The making of "Darth Viper" #2.0

Got the skidframe all back together and squared up. If you know about loosening up all the bolts and getting the skidframe square to the ground so all your wheels touch at the same time and it will not only make your sled faster but it will wear your hyfax and such evenly. It is kinda crazy how far off they can be. I will try and insert the "how to" from the other darth viper build. I did the same exact thing on this one .

I had a couple pics of the skidframe completed sitting on the workbench but for some reason they are so dark you cant see it:o|.

But heres a couple of the dusty skidframe back into the dusty chassis...lol, sorry its kind of ratty looking but it will be nice as soon as I give it a nice warm soapy bath.

As usual the camera flash picks up the differnt shades and makes it look strange but its all super black.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 43

I found a set of "new" old stock yamaha trailing arm caps for the sled, they are the plastic pop in ones, they finish off the trailing arm. They are nice and shiny black match the tr. arm well, except the flash makes them look weird???

Got the apex skis on and the only thing left to do to the sled now is finish bolting up the front shocks and making a spacer for the tie rod tube so it doesnt rub the bulkhead. I had to modify the shock brackets to allow the canister on the shocks not to hit the bellypan. I will post a couple pics of them tommarrow after I get them painted and ready to go back on.

Its getting really close to comin off the lift and heading straight to the hose for a bath and a wax job! Then it will look like it should!

List of things to finish before completed:

1.) finsh up front shock brackets-tierod tube spacers
2.) stud the track
3.) install new black hyfax
4.) install antifreeze and gas
5.) start it up, check powervalve adjustment,track tension, test clutching set up...........;)!:sled2:

looking at it in these pics,what a pig pen dusty thing....:whine:

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 44
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 36
Don, your work in amazing. Your sleds are incredible and so sweet looking. I would love to be able to spend time in your work shop to learn from a master.
Sled looks awesome.

I got the front all done tonight and Darth rolled off the lift! Here is what I did to the shock brackets, I cut them apart and made new sides and welded them up inside and outside. The shocks needed less angle and the adjuster knobs were too close to the bellypan,they now will clear even with suspension bottomed out.

Will still need to shorten the swaybar links and add a spacer to the tie rod end to keep the steering tubes off the bulkhead edge.

Also showed a pic of how you attach the brackets to the bulkhead. I first used a transfer punch to locate the center of the hole, then drilled and tapped for a 10mm bolt.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 22
This is how the shocks look installed finally;)!. Seems to go thru the travel very smoothly, I am sure its going to take a few try's to get it adjusted to where I will like it as the springs and valving will be quite differnt from what these shocks came off of to this sled:sled1:.

It rolls so easy you can push the sled across the floor with 1 hand on the bumper(no skags on it yet and belt off) but it rolls nice..............:2strokes::letitsnow

BATH TIME....... this weekend then outside for some pics!!!

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 49
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 43
One last thing before I fire it up and test it, the heads were too "bling, bling" and didnt look right being polished aluminum, so I took them to the bead blast cabinet and dulled them down to match the other alum. parts, after all Darth Vader doesnt have chrome or polished aluminum on his stuff!
I also bead blasted the head bolts and painted them satin black.

Gonna trim the mega power domes a tad in the morning and ready to install and start him up!

Sorry I keep jumping around and changing things in this build thread,but I sit and look at it then change my mind....:o|

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 24
looks AWESOME! gotta feel good to have it this close to completion!

Yep, its been a long haul, not because it was a big job but merely because I just dont have time to work on my own stuff, too busy with everyone elses stuff. Thats why you see alot of the post done at the wee hours of the morning. Just have to stay up and get stuff done or it just sits and sits and collects LOTS of dust.....LOL!

Thanx for the compliments!

couple pics of engine bay...

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 30
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Got it outside and gave it a much needed bath, took a few pics of it while it was still wet.
Looks great in person, need some snow to set it off,not a gravel drive...lol:sled1:

Attachments

• 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 58
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 50
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 57
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 54
back inside wiped off, you cant see much in a pic but its all black and evil looking!:WayCool:

click on the pics they get bigger, sorry I am obviously not a good picture taker...lol

Attachments

• 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 73
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 60
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 65
  • 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 50
  • 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
photo 2.jpg

i thought my viper was murdered out. nice job man its beautiful

I have this feeling this sled is gonna be one of those things where, its never done....I have not even rode the sled yet and am changing things still...:dunno:

I bought a set of new yamaha 2012 apex ski loops and installed them on the ski's. I had to machine them a little bit on the bridgeport as they are a tad bit wider on the rear stem. I think they look better being more squared off and seem to match the front bumper nice. Now the ski's dont look like the same ones everyone else has.

I also bought a yamaha mono skidframe for the sled. I am keeping it a 121. I bought the skidframe minus the electric shock for a great price, so I have to now decide wether to put in the standard manual adjust shock or go with a electric shock and aftermarket controller, or go with a fox mega float........hmmm.
I bought a manual controller set up off evil bay and will wait till it comes in and see if its gonna work with the running board braces I have on the sled.

Looks like Amato srx is gonna have to do some more black powdercoating yet...lol

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 19

Back