from 1980-1985, vin #'s as follows:
1980=8K4
81=8L8
82=8N8
83=8U3
84=8V8
85=80R
these are the first three digits of the vin and the only way to verify model year. compare to the vin stamped on your tunnel.

you can still get tracks for these sleds from places like dennis kirk, tracks usa, etc. royal distributing if your in canada.

just ride it , you dont need more power , that suspension wont give you any kind of ride at a higher speed ........ hold it wide open , it will go.

Thanks Snowdad, I will look for the VIN tommorrow. I looked at thoes websites for tracks, and I don't know if i'm up to paying $400 for a new track. I will take a picture of the track tommorrow and let you guys tell me if I really need to replace it.
Still wondering if I can get a service manual for this sled... anyone?
Thanks

That's a very clean straight SS. With a windshield, seat cover, a few other odds and ends, cleaning and detailing it would be exellent.

You did good.

Now on power. It doesn't need more. They were in the 50hp range and you could get in pleanty of trouble with what it had. The odometer reads just under 5000 miles. A very well kept sled with those kind of miles and years.

It needs to be gone through in the drive department. You mentioned track clips, wheels etc. Rolling resistance is key to good performance. It must be eliminated to the extent possible. Wheels, bearings, hyfax, track clips, suspension shafts, adjustments etc, to all the drive components can gain you more hp than you think. It also costs less and will give you less trouble down the road then looking for more from the engine. The clutches should also be cleaned and gone through then properly adjusted with a good belt. You can loose 50% or more of the power the engine makes just in the drive system.

I would also go through the oil and fuel systems from the in-tank filter to the carbs and make sure everything is good. Pull the air box and cooling shrouds to check for mouse nests, the condition of the fan belt and anything else that looks out of place.

The mileage on that sled doesn't scare me. It has been cared for (your pics tell the story) but it could surely use a very through going over. Dialed and set to factory specs that machine will surprise you. Very quick for a 440 fanner

You'll like it,

opsled

here are the pictures:
Snowmobile008circled.jpg

The clips that are circled are almost all gone on the right side, is that something I should worry about?
Snowmobile007.jpg

And in this picture you can see some cracking on the track most of the track is like that, it that just cause for spending $400 on a new track?
Thanks Guys
*Edit* I found the VIN it was too ovious for me to find it lol, it is a 1985.

Last edited:
I've got a ss just like that. Only I said screw that stock suspension and put an 90 exciter suspension in it. If you do that you have to make a bracket for the back holes because they don't match up with the suspension. You also have to put a 121 in track on there. I think its worth it, i've had a blast with mine so far this year!

Lc

Those sleds are great! Motor is almost unstopable! I had 3 of them over the years and my kids pounded them but they never blinked. Don't touch that motor, clutch work ( Comet ) can give you a little more fun once you get the rest of the drive train fixed . Sled is light and tough as nails, Have fun!

more questions...
First is this important? Should I replace it or just cut it off? It seems like it wouldn't be worth it to replace but I wouldn't really know.
Snowmobile009marked.jpg

Also I still would like to know what you guys think about the track, should I replace it? here is another picture for you.
Snowmobile010.jpg

if i were you i would replace that track. but that is just me . i just replaced the track on my 84 srv i got it from tracks usa on sale for $390.00 that is shipping included in less than a week . as for that limit strap boats.net shows that part is obsolete i don't know if it will hurt the handling of the sled or not.
p.s. the track i got was the predator 121x15x1.250" lug. and i love it!!

if you really need that strap locate a company in your area that deals in conveyor belts they usually have small strips that you can buy cheep @5 or 10 bucks . then just cut to size ,drill holes ,new bolts and you are done. might take you a whole 10 to 15min .

the clips are fine as they where only every 2nd from factory on those. just make shure the plain clip is still there.

those wheels are the good stock ones. as long as the rubber is not coming off of them, throw some new bearings in them and ride it.

those had a 118" track from factory and aftermarket makes you use a 116" track that you have to move the suspension for. grab a deal on a 121" used take off and move the suspension back to compensate.

the front limiter can be made from a peice of conveyor belt or some nylon belting if you do not mind non oem parts. needs to be on there otherwise the suspension rails will spear the track and you will go for a flip/ride.

keep an eye on that track. if you are careful it will probably last the season.

most of all, clean the carbs, change the filters and go have fun!!!

srxr700 said:
Find a salvage yard. I would bet you could find a limiter strap and any other parts you need.
for other parts a salvage yard would be great but for the limit strap not so good . the ones he will find will be 26+ yrs old and siting out side for who knows how long most likely dry rotted and the bolts all rusted cheaper and easier to just make one.

Thanks for the suggestion on the limiter strap, I will probably do that to replace it.
Also as far as replacing the track I went on the Denis Kirk website and they have one track that fits these sleds, so I clicked on it and viewed all the sleds that it fits. Now i'm doing some ebay and craigslist trolling for used tracks from any of thoes sleds. I'm assuming that thoes will be a direct bolt on, no moving of the suspension necessary?
But then what Maim said about using the 121" track is interesting also. How far back would I have to move the suspension? and how tough of a job is that? in my trolling I have found quite a few 15 x 121 tracks so that may be a good solution if it is not too hard.
And thanks for answering all my questions so far, I know i'm a noob but I enjoy learning this stuff.

Back