The making of "Darth Viper" #2.0

The mono is a great upgrade, and a good bit lighter if memory serves. If you do the tunnel mount adjuster remember to get the "ra protector" from Yamaha. Helps keep the cable from being ripped off

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

so whats the new verdict on the front tunnel bracket where the mono will go,can you just move the center hole bracket from the no action and use that? also it looks like the the rear holes remain the same?

Yes move it back . U will need a outer plate to support the load of the front mount. I made a this stainless plate to spread out the weight.l

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 31
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
I used a stainless plate on the inside and the viper S tunnel braces on the outside

I already have the outside tunnel braces/traction brackets off a viper s, so I was just thinking of moving the original center bolt bracket on the inside to go to the front of the mono.

post a pic of 2 of yours if you dont mind. I have been looking at the differnt mono installs and I am not sure but looks like you could simply put the front mount hole in line with the other 2 as when you move it up or down your going to change the approach angle for the track to the skid, so theres likely some room there to move if a guy wanted to.

Been so long I don't remember, but in my writeup it should say

skidframe is 79.8lbs as pictured,so its no lightweight. Not sure how much the shock/spring weighs.

Definitely gonna need ALOT of cleaning and powdercoating to be able to put this into Darth.

Attachments

• 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 32
I remember seeing the weight in the box it was shipped in, and used the same box to send out the old pro-action. Something like 20 lbs less for the mono. Don't know the weight difference, do you?

I sold a pro action skid a long time ago and shipped it, I thought it was like 80lbs but its been too long to know/remember,but I will weigh the pro action when I take it out.
I dont think the mono is gonna be very much at all differnt in weight, I could be wrong. Perhaps the steel tubing and all for the arms is what makes it so heavy, where as the pro action just has the front arm and the rear scissor part,but has 2 shocks,transfer rods,center shock braces.

will find out soon enough with actual weight.

I started it up,pulled it outside and took it for a spin today, feels pretty healthy. You just cant take a good picture of this, it is so shiny it eats up the camera light, check out the reflections in the hood. I want to say thanks again to Bob Wiles(02srx) for the killer paint job and Pete Amato (Amatosrx)for the awesome work on the powdercoating, its all flawless work!

Gettin ready to put the mono skidframe in the sled for this winter, its currently being boxed up and sent to Pete to turn it to the dark side as well. I also bought a electric Ohlins shock and controller from Jason,(JDviper) to install in the sled. Cant wait to ride it in some snow this year!

if you click on the pics they get bigger, then click again and bigger yet.

Attachments

• 035.jpg
    035.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 78
  • 036.jpg
    036.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 91
  • 037.jpg
    037.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 78
Hey Don, any issues with the compression knob contacting the belly pan when the front shock is full compressed?

well not so far, I stood on the front bumper and they dont hit, they are a little close but I have not jumped the sled to say "no" for sure will find out soon enough.

On another note, I am getting ready to install the mono skidframe with electric ohlins shock so I will be updating the build soon!

Also with gas getting cheap enough i am torn wether to pipe the sled with srx pipes or use the CPR pipes. I have both sets and all the conversion parts for the srx pipes but I know how much power the cpr pipes add.....decisions,decisions........

Rode the sled all day and no hiccups, it runs great and has very good power. Rides nice jumping it in and out of the ditchs, seems to soak up the bumps nice with the apex shocks. Put on a lil over 80 miles on it today riding with my kid on her viper. I am very happy with it, just need to get the mono skid in it and the hid headlight system on it. I rode it after dark and the lights are still good but once the hid are in it should be great, you can notice the lights a little dimmer then the kids without the tint but its totally useable the way it is.

nobody knew what it was at the local bar when we got there....lol

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 45
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 47
Hey Don, happy the sled is running well but at the end of the day when riding with our kids it does matter how well our sled runs. Its all about family time. But I had no doubt you built a great sled.

Back