getting outrun is no fun!!!

i have a 2000 sxr 700,power inc. pipes,stock jetting,and the sled rips off the line,but i get passed at about 80 mph.:{ is the best solution gearing?i know i need a new belt,and probably a new secondary spring,but i have seen 117 on the speedo on a full throttle pass on the lake, it seems to allways wanna go to 9,000 rpm all day long at full throttle, and i was thinking that gearing may help with the high rpm.i tried my buddies thundercat, and i hit 100 in no time, at 8,000 rpm, and thats the kind of pull im looking for,can anyone please help?

If you still have stock jetting and clutching with triple pipes start right there. Not re-jetting as per the pipes specs is a good way to melt down your motor.

this is the second engine in the sled,my buddy bought it new,put the pipes on at 1,500 miles,not sure about the primary clutch, but everything else is stock, and i ran it hard until i lost a head gasket at 10,000 miles,antifreeze is not good for wrist pin bearings,anyway,it was fine for 8,500 miles with stock jets,and secondary clutch,and the plugs are a nice color,i dont think its the jets,im leaning more towards clutching, and gearing,anyone else have any ideas that will work?

i know that theres someone out there with the same setup as me,i guess i just gotta find them,im still thinking secondary clutch or more gearing.

its called testing..no one answer is gonna help.You have to make a change at a time and monitor it.Add a little weight ata time and get the rpms to desired level.Can't tell you how many 1000 times I have had my clutche's out to change things and still am...lol still looking for the perfect set up..thing is..snow conditions and temps one day is one thing and totally different conditions and temps the next day will drive you nuts.Set up for 90 % of what your riding consists of..but test..test..test.. 2 sleds identical and with identical set ups will run different..

your right, no two identical sleds will run the same,and i built both, but my brother in law keeps beating me,im gonna try his secondary, and see whats up,maybe i wont tell him lmao

With the others suggesting jetting it ma leap out of the hole with stock jetting but your power(torque) will suffer with an under fueled motor. For example i changed pipes on my bike and I thought it ran, sounded and performed well, until, I decided to fatten up the jetting and WOW was I surprised... I couldn't keep the front end down. Also with proper jetting you have to remember that fuel is NOT ONLY a propellant it also acts as a coolant to the tops of the pistons.

My triple piped sled runs better with taller gearing (closer to 2:1), I went the other way years ago thinking that with the pipes and the horsepower that it made that it would pull with similar gearing as my SRX but quickly learned that this was not the case. So in a nutshell you may want to look the jetting, clutching and the gearing over to get the results that you are looking for.

Which power inc pipes cneter or end dumps? The center dump pipes dont make the power that the end dumps make...

ive got the end dump pipes,and i did some research only to find that my brother in laws sled has taller gearing.we both have sx 700 engines with the same pipes,same chassis,he has more studs.we went to the pond yesterday, and he beat me 3 times, and i beat him twice,but i think that i have the answer!!!his sled is a 97, and mine is a 2000.his gears are 23-40, and mine are 22-39.ive got another set like his, and im gonna change them,i also am trying a bender racing helix 54-41,and we will see whats up then!!!ill post the results after the radar runs this weekend.

and also, i broke a primary spring, so i used what we had kicking around, its a purple spring with a 4,000 launce, and a 8,350 top rpm, seems to go to about 8,500 or 8,600 much more like what im looking for:}

Before I tripple piped the 99 SXs they responded VERY well to the following mods.
-reed spacers
-carbon tech reeds
-remove one layer from head gasket
-gut airbox
-modify exhaust silencer
-adjustable transfer rods
-light weight 1" staggered paddle camoplast track
-thundershift adjustable weights with straight 47 helix dialed in for 8500 straight shift
-jet accordingly

When these SXs were setup they embarassed a lot of much bigger supposedly higher hp sleds and were rock solid reliable

sideshowBob said:
Before I tripple piped the 99 SXs they responded VERY well to the following mods.
-reed spacers
-carbon tech reeds
-remove one layer from head gasket
-gut airbox
-modify exhaust silencer
-adjustable transfer rods
-light weight 1" staggered paddle camoplast track
-thundershift adjustable weights with straight 47 helix dialed in for 8500 straight shift
-jet accordingly

When these SXs were setup they embarassed a lot of much bigger supposedly higher hp sleds and were rock solid reliable
;)! THATS RIGHT BOB. 3:16 (yammie tony)

Go to the Tech pages and look up Turks clutching and jetting. All you need is there. Do the reed notch and save a few bucks, drop down 2 teeth on the top gear. Those sleds ripped in their time with these mods.

what do the pipes have to turn for rpm on a pull from bottom to top what is your rpm doing.proberly the reason it hasent burnt down is motor is not working hard not being clutch right.needs more weight .whats it geared any other work done

Back