I just got a free SS440!!...

crank seals...crank seals................... both of these sleds where shot and the one only had 2200 miles of it the yellow and black one had holes in both pistons

The crank seals cause the holes in the piston? or are you just saying the crank seals are a problem that I should be looking out for?

O ok so they are similar to the main seals on a 4-stroke engine, they seal off where the crank goes through the block on both ends. Is there a way to test them or just a visual inspection, or just replace them?

You have to run the engine to test them.

I have done a set on an old polaris motor, and when the motor came out, enough of the seal was missing, I could see a large chunk gone. Replaced the seals, and that old 340 is still running strong

The way to test them is while the engine is running, spray carb cleaner, or WD40 down behind the clutch, close to the shaft. If the motor revs, or changes pitch, then you have a bad seal on that end. Cannot really check the seal on the other end very easy I do not believe....

makes sence, I was hoping to not have to remove the engine though. I suppose I will fix it and then check everything like you suggested, the carb boot, seals, ect. and keep the jets out furthur untill I have tested everything.

Also I was looking at some rebuild kits and there are generic that cost about $100 and Wiseco which costs more like $200. So is it worth it to go for the Wiseco?
Thanks

wiseco is higher performance and you have to warm up the sled correctly or they will seize in the piston bore. if you are using it for feilds and around hone, i would just use the generic ones.

Nice score for free. Excellent condition for the year and the miles. Do everything Opsled suggested and if it needs a new track, its easily worth it. If I'm not mistaken the Camoplast track for it is called a dynasport 325 or something like that and tracks usa had them on sale late last year for $325.00!! Thats cheap! They are a 3/4 inch lug track which I believe is a small improvement over stock. These are very reliable snowmobile and if you take care of it and don't shy away from spending the money it needs when it needs it for fixing things properly, your grand-kids could be riding it one day! Enjoy. G.

Back