89 Exciter Transformation!

BKACHE said:
I see 1988 Exciter-I microfiche lists needle as part #84m 14116 0700.

1989 changes to 239 14116 68 00 are these the same part with just a new numbering system ?
stanage said:
Yamaha updated the jetting every year from 87 to 88 to 89 to 90,
and if you take a close look at the microfiche,
they aren't using the updated jetting.
The main jet should not be in the bowl, it should at the end of the nedle jet.

I would take Lasse's recommendations somewhere in this thread and follow them for your carb setup.
...Forget the Microfiche part #'s !!

Yamaha Factory updated jetting for the Yamaha Exciter-I ( 87 / 88 / 89 / 90 )
Pilot jet : 40
Main jet : 320
Air screw : 1.0 turn out ( +-½ Turn )
Slide : 3.0
Needle jet : 480 P-6
Needle : 6FL68 ( Yamaha part # 239-14116-68-00 )
( And of course all the things regarding the "Power Jet" system is deleted ! )

:2strokes:

Last edited:
Guys!

Here is a short vid of me doing a plug chop, when I got up to 110km/h.

Still a lot of work to do, but atleast it rocks now...

http://youtu.be/IUAKCdaL94Y

More video is coming. OH, and I didn't break the 27$ shaft, I broke the 80$ shaft :(

shaft.jpg

stanage said:
Yamaha updated the jetting from 88 to 89, and if you take a close look at the microfiche, they aren't using the updated jetting. The main jet should not be in the bowl, it should at the end of the nedle jet.

I would take Lasse's recommendations somewhere in this thread of the exiter 101 thread, and follow them for your carb setup.

Two different part numbers would tell me two different needles. The "68" in the needle number refers to the actual needle taper. I am looking for some "82" (239 14116 82 00) needles, as these are apparently copies of the Legendary PSI needles that were recommended for the single PSI pipe.

The needle with "68" is a 6FL68 Mikuni needle
The needle with "82" is a 6FL82 Mikuni needle, copied after PSI's needle.

1990 ex 570 needles are what you are looking for

I almost got shafted buying the shaft from the stealership

stanage said:
OH, and I didn't break the 27$ shaft, I broke the 80$ shaft :(

Managed to find the shaft at this place, http://www.myoldyamaha.com/
on sale for $60! My regular stealership wanted $120 for the same shaft!!! Well... they just shafted themselves out of a sale...

And the best part is, http://www.myoldyamaha.com/ is CANADIAN! No duty, or excessive shipping delays, just a $3 tax :)

Last edited:
I got some better video, but as I was just about to publish it, the power went out and I lost my edited video... gonna have to redo it tonight :(

Well, thanks for all the great support this season guys. We'll definitely have to catch up again next season(if it's not the end of the world in Deember) and compare our respective upgrades. I plan on atleast fixing my carburation, air box and removing the oil injection, but I might also delve into some case to cylinder porting to get the most out of my engine. All it requires is removing the bottom end and pulling out the crank and pistons and then workin it!

Totally agree, the support we got here is worth gold:) the spring comes here to, even if we got another month or so left. I´m planning some clutchwork for the end of the season though the ice will be perfect for some testruns. Bought the 89L belt yesterday so i begin with that, then i go for spring and weights (let u know what i find) keep me updated with the porting. saw that the sx porting sheets still is available out there:)

Stanage/Prankster...Hi, I'm new to the forum, and I am also building-up an '89 Exciter. Was curious how you mounted the Camoplast skis??? Their mounting kits that I've found are only for the trailing arm suspension, unless I'm blind :) Any input vastly appreciated.

Matt

Welcome Matt:) Always fun to meet other ones who share our interest for old exciters. We are a couple here who´s modifying these sleds in various ways, glad u joined us! When it comes to the camoplast skis u have to talk to stanage, i went for the v-max 750 aluminum skis on mine. You can find alot of info in this thread and in the exciter knowledge 101 thread. Please post some pics of your work, we will all follow it with great interest:)

yamaweezle said:
Stanage/Prankster...Hi, I'm new to the forum, and I am also building-up an '89 Exciter. Was curious how you mounted the Camoplast skis??? Their mounting kits that I've found are only for the trailing arm suspension, unless I'm blind :) Any input vastly appreciated.

Matt

Hey Matt,

Basically to mount the skiis, you needs wide shims. The kit I bought came with the shims I needed to mount it to a 96 Vmax strut. It comes ready to bolt on. I got them off ebay.

Found out that my previous clutch had yellow-green spring and 53g wights worked great with that together with the psi single. Thought i share that with u, looking for a couple of new 53 weights right now:)

Thanks Stanage...I'l have to start a build thread of my own. I purchased a well used Exciter last year & rode it through the season for something to play around on. I just recently came across another one for very cheap, which has an operating electric start. Figured I'd make a good one out of both of them, and add a few custom touches.

yamaweezle said:
Thanks Stanage...I'l have to start a build thread of my own. I purchased a well used Exciter last year & rode it through the season for something to play around on. I just recently came across another one for very cheap, which has an operating electric start. Figured I'd make a good one out of both of them, and add a few custom touches.

:wel: Just remember, when you start doing mods, you never stop... it becomes a hobby, and something to do when your bored. I just finished my cold air system. Pretty functional, just needs a bit of tweaking. Can't test it out till next year, but atleast its done.

prankster said:
Found out that my previous clutch had yellow-green spring and 53g wights worked great with that together with the psi single. Thought i share that with u, looking for a couple of new 53 weights right now:)

Thanks dude! That makes total sense!! I'll try and source some. Right now I've got 58 grams, and it rocks pretty good. But I've got a red spring, compared to your green-yellow.

On the chart it looks like the green-yellow has the same rate as the red, but more preload and full shift... I was under the impression I needed more rate. I could always try with 3 shims under the spring to see what the effect was. It might just be worth ordering both!?

Back