The making of "Darth Viper" #2.0

don, two things to watch out for. I used the sx brackets on my viper with ohlins from a srx for a while. there is one side that is very thin where you drill and tap to hold the lower bracket. It cracked the bulkhead and wouldn't stay tight. Might have just been my casting but something to look out for.
second is the lower shock mount. it was designed to use a rubber bushing as it changes the angle of the bolt as it cycles through its travel, unlike the Aframes of the four strokes they were designed for. Unless you can mount it in rubber somehow you may be bending the end of the shaft. There looks to be enough meat on the apex shocks to mill them out to accept the ohlins style spherical ball ends. I had looked into this for my daughters sled.
I do like the color choice.

Still doing details to Darth, the headlight and the reflectors bothered me,too bright for the look of the rest of sled. Black headlight covers are a pain in the butt and illegal in the other 2 states I ride in, so looked for a differnt approach to dim em down just a bit when not running the sled.
Heres the light before and the new improved version. I will post a pic of it installed in the sled after I wet sand the light with 2000 grit and hit it with the buffer to make it glow.
I was trying to use the 20% tinted film but it was not coming out good for me, kept showing tiny air bubbles. So I used spray tint, then 3 heavy coats of gloss clear over it.

without the camera flash the improved light looks sweet, its dark smokey looking exactly what I wanted.

ADD: theres a pic with finger over the flash but the little orange aim light still hit it but you get the idea, it still reflects light pretty good. I plan on using the hid light system like super1c did so it should be bright enough at night to ride.

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Found some pics of the engine I didnt post, its the topend and stuff. So if you ever got a viper job from me, you can see I am running the same thing as you got, no secrets. I did o-ring my cylinders to delete the head gasket.
Trail ported case top, stage 2 viper porting with mega power heads and water rail. Modded pistons with swain tech coating for extra durability on the skirts, lightweight pins. :2strokes: :sled2:

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    123 KB · Views: 65
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 75
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    132.4 KB · Views: 63
03viperguy said:
I likethe idea of the Swain tech coatings. have you seen good results before?

I use it alot on differnt engines, it holds up really well and it makes the skirts"slippery" when they have oil on them. I also use it sometimes for people when thier pistons are a couple to a few thous undersize, the coating can be applied and bring the piston back into the correct spec for skirt to wall clearance. 780's do good with this coating as they like to scuff the intake side of the piston, this pretty much eliminates it.

I dont coat the tops because it makes it hard to "read" the wash. Had them done before and the carbon and smoke dont like to stick to the thermal dome coating.

thanks for the info I was going to coat my tops but this makes more sense to read the pistons I think I will only get the skirts done
Thanks Don

03viperguy said:
wow, I guess if carbon wont stick it is good stuff! ever try it on pv's?

Wow now there is an idea. I wonder if rich know's or has heard of this. I tested a valve for rich last year but havent heard a word since from him. HMMM

Finally done messing with headlight, wet sanded it with 2000 then buffed the clear coat, came out sweet. Its dark but still reflects the light very well, I dont think its going to be an issue at all with the lights on, the camera flash picks up the chrome reflector inside with no problem at all.
I am still going to use the HID lighting on it also.

It looks sinister now...... :twisted: it just wasnt Darth Vader looking before to me. When its parked at stops on the trail it will be dark looking and now I dont have to remove headlight covers and worry about scratching them and so forth with the cops.

pics 1 & 2 are with no flash, pic #4 is with light on behind me and no flash. You can see how the reflector inside the lens stills gathers light good so it should shine just fine with the headlights blazing, those HID's are BRIGHT!

oh ya... if you can notice the reflector on the bellypan is now turned to the dark side as well...same thing, spray tint, it works still(reflects light) but if you look at it at an angle like in the pic, its all black looking. ;)!

click on the pics, they go bigger.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 64
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 66
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
ya, I just need to put the rear skid back in it and finish up the misc parts to be bolted on, skis, shocks,etc. I will update this with pics and info soon.

It's baaack,,.........gonna be taking some photos today and updating the thread. I have a little bit of time this weekend to try and get it finished up.

Snows on the ground again and it needs to get outside so you guys can see it.

Back